Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 16:55   #16
AZT
BHPian

Re: Mahindra will not enter sedan & mini SUV segments

The XUV 300 is going to stay on. This just means they cant compete with Maruti / Hyundai / Tata in the hatchback space. Sedans are anyway losing steam so they have no incentive to invest there.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I watched the interview. I think its only the KUV & Veritos that may get replaced by an electric variant, others are likely to continue. The new boss does not look or sound like an accountant either, not afraid to admit that they went after the VFM volume segment for money and was not successful , instead will stick the core strength of the brand - rugged Bharat focused (S)UVs.

When a product`s biggest problem is its availability (Thar) , you know they`ve got a winner in their hands.
Old 5th April 2021, 18:25   #18
BHPian

A move in the right direction for M&M, they have proven (to fail) that sedans and small cars are not their cup of tea. DOT.

But I have one doubt with this, this statement is valid just for the ICE cars or EVs too? Because for better range and pricing I think companies will have to start their EV business with sedans and small hatches/SUVs!
Old 5th April 2021, 23:55   #19
BHPian

Without the hatch backs, how can Mahindra better their market share? Recent mahindra cars (marazzo, xuv300, thar) look amazing, and are safe. They have their engines lined up too. Why can't they introduce a premium hatch back and step back in the hatch back arena?!
Old 6th April 2021, 07:35   #20
BHPian

I think Mahindra should also launch xuv400, a full size Tivoli. After this, they should slightly bring down the price of xuv300 without compromising the five plus four star rating. Mahindra should also aggressively advertise that it is the safest Indian made car so that people can see value in its pricing.

Regarding hatchbacks, unfortunately Mahindra will never come with a clean classy styling. Their quirky designs won't work for a hatchback/sedan. So, it is, good for them to stick with SUVs. Let them focus on market share in revenue rather than in volumes.

Last edited by DonHyd : 6th April 2021 at 07:53.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 08:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

It looks like they are focusing on their core group of products like the Thar, Bolero, Scorpio and XUV 500. Although the logan/veritos is no more (or so I think), during it's heyday, it did sell well. But that product was already outdated on arrival & failed later due to lack of updates. If they had invested more, it could have still been a cash cow for Mahindra. Other small SUVs like the KUV & TUV 100 are less likely to be missed.

With the upcoming new gen XUV 500 & Scorpio & Success of the new gen Thar, Mahindra will have a lineup of fresh 4 products (including bolero). Better to make sure, they can produce them in enough numbers rather than have poor moving products take up the Sales floor.
Old 6th April 2021, 10:02   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Without the hatch backs, how can Mahindra better their market share? Why can't they introduce a premium hatch back and step back in the hatch back arena?!
Not just Mahindra, most other car makers have realised too that you can't compete with Maruti & Hyundai in the hatchback space where margins are razor-thin, cost-cutting is fierce and big volumes are mandatory. Even global biggies like Honda & Toyota have bowed out of competing with these 2 (Toyota now conveniently rebadges Marutis!).

Plus, when you can sell raised hatchbacks at a 30 - 50% higher price (aka crossovers), why bother?
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 10:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the KUV was a great idea, implemented badly. I would blame its overstyled, polarising looks for its fall.

I do not know why they have decided to rename TUV300 as Bolero Neo.

If we go by that logic, the TUV300 Plus should be the next Bolero.

Considering the same logic, I can imagine their 2022 lineup as:

Bolero Neo (TUV 300)
Bolero (TUV300 Plus)
Marazzo
New Scorpio
New XUV 500
ashutoshb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 10:21   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I do not know why they have decided to rename TUV300 as Bolero Neo.

If we go by that logic, the TUV300 Plus should be the next Bolero.
I've shared this earlier on the upcoming XUV 500 thread - I spoke to a relative who's a Mahindra R&D employee. He had mentioned that the TUV 300 Plus is being readied as the Bolero Plus.

Mahindra had started out in 2015 to retire the antiquated Bolero and replace it with the more modern TUV 300 but Mahindra had developed cold feet when it came down to stopping their cash cow product (the Bolero), thereby nailing the TUV 300's coffin. Their customer-base were hardcore Bolero buyers and understandably, the TUV 300 didn't do well since the Bolero was being sold alongside the TUV 300.

Now, it might be that the Bolero is finally being retired (my relative didn't know if this is going to happen either); but why did they launch the BS6 version of the Bolero then? This is one confused company, I tell you
Old 6th April 2021, 13:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

^
IMHO, brand Bolero is more closed to a rural, utilitarian image.

Don't know how much of an effect will the renaming TUV siblings as Bolero brings in urban markets.

Do three Boleros make sense? Only time will tell.
ashutoshb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 14:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this means they will discontinue products like XUV300 and TUV300. I think they will not release new products in spaces like the KUV100 and Verito. The decision of not entering the sedan segment is well thought out if you ask me. The sedan market is on the decline with very few stand outs like Dzire and City. M&M will not be able to dish out a new product and make it a success.
Old 6th April 2021, 14:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this means they will discontinue products like XUV300 and TUV300. I think they will not release new products in spaces like the KUV100 and Verito. The decision of not entering the sedan segment is well thought out if you ask me. The sedan market is on the decline with very few stand outs like Dzire and City. M&M will not be able to dish out a new product and make it a success.
Old 6th April 2021, 14:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Just a couple of days after being mightily impressed by a XUV300(petrol) and regarding it one of the apt vehicles for crisscrossing our country, comes this news.

Going by the article the XUV300 seems positive, an excerpt :
Quote:
Shah said that the company’s product “strike zone” would start from around Bolero, XUV300, Scorpio, Thar, and moving up to XUV500, and thereafter may stretch up to the new brand under Pininfarina.
They can just add the much discussed boot space and it won't be "small" by any measure

Hatchbacks/sedans were never Mahindra's forte anyway and they are better off making proper SUV's, hopefully well priced which can finally bring the much needed competition to the Seltos/Creta segment. I was banking on the Ford-Mahindra JV for this but Mahindra can do it too.

Good Luck Mahindra
Old 6th April 2021, 15:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

I'm deeply saddened by Mahindra & Mahindra's decision. I understand sedans may be out of flavour at the moment, but mini-SUVs are not. They can't hide behind any stupid accountant or finance head claiming lack of profits.

Tata has done that in recent months, & even of we ignore March number of 29k they are raking up 20k sales from under 4-meter cars. Yes those may be lesser profitable on per unit basis, but, when the numbers are on higher side profits do rise. I would say having a Tiago is better than having a KUV100.

On top of it, Mahindra's have played extremely safe, rather conservatively, by launching chopped up XUV500 as a sub 4-meter vehicle than the original Ssangyoung XLV (http://m.smotor.com/global/showroom/xlv/) which is 4.5 meters long. It could have been costlier, but it would have been a serious contender in Creta-Harrier-Hector segment. In past too, they unnecessarily chopped up Logan which was quite a spacious vehicle (including cargo space).

The Body on Frame SUVs are inherently costlier to make than monocoque ones. I'm sure Mahindra have spent billions on improvements to Scorpio's Hydroform chassis. I'm not sure if they are using same platform for other Body on Form SUVs & MUVs.

The Rexton has been the collosal overambitious failure, all due to being in wrong segment at wrong time. The Scorpio & XUV500 too old for competition & they seriously botched up Thar's sales with their chip orders. Pawan Goenka has seemingly taken credit of Behram's efforts, & I fear despite the 2021 XUV500 & Scorpio launches they may lag behind Tata, as I don't foresee both these getting more than 7k monthly numbers. Plus with the chip supplies resuming in coming months, they will have a big backlog to clear. I'm sure their dealers will make a killing with premium for early deliveries, which can erode few customers' confidence.

I think they need rejig of Management vision than just new products.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 16:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

Considering the same logic, I can imagine their 2022 lineup as:

Bolero Neo (TUV 300)
Bolero (TUV300 Plus)
Marazzo
New Scorpio
New XUV 500
Regular Bolero was just refreshed last month to BS6. I very much think it will continue to be produced for a foreseeable future now that Mahindra has spent money on renewing it.

Naming it Bolero Classic would be apt though, once these fake Boleros come out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks