Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is your take on 2-spoke steering wheels?
Thumbs up - love them! 140 35.18%
Thumbs down - I prefer 3 or 4 spoke steerings 258 64.82%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 17:18   #46
BHPian

Re: Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels

I do not know what is this fuss all about. I am okay with two or three spokes steering wheel as long as it is functional and usable.

One of our famous HCV brand had a steering wheel till recently which had only two spokes. It was one of the most iconic and most loved steering wheel, designed in the 1980s.
Attached Images

n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 22:46   #47

I prefer the two spoke steering wheel to three spoke one. Liberates space for ease of movement at the bottom of the wheel on long drives. However Citroen did/ does some of the quirkiest wheels with single spoke. Wonder if it broke on some of the cars mid corner while cornering hard! Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-citroen-single-spoke.jpeg
clarksonV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 07:42   #48
BHPian

I have often felt on turning the car that bottom portion of steering wheel is used where the third spoke is located.
The grip is less here.

After driving Zen for many years, I prefer its small two spoke steering.
It was easier to turn, easier to honk, and offered great grip.

Last edited by procrastinator : 20th April 2021 at 07:43.
Old 20th April 2021, 09:51   #49
BHPian

Voted for 3 or 4 spoke steering wheels. Most of the recent 2 spoke mass market cars' steering wheels are an eye sore. But I love the old Ashok Leyland steering wheels which Were wrapped with translucent grippers with some design/patterns underneath.
Old 20th April 2021, 11:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

It feels like the trend of mobile manufacturers removing accessories from the box

Ideally it should not matter but our eyes needs to get used to such designs. Personally i prefer the oldschool design(feels complete)
Old 20th April 2021, 11:45   #51
Team-BHP Support

I’ll refrain from voting on this one. I would have an open mind towards any design that is executed well and looks good and is good to use. Including a two spoke. But I expect it’ll be the rare two spoke that’s brilliantly executed that would appeal to me.

As a default however, my favourites would any day be either the 3 or 4 spoke. They just look more complete and substantial. In 3 spoke the sort of look that the BMW M sports steering is absolutely lovely. Same with some of the Mercedes ones. I’m sure a lot of luxury cars pull off the 4 spoke also with equal aplomb.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 21:54   #52

IMO two spoke steering wheels looks good when the steering is slimmer, like in older, vintage cars. Two spoke steering wheel on a chunky steering makes it feel as if some part is missing.
Old 21st April 2021, 01:25   #53
BHPian

There are people who love 2 spoke and there are those who don't but for me it's all about feel and comfort. I've driven new superb and boy oh boy the feel of the steering is just Superb! Skoda has provided two gaps in centre where you can rest your fingers and it is soft touch too❤️
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-6a17fdb6a735474ea9bf0fba7920abef.jpeg  

parekhakshar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:18   #54
BHPian

It's All done in the name of progress I believe. Since Governments are demanding better fuel economy weight loss plays a part in that.

The Car manufacturers under pressure to keep reducing the weight for lower Carbon footprints. This is one change I feel towards that goal.

Also the manufacturers may have taken a two-pronged approach
  1. To show that they are working towards the Zero Carbon footprint requirements keeping authorities pleased.
  2. The new design strategy will somehow be used to convey the benefits a two-spoke wheel provides as a far greener alternative and will be packaged to reflect this in their marketing claims.
Feel that this will be done in the name of conscientious manufacturing processes
Note this is purely conjectured on my part and guesswork on Marketing Depts thought processes on design change.

To turn a negative into a positive is usually a great Advertising company's brief
Personally, my choice veers away from this design
ramsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:43   #55
BHPian

Voted No.

But it's really not a big deal. I prefer a three spoke wheel. More points of leverage, and an overall balanced aesthetic (subjective, I know).

As others have pointed out - there can be good 2 spoke wheels and ugly 3 spoke wheels.

However my favourite steering wheel designs have been three or four spoked,

Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-2683845a20a94890a23662ec94bd5aa0.jpg

Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-380mmrivetedwoodgripvintagesteeringwheel2deepdishstainlesssteelspoke5.jpg

Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-mod_07_leather.jpg

On the whole I like the look of three spoke wheels - but a 2 spoke wheel wouldn't really be a dealbreaker.

Last edited by playingpossum : 23rd April 2021 at 18:47.
Old 15th October 2023, 14:28   #56
BHPian

I like a 3 spoke steering wheel. It just feels complete. And also the 2 spoke steering wheels evoke images of trucks and old Alto. In my childhood I used to think that the more number is spokes indicated larger and more expensive vehicle. An Alto came with 2 spokes. A Honda City had 3 spokes. And a fortuner had 4 spokes. Typically larger SUVs had 4 spokes. This was all in my mind. It was merely a perception that just stuck with me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks