Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 13:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago & Tigor now come with a tyre repair kit | EDIT: Spare tyre retained!

Tata Motors now offers a tyre repair kit with the Tiago and Tigor.

The tyre repair kit contains an air compressor and a liquid sealant. It can be found under the driver's seat.

Tata Tiago & Tigor now come with a tyre repair kit | EDIT: Spare tyre retained!-tata-tyre-repair-kit.jpg

In case of a slow puncture, all you need to do is plug the compressor into the 12V charging socket with the engine running and top up the air.

In case of a flat tyre, you need to screw the sealant bottle into the air compressor. Once connected, the tyre is filled with the liquid sealant, which then solidifies to seal the puncture. It's a temporary fix that will allow you to drive to the nearest puncture repair shop.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 5th May 2021 at 13:20.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:33   #2
RMN
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago & Tigor now come with a tyre repair kit | EDIT: Spare tyre retained!

So have they stopped supplying a spare tire too?
RMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago & Tigor now come with a tyre repair kit | EDIT: Spare tyre retained!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
That's the catch.
Cost, mass & space saving.
Old 5th May 2021, 13:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

In Tatas product development life cycle, the cost cutting or optimization part seems to happen after the car is in the market. Either that specific team is too slow or they are in their own world. After the car is launched, they will take a look at the finished product and realise "Hey these ICE buttons are costing so much of money, can be removed", "Spare tyre can be removed and we shall provide a repair kit". "This feature is too expensive, lets remove it".

While these things arent totally unacceptable to me, what is funny to me is that the cost optimization could have been done much earlier in the development process. Especially stuff like removing buttons etc. There was no need to develop them in the first place if it was later to be removed.
audioholic is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

In case of a major puncture this kit will be absolutely useless! Ford was the first to do it with the SE trim, looks like the company folks have never travelled on bad roads or ever repaired punctures.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In Tatas product development life cycle, the cost cutting or optimization part seems to happen after the car is in the market. Either that specific team is too slow or they are in their own world. After the car is launched, they will take a look at the finished product and realise "Hey these ICE buttons are costing so much of money, can be removed", "Spare tyre can be removed and we shall provide a repair kit". "This feature is too expensive, lets remove it".

While these things arent totally unacceptable to me, what is funny to me is that the cost optimization could have been done much earlier in the development process. Especially stuff like removing buttons etc. There was no need to develop them in the first place if it was later to be removed.

Vehicle developments start 3-4 years before its launched. At that time, something like this wouldn't have been on their minds at all. You must understand that these cost cutting measures and done keeping in mind cost savings for the company as the No.1 priority. Departments compete to see who can generate maximum cost saving and there could be incentives too.
Even small changes translate in to 10s of Crores when you take the entire supply chain in to view. Medium to major changes like these easily saves them 100s of crores

Oh, and I'm pretty sure what we view as "Cost cutting" they view it as "VALUE ENGINEERING" and will be pretty smug about their achievement.
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:15   #7
BHPian

Removing spare tyre is the 1 of the worst ways of cost cutting. Even in countries like New Zealand, Canada where we have mostly good roads, we might find a need of spare wheel in case we travel to countryside (where we can find some no so good roads) in case we face cut on tyres which cannot be repaired with that puncture repair kit. We need a spare tyre (even if it’s a space saver) to take us to nearest tyre shop.
And in India, situation is worse as apart from some highways or expressways, we find broken roads everywhere. I don’t know what to do if someone face tyre burst or cuts on tyres if there is no spare wheel in car. But government should be blamed too for not making it compulsory for automakers to provide spare wheel as standard equipment. Companies are making use of this and finding it easiest way to save costs without thinking about negatives of this.
Old 5th May 2021, 14:17   #8
BHPian

I guess its in line with the notification from MoRTH INDIA, if spare tyre is lost it looks like TPMS should be added.

MoRTH notifies regulations for tyres, safety glass, external projections, etc under CMVR

Quote:
Tyre Repair Kit has been prescribed: During incident of tyre puncture (tubeless tyre), with the use of repair kit, the sealant poured into the tyre along with the air seals the punctured spot in the tyre tread.

The requirement of the additional tyres has been done away with in such vehicles if provided with the Tyre repair kit and TPMS has been provided. This is as per the international standards which will enable more space which may accommodate batteries for EVs etc.
Link

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 5th May 2021 at 14:25.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In Tatas product development life cycle, the cost cutting or optimization part seems to happen after the car is in the market.
This is not something Tata has brought about by themselves. This seems pursuant to the following notification by the Government last year.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...pare-tyre.html (New government notification says vehicles with up to 8 seats need not carry a spare tyre)

I agree this is silly! For the manufacturers this is translates to cost savings and bettering of their margins. Maybe the government is throwing them a cookie as compensation for the hefty taxes which anyway affect manufacturer margins? For a country like India, a spare tyre is an absolute necessity in your car.

However times are changing and many now seem to prefer an app to call a puncture-walla rather than changing the tyre themselves. I belong to the latter old-school category.
Miel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:28   #10
BHPian

Car makers would gladly jump at any opportunity they get to save costs. Now that it is no longer mandatory to offer a spare wheel, I would expect all car makers to dump it in the next couple of years. This is also a great opportunity for dealerships to sell the spare wheel separately; Most people would want one, and the dealer could easily charge 10k for it.

While it is not exactly convenient to be stranded in the middle of nowhere without a spare, one can't help but notice that quite a lot of people get stranded in the middle of nowhere even if they have one - that is because quite a few car owners do not even know how to change a tyre.

Quote:
The ministry said that tyre repair kit has been prescribed in case of a puncture while requirement of the additional tyre has been done away with in such vehicles provided with the tyre repair kit and TPMS, the statement said.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...473370668.html
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Believe the spare tire is still provided along with the repair kit, if you go by the video below:-

Also, they have removed the parking sensors in the top end variant as it has a reversing camera.

Isn't the parking sensors mandatory as per the government norms ?

Last edited by Car Architect : 5th May 2021 at 14:37.
Car Architect is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
Believe the spare tire is still provided along with the repair kit, if you go by the video below:-

Also, they have removed the parking sensors in the top end variant as it has a reversing camera.

To be able to remove the spare they need to provide a TPMS system, so in all likelihood it might come soon and the spare tyre will be removed.

On parking sensors, the regulation says rear parking assist which can be either sensor OR camera based, hence they meet the regulation !
fiat_tarun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post

This is taking cost cutting too far. Sensors are more useful than camera. The beeps help judge how far the obstacle is. With camera it is difficult to judge the distance . Ideal would be to provide both sensor and camera. That is the best option. Sensor over camera any day. As is they have reduced the number of sensors from 4 to 2, which is OK, since the newer sensors are engineered to cover almost 170 degree.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is Tata's version of "Buy before price rise"

Generally we are all apprehensive of buying a V1 of a tata product. This looks like a stick approach to solving that problem (rather than the carrot approaches most manufacturers use - discounts, launch pricing etc)

They launch a product with all the bells and whistles, get a nice review based on it, and then hold the damocles sword of decontenting to force you to buy it earlier than later.

In this scenario, I think buying a new tata car either v1 or v2 does not makes sense. A pre owned earlier model car looks like the best option (for people who actually want to buy a tata car!)
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:50   #15
BHPian

I would never buy a car that does not have a spare wheel or the space for a spare wheel. I would happily buy some other car.

What do I do when my tyre bursts on the highway(I have already faced this situation)? Use the sealant?! Come on!

Last edited by Benoit : 5th May 2021 at 15:52.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks