Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 16:15   #76
BHPian

Re: Curious case of the Mahindra Scorpio - How does it manage consistently strong sales numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
By which you mean the 140ps 2018 one and then this upcoming new Scorpio I suppose? I have a 2015 S10 myself (2wd though) and will be keeping it another few years, but I would like to hear from you what you feel is the reduction in vfm.
The 140PS / 320Nm / six-speed is the only update on the S11 besides minor cosmetic mods. But the on-road price is now Rs 20.5 lakh and that too for the 2WD (M&M discontinued the 4WD version when it brought in the BS-6 iteration, and it axed the AT version before getting the S11). In 2015, the 4WD S10 5MT was 13.97 lakh ex-showroom, and I ended up paying about Rs 16.4 lakh on-road. A Rs 4 lakh-plus price increase for 20 bhp 40 nm and an extra cog, but minus the 4wd isn't worth it.

That said, the upcoming one looks promising (recent spy pics show dual-zone climate control as well). I hear it will retain 4wd with low-range (and with terrain modes added) among other goodies. Of course, the price is likely to go up by at least another couple of lakhs, if not more. So my guess is close to Rs 24 lakh on-road! Will it be VFM? I'll reserve my opinion on that until the launch.
Roshun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:09   #77
BHPian

Re: Curious case of the Mahindra Scorpio - How does it manage consistently strong sales numbers?

One factor that has not been discussed here is the safety aspect. The Scorpio infamously scored Zero Stars in the Global NCAP in 2016, as they had tested the base model without airbags. Even then, the level of cabin intrusion was terrifying to say the least.

Granted, now Airbags and ABS are standard on all variants, thanks to government mandates, but considering that the majority of users/admirers (Myself included) here seem to praise the Scorp's mile munching abilities, this is a rather serious downside of the current Scorpio. It was one of the reasons why my family ruled out the Scorpio and the Bolero when we were car-shopping in 2016 (budget was a reason too ).

It's funny how many of the features we now take for granted were optional extras back in 2016. Forget Airbags, even ABS was an option and something that the showroom folk actively discouraged buyers from choosing as it meant delayed delivery. For the TUV3OO, ABS and Airbags were available on the + variants, right from the base version (T4+), but not for the Scorpio, IIRC.

For all the love that is showered on the Scorpio, I feel that Mahindra should have done something to update it safetywise. But then, there is very little that can be done to patch up a 20 year old design to today's safety norms. I'm 100% sure that the next gen Scorp will clear the NCAP with a 5 star rating. After all, Mahindra was able to achieve 4 stars in 2018 for their BoF Marazzo.

They have managed to go from this...

Curious case of the Mahindra Scorpio - How does it manage consistently strong sales numbers?-screenshot-20210525-153436.png

to This...

Curious case of the Mahindra Scorpio - How does it manage consistently strong sales numbers?-screenshot-20210525-160219.png

and that is commendable.

I hope that the nexGen Scorpio will continue to have affordable lower end variants to cater to those who need no nonsense, abuse friendly, reliable companions at affordable prices. I hope they follow the early Scorpio policies and offer 4WD and auto transmission right from the base/mid variants.
vivekgk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:47   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
One factor that has not been discussed here is the safety aspect. The Scorpio infamously scored Zero Stars in the Global NCAP in 2016, as they had tested the base model without airbags. Even then, the level of cabin intrusion was terrifying to say the least.

For the TUV3OO, ABS and Airbags were available on the + variants, right from the base version (T4+), but not for the Scorpio, IIRC.
Slightly off topic - here's a TUV 300 that hit a Fortuner at a very high speed. Its cabin remained intact. And as per news from the Cyberabad police on their FB page, no one died in this accident. The point I'm trying to make is that Mahindra have been working on making their cars safe to the extent possible, bit by bit. I know the TUV 300 isn't considered a "safe" car per se, with no NCAP ratings to speak of. But this accident footage, and another one that I recall where a base variant (with no airbags) took on a lorry head-on at highway speeds and its cabin too remained intact.

Caveat: I can't tell if energy dissipation and prevention of injuries to occupants is a good as it can be. But still, for this car's cabin to hold up despite such horrific crashes...it's speaks to Mahindra's stress on safety.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Tata should not have let the Hexa expire. It had a proper Body on frame build, and had optional 4x4 and AT. It has left the Scorpio alone at the top of it's price range.
If someone from TATA is reading this, the only issue in the HEXA was its name, relaunching it in BS6 avatar with the SUMO name, will make it a Safari like hit. Just a low hanging fruit, wonder why Tata is sleeping? What may be missing is some blingy effects, like stickers, lights, which I am not a big fan of but may turn heads elsewhere.

The Safari would not be having these numbers today, if it had been named a Buzzard or Harrier+ or Gravitas.

Name matters!

Last edited by pandabear : 22nd June 2021 at 11:13.
pandabear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:30   #80
BHPian

Lots of Boleros have been sold in past years, especially in rural India. Scorpio is a natural upgrade for Bolero for most people. Hence, lots of Bolero owners might be exchanging their old Boleros for Scorpios. My 2 cents. I could be totally wrong.
Old 17th May 2022, 11:06   #81
Senior - BHPian

^ You are not wrong, Scorpio is a darling in rural areas. Not just Bolero, a new Scorpio is an upgrade over old Scorpio too. My mama upgraded from battered first gen Scorpio to, you guessed it - another Scorpio around 2015 because his family finally started complaining about manure smell drenched in whole car for years. It was in shambles, run into the ground but would still start and run every day.

His son my cousin, now an earning member working as a contractor bought his own Scorpio last year too. To sum it up, in last two decades their entire household has only bought Scorpios and nothing else. If my cousin keeps his latest Scorpio for another 10 years (which he very well will), that would be 3 Scorpios in 3 decades and nothing else! The choices are very limited for those folks, Bolero on lower end and Scorpio on the higher end.
Old 17th May 2022, 12:01   #82
BHPian

Scorpio's success is essentially backed by the success of Bolero.

Bolero, you see, is a no non-sense workhorse for many in tier 3 cities, semi-urban and rural India. It has proved itself over ages - backed by Mahindra's service network, easy availability of parts and friendly on pocket repairs at FNGs.

Visit the hills and you will see only M and M being dominant there - Maruti and Mahindra. Again, for same reasons as listed above.

Scorpio is a more premium offering from Mahindra which has same attributes as the Bolero. So in short, it is an aspirational offering from Mahindra which people already trust. And Mahindra has done it right with Scorpio by giving it the right attention as it has given to Bolero.
Old 17th May 2022, 15:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Some credit must be given to Indian film industry. All Bollywood, Tollywood & rest all industry use Mahindra cars frequently, mainly Bolero and Scorpio. Police, Hero, Villain & others shows using Scorpio, Bolero. In last few years, Scorpio is shown as stylish, robust car in countless movies. Such free advertisement must be helping Mahindra for sure to build a brand. People, specially from tier 2 and 3 cities or rural people certainly get impressed by it. Just remember Singham movie, how Ajay Devgan shown in Scorpio. Mahindra is lucky to get such free advertisement for them.
Old 17th May 2022, 15:42   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Granted, now Airbags and ABS are standard on all variants, thanks to government mandates, but considering that the majority of users/admirers (Myself included) here seem to praise the Scorp's mile munching abilities, this is a rather serious downside of the current Scorpio. It was one of the reasons why my family ruled out the Scorpio and the Bolero when we were car-shopping in 2016 (budget was a reason too ).

For all the love that is showered on the Scorpio, I feel that Mahindra should have done something to update it safetywise. But then, there is very little that can be done to patch up a 20 year old design to today's safety norms. I'm 100% sure that the next gen Scorp will clear the NCAP with a 5 star rating. After all, Mahindra was able to achieve 4 stars in 2018 for their BoF Marazzo.

They have managed to go from this...

Attachment 2160448

to This...

Attachment 2160455
Oh man! This video shattered my dream of getting a Scorpio for my parents in 2019.
Tbh, the way current gen Scorpio's cabin crumples in that video, it is as if the passengers are the crumple zones. It is clear that the Scorpio wasn't upgraded at chassis level for energy dissipation for the past decade or more. It maybe a rugged workhorse, a reliable shut it forget it SUV but it's at absolute bottom when it comes to crash-worthiness.
Good riddance to be honest! Looking forward to the new Scorpio as Mahindra is more safety focusse now.
Old 17th May 2022, 16:16   #85
BHPian

I chanced upon this thread today - reading all the comments about Scorpio and why it is such a hit + safety concerns, wanted to share my experience

1. I have been a Scorpio fanboy - my first vehicle was a 2005 Scorpio. I changed it to a new gen Scorpio in 2010.
2. In 2016, i met with an accident on highway - banged with a tractor coming at high speed, the collision was not head on, but on the passenger door - but the impact was such that the Scorpio was thrown at least 10 feet and banged in a wall on the driver side. The car was totalled! Even with such an impact - by God's grace - other than a fractured collar bone - we did not suffer any injury. I can surely vouch for the "safety" of Scorpio due to this incident.

Also, when I bought my second Scorpio in 2010 - other than the engine that all have talked about, the car came loaded to gills with features. It was the first car below the luxury models that had -

TPMS, AutoWipers, AutoHeadlamp, AutoStart / stop (u pressed the clutch for it to start back up on red lights, this is a feature that premium cars like BMW, etc used to have at that time), Bluetooth connectivity, handsfree talking........ and the list goes on.

I think this was - among other things - instrumental in the numbers that Scorpio did and continues to do.

But in 2016 - when we were looking to buy another car, i bought XUV500 because of the cabin. Infact, i had booked a Jeep Compass, but it had a long waiting line, and i was simply browsing other cars as well - went to see the new Scorpio, but sat in XUV500 before sitting in Scorpio, and that was a deal breaker - the interiors were too tired...

However, as pointed out by someone before - XUV500 does not have the road presence of a Scorp. My wife drove the Scorp extensively - and still after 5 years of XUV feels nostalgic about the Scorp - "nothing else will do" Truly

Picture of the damaged Scorp :(. It still get trauma looking at this

Curious case of the Mahindra Scorpio - How does it manage consistently strong sales numbers?-img_1245.jpg

Last edited by sach.sri : 17th May 2022 at 16:32. Reason: adding picture
sach.sri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 16:25   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Some credit must be given to Indian film industry. All Bollywood, Tollywood & rest all industry use Mahindra cars frequently, mainly Bolero and Scorpio. Police, Hero, Villain & others shows using Scorpio, Bolero. In last few years, Scorpio is shown as stylish, robust car in countless movies. Such free advertisement must be helping Mahindra for sure to build a brand. People, specially from tier 2 and 3 cities or rural people certainly get impressed by it. Just remember Singham movie, how Ajay Devgan shown in Scorpio. Mahindra is lucky to get such free advertisement for them.
On the contrary I find it counter productive.

In most movies Scorpio is the preferred car to be blown up, set alight or shot up 30 foot into the rear. It's the Indian film industry's current favourite for being totalled in a scene. It used to be old Impalas (or similar big American cars), then Contessas/Ambassadors, then Sumos.... and now that the stocks of these old cars have dried up it's currently the turn of the Scorpios to meet with a tragic end.

So much so that when I see a character driving an old Scorpio in a scene, I know he/she's going to meet a tragic end!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:58   #87
BHPian

Just my experience with the Scorpio. I drive the Scorpio whenever I visit Bangalore. Its an old one, there are two more SUVs in the family. So the Scorpio is the beater. And I love it to bits. Its ungainly, there's absolutely no space between your elbows and the door, the brakes are an afterthought, its like a whale, somehow I get the feeling its hydroplaning even when there's not a drop of rain or wet roads anywhere. And its huge! Absolutely great to lug a full house to rock shows, comic cons, Santes, airport runs thru narrow back roads. It drives better when loaded.
But there's not a single car on the road that can match the level of respect it receives from the BMTC buses, water tankers, sand trucks, delivery vans, Ubers, 2 wheelers, Autos and what not. Bangalore is a city of U turns, and with the Scorpio I've come to realize, that you really don't need to watch for wayward missiles trying to squeeze in or intimidate you. They all wait for the King to do his three point U turn. Non Scorpio drivers, this is a phenomenon you have to experience! And just this seals the deal. Yes, your arms and knees are shot at end of a commute, but you and your steed are the victors at the end of a hard day in Bangalore's hellish traffic. Yes its an ugly thing, but its a beast you have to tame. Spend time in it and you will feel you can take it anywhere. Just practice your Yoga...
jazzrockz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 17:57   #88
BHPian

First a disclaimer: I own a 2017 S4+ 4WD Scorpio.

It would be interesting to see which areas account for majority of the sales.

These vehicles (Scorpio/Boleros) are rugged, mechanically simple to maintain and have go anywhere attitude. That's why they are loved (and hated).

Like any vehicle, Scorpio has its share of plus and minuses. It has a torquey engine, tough build, sufficient leg room in first and second row, large cargo space if last row is not used.

With it's high GC and 4WD, it inspires confidence in the rugged terrain like that of Spiti and Ladakh. Its a practical family vehicle. It can be the only vehicle in garage for daily runs as well as those excursions into the hinterlands.

Another factor in favor of Scorpio is limited options in this price tag, if one is looking for a high GC, 4WD along with a wide ASC as well FNGs network. While buying, I was torn between doubly priced Fortuner and Scorpio. This was turning to be a head vs heart decision and finally head won.

The major drawback is on the ergonomic + fit and finish front. The driver seat is not as comfortable as my Swift. A Rs 4.5 Lakhs 2006 model Swift gives more plush feeling as compared to a Rs. 14 Lakhs 2017 model Scorpio.

M&M have enough room for improvement here. Or it's a market strategy to sell more premium and comfortable XUV !!!
manchandap is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks