Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 17:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
1. Accept the fact that this will happen, get it fixed and move on.

2. Personally, I would rather live with the lemon I know and look at all the virtues that made me buy a car rather than getting flustered about what people will think if my car on occasion leaves me stranded.
Agree that there's no perfect vehicle, there will be niggles and issues which will be sorted out over time. Whether local or global whether launching new or localising an existing model.

But breakdowns and repeated issues fall in a different category, IMO.

1. This is how it's supposed to work but the situation changes when SC/dealership/company either denies issues or fails to fix it repeatedly. The customer support or lack thereof makes things unbearable.

2. I would too if it's something minor and I don't think anyone really cares about what others think when they're stranded but being stranded is the concern here.
And if the car is out of operation every few weeks/months that defeats the purpose of the purchase and will trigger most people, especially if its their only car, to bear losses and get rid of it.

Responses we see are based on the people and situations.
While an issue in a new car is a bummer but if its handled well by the SC and not repeated won't invoke any significant ire. But when the same thing happens thrice that will invoke an angry response however big or small the issue is.
Add to it the situation, a car not starting at home is different than it not starting somewhere on the highway with full load of passengers, at uncomfortable hours. Relative response to be expected.

The reason I would buy a new car would be to have a fuss free experience for the next 5years at least, that's why we take the extended warranties. That's not too much to ask, and if the new car/company whatever the price fails in that purpose, it has failed, IMO.

Again and IMHO if the SC/Company's response was satisfactory and effective we wouldn't even be discussing this would we ?

Jumping in uninvited abhatt but hope it helps, ignore otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Will this be applicable for facelifts too? So that I understand you better.
Depends, assuming its just cosmetic changes then not a concern. But if say the ICE has been changed to a HU then can expect minor niggles.
And if the AC controls have been moved to the ICE then there's potential of bigger issues in case the ICE hangs. Hope you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
1. Is this applicable for a Jeep Compass 2021 which mainly changed it's interiors and nothing more?
2. How about Safari which is technically inheriting a lot from Harrier?
3. What about Punch which is technically a combination of many existing TATA cars?
4. Finally, the new Amaze which I don't know if it did change anything?
1. Shouldn't be a concern mechanically but the overall digitization could have some potential issues like mentioned earlier.
2. The Harrier is still reporting issues and so is the Safari, check their reviews and issues already reported on the forum.
3. True, but being a new car, risks involved, reported issues with TML cars don't inspire much confidence.
4. Check here (2021 Honda Amaze Facelift : A Close Look).

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd October 2021 at 21:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 00:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars

Makes sense to restrict this to just vehicles as we are an auto forum. But isn’t this a fact of life in our country for almost everything? I bet it’s the same story with home buyers. Look at Banks pushing insurance schemes in the name of investments. I feel one almost always needs to have their guards up and you can be conned at the drop of a hat and there is very little recourse available to help you. Sad, I know but unfortunately that’s how it is.
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 02:18   #33
BHPian

Knowledge is power! Before parting with hard-earned money, one should do proper research. Otherwise, there is bound to be disappointment.

One should learn from others experiences. In Computer Science, it is called Reuse.

Before I came across TBHP, I used to believe whatever the SA said. Thankfully, I owned a Maruti then, so I did not lose much.

Like @Dry Ice pointed out, this applies to all things in life. Sadly, knowledge even in this Internet age is asymmetric. For all things related to autos, one should not venture without consulting TBHP.

I again reiterate my request to the mods. While all information is available they are spread over multiple threads. It will be difficult for people to navigate. Request to create a section/thread for lifecycle of auto ownership and link all relevant threads together. Like a home page for getting key information.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 07:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Had jokingly made this observation a while ago :
Seems like a competition going on, between manufacturers and dealers alike, to see who can treat the ICB the worst after getting 20 lakhs from them.

This was true earlier with Kia and its dealers leading the pack, would've been MG before that, TML was maintaining a podium position since a long time but now they've pipped Kia to reclaim their top spot with
Skoda in pursuit.

Hope this competition ends someday for the betterment of the ICB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Makes sense to restrict this to just vehicles as we are an auto forum. But isn’t this a fact of life in our country for almost everything?
True and agree, but affects more in cars since their purpose is to take the ICB somewhere, without fail and when it doesn't it starts to cost time and money defeating that purpose. Also it would be a significant amount of money going bad and becoming a liability in one go, for some.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th October 2021 at 09:05. Reason: edited
Old 7th October 2021, 20:12   #35

My personal view on this is that even if you can't resist waiting 4-5 years after the launch of a fresh model, the minimum threshold should be 2 years of age. All of the cars we've owned have been bought exactly 2 years after their launch (Indigo '02 launch bought in '04, Spark '07 launch bought in '09, City '08 launch bought in '10, XUV500 '11 launch bought in '13, Brio '11 launch bought in '15, Tiago '16 launch bought in '18 and Verna '17 launch bought in '19) and they generally turn out to be niggle free for the most part.
Autocaptive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 19:01   #36
BANNED

I have recently purchased Skoda Kushaq despite the fact that it was launched as recently as three months back and there were reported 'EPC' issues and lot of hue and cry happened over the social media. It is pertinent to remember that driving a newly launched vehicle is a head turner and a reason for whispers around leaving the owner with a sense of pride.

It leaves me convinced that if one is buying a branded Car from a renowned manufacturer having years of manufacturing experience to back up, the probability of it turning lemon is minimum and if at all there are initial issues the brand will live up to its market perception to resolve it at the earliest. German and Japanese Engineering and Quality are confidence inspiring and trutworthy.

Sylogistically, owning a newly launched vehicle is a low risk bargain for the pride of being its' initial owner.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars-img_20211001_161942.jpg  

kapursaket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapursaket View Post
1. It is pertinent to remember that driving a newly launched vehicle is a head turner and a reason for whispers around leaving the owner with a sense of pride.
2. It leaves me convinced that if one is buying a branded Car from a renowned manufacturer having years of manufacturing experience to back up, the probability of it turning lemon is minimum
3. and if at all there are initial issues the brand will live up to its market perception to resolve it at the earliest.
1. I never understood this concept but its a matter of personal preference.
Congrats for the new car

2. Well we have reports which point in the opposite direction, Kushaq's issues being the latest and many more already reported from "renowned" manufacturers. Was recently checking this funny thread (PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!).

3. Agree with this somewhat. A more seasoned/reputed manufacturer will have better processes to deal with the issues and overall a better customer experience. But the living up to its perception part isn't always true, we have reported examples of those as well. If the customers are happy they're good, whichever manufacturer that is.

We're just trying to understand some hard ground realities(otherwise hidden) and learn from the experiences of others so that we are better informed.
But in the end the golden rule of to each its own holds true with a final outcome of enjoying the drives/rides, whatever it is.

Last edited by shancz : 11th October 2021 at 22:06. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:04   #38
BHPian

I also absolutely agree to wait for a year or two for the manufacturer to sort out the niggles.

But my experience,

2009 : Ford Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDci Sxi : worked like clockwork. It was a very old and evolved model in their global model portfolio.
2012 : All New Fiesta Titanium (bought within a yr of launch): the best driver's car i have driven in C2 category. Was very reliable. Had two warranty claims in coolant leak and steering rack. This was identified during the routine maintenance schedule. I regret the selling this car at 3.5yrs and 68000kms on the odo.
2013 : Fiat Linea 1.3 mjD Emotion (5yrs of launch): Still holding onto the car. 140000 kms on the odo. Did have its fair share of niggles. Wheel alignment, front left wheel bearing and headlights warranty replacements within first six months. Since those has been largely niggle free.
2015 : Hyundai Elite i20 (within 6 month of launch): Wonderful features. Did not have any warranty claims. Only routine service. But the engine and gearbox combo was around in previous gen i20 and Verna. Only the body shape was radically different. Sold at 2yrs and 48000kms due to a major accident.
2017 : VW Vento Highline 1.5 TDi AT (about 4yrs after launch of AT) : Has the infamous DQ200 gearbox. What a pleasure to drive. Bought after 4yrs of launch. Has 95000 on the odo. Works like a clock work. Warranty claim only for driver seat frame. Engine and Transmission combo was around for more than 4yrs by which time niggles were sorted out.

In my opinion, cars today are getting added with many electronics and gizmos. That's where the niggles come from. Cars are getting loading with lot of tech these days. Just like phones, need constant updating.
svmvale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 22:57   #39
BHPian

Thoughts on creating a leaderboard for cars/brands with most legit issues reported by forum members? Could be an unofficial J D Power ranking right here on T-BHP. We can call it T B Power or something, our own version of Vox populi

More importantly, it would drive manufacturers to try and drive down niggles in their models if these were made more visible to all.

Requirement would be legitimate issues only, with the following checklist met (members and mods can add on to this list, it may not be comprehensive enough):
1. Is it a recurring problem, or if one-time, has it stopped the car from working altogether?
2. Has the customer taken steps to get it resolved through the dealer/SC?
3. How many times has the problem returned after trying to get it resolved through official channels?
4. Attach proofs of service center conversations/bills etc.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 18:15   #40
BHPian

We took our new car Tata Altroz to home today. I did PDI before and found nothing to worry about. But after taking car to home, I noticed below things.
1) Rust on Disk Brakes (both sides)
2) Uneven paint finish near spare wheel space.

Is this Ok. I am new to car world and this is our first brand new car. I am worried. Do I need to visit service center to get them fixed?
The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars-20220606_160450.jpg

The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars-20220606_164327.jpg

Last edited by sany0023 : 6th June 2022 at 18:35. Reason: Need to attach images
sany0023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 18:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sany0023 View Post
Is this Ok. I am new to car world and this is our first brand new car. I am worried.
It is normal to have such rust on the disks after exposing them to water. Nothing to worry. Drive for few kilometers and that will disappear. And the uneven paint finish too is common in most cars at such not exposed areas. Enjoy your new car.
sreerknair is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 20:16   #42
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

Today while cleaning my new Altroz (delivered a week ago), I have found that it is repainted near right rear wheel arch to hide some scratches. The repainted surface is rough and it is completely different from other shiny areas. While doing PDI this problem was not there. I took delivery 1 week after I inspected the vehicle. Something happened in between, and to hide that my car was repainted. During delivery day, I couldn't locate this issue since this is not easy to find just by looking from a distance. This is clearly felt when we look from an angle or if we touch it.

I have written to TAMO customer care and yet receive reply from them. I have informed this to dealer too and they are also not ready to give any answers as of now.

I want to know what's the best way to handle this situation? What is the maximum claim (if any, in any manner) that I can ask for?

The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars-repaint-issue.jpeg
Old 15th June 2022, 22:33   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
[*] Always prefer global models and platforms. If you have the budget, avoid India-specific developed cars. The global products and platforms are built for countries with strict standards and have a lower probability of being a lemon.
There are very few models that are sold in the US or Western Europe that are also sold in India for under 50 lakhs. The few that are, like the i20 from Hyundai ; Swift and S-Cross from Suzuki or Jazz from Honda are sold in India with lower specs.
Old 16th June 2022, 10:45   #44
BHPian

Today we have fuel pump failures reported in Kia-Hyundai turbo-petrols, AC issues in VW/Skoda cars, DPF issues in BS6-diesels. Prices are exorbitant and issues are such that owners are either stranded or miserable.

Sometimes it makes me wonder whether do we really need all these electronic gizmos and software rather than have good mechanicals and sturdy build quality. I wonder if base variants are better with lesser electronics? Something is seriously amiss.

All said and done, simple and best approach is what GTO mentioned and that's something I have followed way back. Avoid that temptation for 1 or 2 years and then take that car. I also feel that products based on global platforms would have better quality norms and one should go for it before localization / cost-cutting starts.

Patience is definitely a virtue and needs to be put to practice more than ever now.
SSD2122 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 12:47   #45
BHPian

My experiences:

2005 Swift VXI - First batch buyer when the car was launched. I had almost no issues.

2009 Maruti 800 - Car was in production for a long long time. No issues.

2011 XUV - First batch buyer when the car was launched. The XUV thread has almost 20+ complaints from me. Many others had similar complaints. Not a great experience. But all issues were resolved.

2017 Audi A4 : No issues

2022 Jeep Compass: 10 days in workshop. Jokers are unable to fix a simple rattling noise.

So I had a mix bag of experiences.

Of all the above, I put my compass experience as the worst. Car was a facelift. But the Manufacturer is a seasoned one. What do I say. Just unlucky.

Next time around I will do some special Pooja before getting the car home.
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed