Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:56   #16
BHPian

[/quote]
@ Raja _ NO idea how long you should wait but MUL is too busy concentration of the Swift D and the SX4 and the soon to be launched Vitara and SX4 DDIS[/quote]

Any chance they might launch a ZDi trim of Swift D?
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

maruti's biggest challenge will be to manage production constraints no matter what engine they get or which engine they plonk into what car of theirs. hopefully maruti will make efforts to remain market leader with this issue bogging them down badly and before it translates into utter customer dissatisfaction.

the m series engine on swift must only give it even better power/driveability characteristics. but please also do something to the interiors and space maruti.
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

GeekSrik... I think it will happen the other way round. I mean the interior and trim bit of the Swifts. Khattar is a canny fellow. We all saw what he did with the Swift DDiS. There is no ZDi (equiv to ZXi) trim available. This was done to keep the car within a price range. We can very safely assume that if Maruti brings in the M series engines in Swift then they will do a Hyundai on us.

Remember what happened to Santro? They launched the eRLX engine and then within months changed the variant names (earlier XS, XG etc...) to XO and XL. The top end XO (arguably the equivalent of XS) lost a whole lot of goodies from it. These included the spoiler, rear wiper and such stuff. Its another matter that Hyundai has now launched a Limited Ed Santro with all those missing goodies plus a few more and selling them at a higher price (and its selling well, I understand).

Expect the reduction in goodies to be even more severe in the Swift to keep the costs down. In fact the reason Maruti chose to remain with the old engine (albeit "extensively re-engineered") instead of the standard VVTi engine was to keep the costs down.
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:41   #19
BHPian

its about time maruti took initiative in bringing out a true sports hatch. (if they paint the hub caps body colour and put some fancy stickering on and call it "SWIFT celebration" i swear to god.....somebody gonna get a hurt real bad!)

the sports model can be more mod friendly..... maybe a bigger engine, DOHC, VVT.....so on. they might not sell in fat numbers but i;m sure they wont go bust either.
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:46   #20
BHPian

can you please give the link? If swift goes to 1.5 ltr the pice will also go upwards, what about that? Also when this should happen?
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i swear to god.....somebody gonna get a hurt real bad!)
Thats something we should have done when the launched the alto celebration crap with chinese written on the body and body coloured stell wheels : ***

Quote:
Any chance they might launch a ZDi trim of Swift D?
And high time MUL launched a ZXi version of the Swift Diesel. Just to instal a defogger you have to change the rear glass and since all rear glasses with defogger have provision for wiper made in them you have to install a wiper as well and since there is no provision of wiper motor in the stock door you have to go for the ZXi door and since operation of the defogger is through the Climate control you have to install that also resulting in a cost of a defogger going to about 25k

Last edited by BUSA : 22nd May 2007 at 13:36. Reason: I am angry so angry emotion i wanted to display :)
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:37   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
its about time maruti took initiative in bringing out a true sports hatch.
I totally agree. Maruti can most definitely afford to do so. Launching the Swift Sport here would be a great lift in the image of an economy car maker.

Incidentally, the only car company to have launched a proper "sports" version in India is Skoda with the RS. And just see how well it was received even at a price of 15 lakhs.

I can only imagine the response Maruti would receive for a 125hp hot hatch priced at 7 lakhs!
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

OT:

I have never understood Maruti's intent in missing out on something as basic as a de-fogger! That was one of the reasons I switched from the Baleno LXi to the Petra.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

When Khattar had announced this some 1 month back, he said the M-series engines will be available from 2009 onwards.
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:09   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats something we should have done when the launched the alto celebration crap with chinese written on the body and body coloured stell wheels : ***
That was not Alto celebration. That "chinese" scripted car you are talking about is the Alto XFun (lot of ppl seem to pronounce it derisively as xfoon, xfool etc).
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:44   #26
BHPian

@zappo, a neighbour of mine has the xfun and man, does it look awful! That dawn red colour with the stickers and those red wheel caps!!
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

spin, i think u are talking about sunlight copper its not red. the red wheel caps do look horrible though.
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:01   #28
BHPian

@geek, no it's certainly not sunlight copper - man, that colour rocks! The xFun was launched in a new colour called Dawn Red... Actually that colour was good too, but the red wheel caps and stickering made it look bad.
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The top end XO (arguably the equivalent of XS) lost a whole lot of goodies from it. These included the spoiler, rear wiper and such stuff.
The XO still has rear viper & defogger what it lacks from previous top end is spoiler & wheel caps(XO now gets hub caps)

Quote:
I can only imagine the response Maruti would receive for a 125hp hot hatch priced at 7 lakhs!
I doubt they would do this from what they are doing currently, they seem to be targetting competion & putting products in that category at lower prices, I dont see any competition where they can pitch the 125 bhp & lac hatch. It might turn out to be a Baleno & we should remember what happened with the Palio 1.6 GTX when launched at 7+ lacs
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:29   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

As someone rightly pointed out, selling a 125bhp hatch at 7L is not going to work out really smooth. Prime example of this is the GTX.

However, dont expect the M-series engines to be launched on the swift anywhere soon. Right now MUL is having nightmares getting the necessary engines for the swift diesel (6 months waiting period) , swift petrol (3 months waiting for certain colours) & the SX4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks