Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:21   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you driven them? Be interesting to here.

Smart is tiny.
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:34   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Tiptronics and CVTs with fake shift points alleviate this to an extent but there is still lag, like it or not.
The lag [time that the wheels are without power], is reputedly less with a tiptronic dual clutch transmission than with manual shifting. Will try to find the link to this.
Old 24th August 2007, 01:02   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

I would think that almost all auto boxes are quicker at changing gear than us humans are.

What is being complained about is the reaction time before the gear change.
Old 24th August 2007, 07:12   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I would think that almost all auto boxes are quicker at changing gear than us humans are.

What is being complained about is the reaction time before the gear change.
I agree Thad but with a tiptronic that lag is eliminated is it not? You decide the precise moment when you want to shift.
Old 24th August 2007, 07:41   #110
BHPian

I wish Smart coming to India. Smart has nice looks, smooth drive. Good city car with many features of C segment cars.
Old 24th August 2007, 09:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I agree Thad but with a tiptronic that lag is eliminated is it not? You decide the precise moment when you want to shift.
If you can downshift with paddles, the lag is not so much pronounced and quite nice but otherwise the lag is pretty severe.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:45   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Paddles is just a remote control, I guess... you can down-shift with the lever on any auto any time, and the effect should be pretty immediate --- unless the box has already changed down to that gear, of course.

I haven't driven any very-recent auto, not since four or five years back, so I'm not familiar with the latest developments.
Old 27th August 2007, 15:29   #113
BHPian

go thru the reply again and what you had written earlier. please share your knowledge with people. i am not an auto expert and nor I am trying to be one also.

If you are then congratulation, and like i said please elaborate and enlighten us with you glorified knowledge of cars.

and about the MT, The key difference between a manual and an automatic transmission is that the manual transmission locks and unlocks different sets of gears to the output shaft to achieve the various gear ratios, while in an automatic transmission, the same set of gears produces all of the different gear ratios. The planetary gearset is the device that makes this possible in an automatic transmission.

besides if you ask some of the good drivers, they really prefer the MT to the AT.

the fact is that the AT is designed to change gears at a specific range of speeds, for example, the gear might shift from the first to the second lets say when the car hits 20 KMPH and then from second to third when it is doing a 50 KMPH and so on.
That leaves a driver with little option to choose his drive mode. Some drivers prefer to rev the engine on every gear, which would mean, he probably would like to hit the second gear only when the car hits a 30 KMPH and the third when its about 65 KMPH whereas the others who would like to conserve fuel, might switch to a higher gear a little early.

The difference - AT being very easy to use and smooth, MT gives you more options and is easy on the budget month after month.

but the MT is good when you going to work, braving the traffic.

Remeber the example i gave in first post.

and you can only be fast when you are in control,try picking up speed on AT after crossing the corner car will lag and you will loose time.

on a lighter note catch some movies guys ,in which 2fast 2furious SERIES you have seen guys racing on AT ????

that is all,

regards
Old 14th September 2007, 14:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

I think this link to a new 8-speed automatic transmission announced at the Frankfurt show may be useful:

http://www.iaa.de/index.php?id=523&no_cache=1&L=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3582&tx_ttnews[backPid]=522&cHash=72782eacbd
Old 15th September 2007, 03:57   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
the fact is that the AT is designed to change gears at a specific range of speeds, for example, the gear might shift from the first to the second lets say when the car hits 20 KMPH and then from second to third when it is doing a 50 KMPH and so on.
That leaves a driver with little option to choose his drive mode. Some drivers prefer to rev the engine on every gear, which would mean, he probably would like to hit the second gear only when the car hits a 30 KMPH and the third when its about 65 KMPH whereas the others who would like to conserve fuel, might switch to a higher gear a little early.
Even on my 94 E320, I can choose the shift point based on foot position. If I have the throttle pinned down, it changes gears at 5500 rpm, if I drive with a light foot it changes sooner.

If I want rapid acceleration followed by cruising, I just pin the throttle down, car reaches 40 in first gear alone, at which point I lift off to a very light foot and the slush-box upshifts a couple of nothches.

Even when I am cruising as a certain speed a more than just a little prod on the throttle downshifts and happens faster than I can change manually. However this particular observation is limited to this car only, on other cars there is a huge wait before a downshift.

If a 1994 automatic can be so telepathic. It is only about driver involvement that is lacking.

Moreover automatics uses a torque converter.

Howstuffworks "How Torque Converters Work"
Old 11th October 2009, 01:49   #116
BHPian

After having driven an automatic cars for last 10 years outside India, can't think of driving a manual car back home with growing traffic there. Currently, I have a zen and Opel Astra. Both needs to be sold. Can anyone recommend a good hatchback diesel automatic car? I am a big fan of german cars but in India, I would love to own a fiat. Any automatic in fiat stable?
Old 11th October 2009, 09:20   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarshanS View Post
Can anyone recommend a good hatchback diesel automatic car? I am a big fan of german cars but in India, I would love to own a fiat. Any automatic in fiat stable?
There is no hatchback diesel automatic in India as of now.
Old 11th October 2009, 09:45   #118
BHPian

I drove a brand new Camri 3.0 AT for about seven months in the USA way back in 1987. No problem with maintenance at all. Took the car up to 135 miles per hour on the Dallas-Fort Worth stretch. No issues there too. AT's are a necessity, not a luxury, in Indian traffic conditions. The US has very low traffic density compared to India and yet people there of all ages prefer AT! When I buy my next car, it will definitely be an AT. No debate on that.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 11th October 2009 at 09:47.
Old 26th December 2009, 12:37   #119
BHPian

Growing sales of Automatics

Just came across this article on the growing sales of automatics in India. Here's the link.

The Hindu Business Line : Geared for fast growth
Old 26th December 2009, 15:59   #120
BHPian

Renault seems to have sorted out the fuel efficiency and lag problems. Hope they bring the model with the robotised autobox soon, as its only 500 euros more expensive than the manual.

The combination of its small size and low inertia turbo ensures feisty performance from low revs, while maximum torque is available from very low down and across a particularly broad rev band. The turbo comes with an ´overpower´ function that enables drivers to benefit from a temporary power and torque increase of 5hp and 6Nm respectively in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears at engine speeds of over 4,500rpm. Meanwhile, its advanced technology and contained size ensures the lowest combined cycle fuel consumption for a 100hp petrol engine (5.9 litres/100km and 140g of CO2 per km), as well as maximum driver appeal. With a 0-62mph time of just 9.8 seconds, the TCE 100hp delivers class-best performance.

Two types of transmission

To benefit fully from New Twingo´s engines, two types of transmission are available: a manual five-speed box and the Quickshift robotized gearbox. A manual five-speed box (either the JB1 or JH3 box according to engine) is available for the full range of petrol and diesel engines. For extra character, its gearing has been selected as a function of the different engine options however, with shorter ratios for the TCE 100hp (for punch and response). The Quickshift5 (JH1) robotized gearbox is available with the 1.2 12V 75hp powerplant. Based on a manual gearbox and equipped with an electro-hydraulic shift system, it can be used in either automatic (no driver intervention) or manual flick-shift mode. In addition to the comfort of automated gearshifts and its low incremental cost to the customer, the robotised gearbox reduces fuel consumption by three per cent.

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/new...-september.asp

BTW, the Trafik (aka Tata Winger) had the autobox: it could hold the vehicle on a slope without touching the accelerator!

Last edited by proton : 26th December 2009 at 16:04. Reason: added link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks