Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 15:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Two Wheeler Driving Test

Hi

Searched for this topic but did not get any results; hence the question here

My son is going for this driving test (car & geared two wheeler) shortly. He has been practicing driving the car fairly in depth.

The issue is that there are no resources for the two wheeler driving test. (There are plenty for four wheelers and he has gone thru most of them.)

What should be be prepared for in the test? I dont recall anything other than the infamous "8".

More importantly, what should I be training him for being a good two wheeler driver in the real world road driving? All I could think of were:

- Emergency braking technique
- Handling pot holes
- Signaling

Other esoteric stuff like leaning on curves, countersteering etc, I will get him to learn in a proper superbike training school. This is just for competently handling his bike in traffic without being that guy!

Any inputs appreciated.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 17:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two Wheeler Driving Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
More importantly, what should I be training him for being a good two wheeler driver in the real world road driving?
Gift your Son a good electric scooter that does no more than 25 Kmph!! It's light on your pocket & requires very little maintenance

It's an absolute torture, but, riding slow is the way to earn a PhD in riding.
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 18:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion: Let him stick to the basics: signalling, lane discipline, overtaking from right etc. He should be confident about driving in regular traffic. May be the '8'. I have no idea about the current testing procedure - but talking to a RTO agent / driving school / any one who recently got a licence can be helpful.
Quote:
- Handling pot holes
Per corporations & municipalities, pot-holes dont exist. And I dont think there will be any in the test course.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 20:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
More importantly, what should I be training him for being a good two wheeler driver in the real world road driving?
Just my 2 paise:

I learned how to ride a bike almost a decade after I started driving. By the time I started riding, I had a pretty good idea what bad riding was. How overtaking from the left, tailgating cars (or any vehicle with better brakes), how drifting across lanes without using mirrors, how swerving to avoid potholes is dangerous etc. depended on others to keep you alive. My wife is a newbie driver, and whenever she drives, I point out bad riders to her, so that if and when she has to ride a 2 wheeler, she would know how to be a better rider. Maybe you could try the same with your son.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 9th November 2021 at 20:37.
GeneralJazz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 21:04   #5

Quote:
Hi

My son is going for this driving test (car & geared two wheeler) shortly. He has been practicing driving the car fairly in depth.

What should be be prepared for in the test? I dont recall anything other than the infamous "8".
Hello BHPian Sridhu. I got my car and geared two wheeler license a few months back. I had gone to the KA-03 (Kasturinagar) RTO.

Regarding the two-wheeler driving test, you still have to drive in an 8 (not a complete 8 though). Basically, there is an empty rectangular ground with 4 cones in the middle in a straight line. You start off in a straight line, driving along the edge of the ground, passing the cones. Then you take a sharp right when you reach the end (near the last cone), and you zig zag your way between the cones. So, it's not a complete 8. I have attached a figure explaining the same.

Two Wheeler Driving Test-img_20211109_203908__01.jpg

Some things which the inspectors are really particular about:

1. When you get off from a standstill, please do so as smoothly as possible. If you get off suddenly, by excessively revving your bike and then aggressively releasing
the clutch, it is definitely taken in a negative way.

2. The inspectors are very specific about hand signals. For example, when you make the sharp right just before zig-zagging between the cones, indicate the same with
a hand signal (along with the rotating hand) and the indicators of your bike. Similarly, while slowing down at the end of the test, give a hand signal again.

3. Before the test, the inspector might ask you the basics of the bike. For example where is the clutch, brake levers etc. This is very rare but happens sometimes.

4. Make sure you make at least 2-3 gear changes during the test. The inspectors constantly look at your feet to see if you are shifting gears.

5. Please wear a mask inside your helmet as well. They are very particular about it.

6. Please note that with incessant rains in Bengaluru, the ground may be very muddy at places. Avoid these muddy patches even if they are present in between two
cones. Skip that part of the zig zag portion and continue with the next cone. I saw multiple people getting their bikes stuck in the mud and then stalling the bike or
losing balance and falling off. That was the end of the test for them.

Please note that I got a very strict inspector. I was fortunate enough to be one of the last people to give the test, so I had seen the inspector pointing out these things to the people before me and I made sure I did all the above. At the end of the day, it all depends on the inspector. You might get a very chilled out inspector, who is least bothered, and if you are able to drive around without stalling the bike, he will pass you in the test.

All the best for the test.

Last edited by scenario7 : 9th November 2021 at 21:33. Reason: Spacing for better readability
scenario7 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 12:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenario7 View Post
Hello BHPian Sridhu. I got my car and geared two wheeler license a few months back. I had gone to the KA-03 (Kasturinagar) RTO.

<snip ... >

All the best for the test.
Thank you. Precisely what I was looking for.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 13:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very useful and good information. Have few questions, just out of curiosity.

Are you allowed to skip one or two cones and still pass the test?

Secondly, are you allowed to land your feet while taking snake turns?

During snake turns, what if you go straight, away from the cones and take long cut u turn? (This is essential for bikes with low turning radius)

And lastly, changing gears while performing snake turns is not advisable. Does inspector expects changing gears during snake turns?

Last edited by gkveda : 10th November 2021 at 13:19.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

In theory one must be thorough to qualify for both the learning and permanent licences. The common and not so common traffic signboards incl No Parking and Parking, Rail Level Crossing (I think its the same for both manned and unmanned crossings), No Horn Zones, Speed Limits near educational institutions, No Overtaking and so on need to be all learnt well. Signalling is also important while driving a two wheeler, as the driver is free to do so as compared to the present day "rolled up window" cars. Use of dipper switch, indicators and importance of rear view mirrors need to be known.

After getting thorough in the theory part, driving needs to be upto the mark by practice and more practice to qualify the driving test.

These links have some useful tips :-

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-...h-strict-rules

https://www.india.com/car-articles/c...-test-3289871/

Please check out this video too:-

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th November 2021 at 16:18.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 17:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the two-wheeler driving test, you still have to drive in an 8 (not a complete 8 though)..
Recently i went along with my son for his driving test and still he need to do 8 [RTO Sholinganallur, Chennai]. For practice i had taken him into empty grounds initially and gave him the lowdown on riding. Also rode pillion with him on moderately crowded streets to let him understand the nature of people and anticipate people. Good thing is he has lots of patience. He can wait for 10mins to cross a road and he is prepared to let others go if they honk.

Last edited by vennarbank : 10th November 2021 at 17:01. Reason: Gave RTO location
vennarbank is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 23:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Are you allowed to skip one or two cones and still pass the test?
Sir ideally speaking, I do not think you are allowed to do so. When I gave my test in July, it had been raining heavily in Bengaluru. There were puddles everywhere on the ground. Plus, car driving tests were conducted on the same track before the two-wheeler ones. So, the cars had gone through the puddles and made an absolute mess. Bikes were getting stuck as the mud began to dry. So, when we skipped the final cone nobody said anything. During my exam, I made sure that I completed consecutive right and left maneuvers using 3 cones and skipped the last one.

Quote:
Secondly, are you allowed to land your feet while taking snake turns?

During snake turns, what if you go straight, away from the cones and take long cut u turn? (This is essential for bikes with low turning radius)
I am not aware of the exact rules, but when I gave my test, there was more than enough space between two cones, around 4-5 feet. So, I do not think it would be a problem for bikes with low turning radius. You can also carry decent momentum as you do not have to slow down completely because of enough space between the cones. During my exam, I did not see anyone landing on their feet while negotiating the snake turns. To put things in perspective, I drove an Etios through the same track for my car driving test without completely, (but almost) locking the steering wheel. They did not change the space between the cones for the 2-wheeler test.

[/quote]
And lastly, changing gears while performing snake turns is not advisable. Does inspector expects changing gears during snake turns?
[/quote]

No Sir, you do not have to change gears during the snake turns. Change gears while you are riding in the straight line from the farther end (before approaching the cones). During my test, I shifted to 3rd gear and then down to 1st before negotiating the snake turns. After the turns, I shifted again to 2nd before shifting to Neutral while coming to a stop.

The inspectors do not insist on anything before the test. After the test, the inspector might point out all these things. It all depends on the inspector and what mood he is in at that moment. A friend of mine, got his license from Electronic City RTO Office and the inspector did not insist on anything. He did not even give hand signals. Another friend in Mysuru was asked to make the 8 in reverse.

Sir, I would recommend you, to not be the first few scapegoats. Observe what the inspector says to the initial people and prepare yourself accordingly.
Old 12th November 2021, 08:28   #11
BHPian

I took my Two Wheeler test 2 months ago at Pune RTO. The test itself was conducted at IDTR for both Two and Four Wheelers. I was made to go around the Hump and Dip section of the track. Importance was given on not stalling when being asked to stop, and getting over the hump smoothly. Nothing else was checked. Here's a picture of the same, excuse the picture quality, it's taken directly from their website.
Two Wheeler Driving Test-hump-dip-road-section-front-view.jpg
superguy282 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 08:30   #12
BHPian

Dear Sridhu, If he is going for a driving test for a car and scooter license, then rest assured, he will be tested for the car only and unlikely for both separately. Anyway, his immediate need is to pass the driving test, so you don't need to train him on the advanced manoeuvres at this time.
pd1108 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 10:41   #13
BHPian

Two wheeler license test is a joke in India. You just have to take the 8 and ride the bike 200 metres with a gear change or two. Make sure to use the M80 bike most of the driving schools provide which is set to a speed. Funny story , just before the riding test our driving school instructor told us to not change gears since the gearbox is damaged and bike will stall . As told I did some action with the leg and I've passed the test,those who didnt act only got license for gearless scooter.
JJ1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 11:24   #14
BHPian

Two wheelers are tricky. Atleast in a car you don't have the fear of 'falling down'. I learnt riding geared Motorcycle from my friends. My parents and relatives were far more reluctant and opposed me getting on two wheelers! College was my breakthrough for both cars and motorcycles. And after much procastination and difficulty in driving a car in narrow lanes and parking there, I got to get a Suzuki Access!
Well coming to the learning curve, my friends made sure I followed the following rules.
1. Never brake or accelerate when the bike is in a curve. The golden rule
2. Make your son ride a geared bicycle and make him well versed with the concept of gears and how to utilise them.
3. Never pull the clutch while braking. Only do so when the engine starts to stall. Similar to a car, engine traction is important.
4. Being a rider in India, he's bound to be pushed to the road edges as most drivers feel roads are for bigger vehicles alone. There's no point in arguing with such people. So yeah, he'll have to understand that for his own safety and peace of mind
5. Make sure he uses Indicators and learns to use the Rear View Mirrors! Majority of Indian rider ignore these. It'll be even worse in rural sides,. As a driver when entering a intersection or a village, I have to anticipate a rider's every possible Twist and turn
6. Make sure he learns how to do the half clutch first gear run properly. My friends were patient enough to let me learn this. I started off with a TVS Star City. A pretty battered bike with a first gear bound to stall. Then step wise increament to CBR250. Oh and yes, make sure he rides bikes from different brands.
7. And finally, hopefully he understands how to use the High beams judiciously

Last edited by Aravind_M92 : 12th November 2021 at 11:29. Reason: Punctuation and spelling errors
Aravind_M92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 05:54   #15
BHPian

Every RTO is little different in conducting 2 wheeler test. It is better to check locally on the location they are conducting it, go there one day a couple of weeks early and watch how it is done. You can speak to the agents and participants and understand what is specifically required.

For TN14 RTO, they do this in one of the broken side roads with cones placed for a 8. On the day of the test, everybody practices at that place starting from 6.30 until the officer arrive at 8.30. Then they form a queue and one by one they do that in front of the officer.

Smooth start
Gear changes
Not missing a cone
Foot on the ground is sometimes ok
Then come to a stop by raising your hand for the traffic behind

Hope this helps

Swami
swami69 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks