Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2007, 00:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

OD had featured this expected next-gen Indica . The red rendition had a high waistline - similar to cars of today and a taller stance than the current Indica. Looked promising.
Old 27th May 2007, 01:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Actually I think this is the rendition I also received by mail sometime back. It looked pretty big compared to the current Indica. Will mean a lot of space.

And about launching it first in Europe, look at it this way. The europeans will be the guinea pigs this time around and we will get a well developed product after ironing out all the flaws. Must be the Tata's definition of natural justice. They do not want to make bakras out of us in the 2nd round
Old 27th May 2007, 03:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The car thats going to get hit the most is the Swift. If Tata's get the fit and finish and refinement levels right, then the Swift is going to get thrashed badly.

Xenons and improved safety features (ABS, Airbags I am sure)! Bring it on Tata!
I'm not so sure an improvement in fit, finish and refinement is all that's needed to improve their image as a car-maker. Sure the Swift might take a hit because there are plenty of buyers out there looking for VFM alone. However, Tata's biggest problems are with their customer interaction, be it pre-sale or after sales service. Their workshops still remind you they are essentially a truck maker and the attention to detail is sorely missing. I will grant they have improved, but the percentage improvement and the time taken to achieve that improvement indicates to me they have a long way to go.
Old 27th May 2007, 10:29   #19
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
About the fit and finish part I would say that they have said that the car is being developed for the european markets.
That depends entirely on Tata's definition of "Europe". I think they basically mean United Kingdom and Ireland, as I cannot see them adding the flexibility to make a left hand drive variant.

And I also wonder how FIAT feels about TATA using their engines to compete against them on their 'home soil'.

In any case, superior quality materials and execution are always welcome.

Old 27th May 2007, 10:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Dug up the OD article I was talking abt.

The graphic:

The excerpt from that article:

" The new Indica besides bigger dimensions all round, will sport a front end design that conforms to European safety norms for pedestrians. That is, the front bumper would be deeper while the hood instead of having a steep rake would be slightly more bulbous in design. The hood creases will move closer to the edges. The larger, swept back head lamps are in accordance with this design and something we have seen on most small cars sold in Europe. The wheels arches are expected to be more pronounced as well, without looking like an after thought, as is the case today.

As for the rear, Tata Motors still hasn’t decided on whether it wants to run the tail lamps right across the length of the C-pillar or do a chop job. The rear windscreen is heavily raked like on the new generation Ford Focus while the rear bumper is larger and more curvaceous than on the current Indica.

Inside, the car will get central mounted instrument console like on the Nissan Xtrail. Given that Tata Motors is looking at the European market with keen intent with the new Indica, expect the dashboard and central console to sport a contemporary look, with provisions of sprucing it up further. The seating position is expected to get better too on the new car, which will be a welcome change given the current Indica does very little for driver ergonomics.

The new car will come with the 1.3 multijet common rail diesel engine which will be manufactured at the Fiat’s Ranjangaon facility in Pune. A new petrol engine might also be in place, which will service the entire new Indica platform range.

New Indica will conform to the European pedestrian saftey norms thanks to the bulbous hood and deeper front bumpers. The essential design philosophy of the new Indica was previewed on the Indiva a few years back.

The current generation Indica will not be phased out however. Given the demand for the car particularly in the taxi segment, thanks to its low price (which the new Indica will not be able to match), it is unlikely that Tata Motors would want to lose out on its cash cow. It would however give the current Indica its very own 1.4 DICOR common rail unit instead of the Fiat 1.3 multijet in the near future to match stringent emission norms while also keeping costs in check. "

Last edited by theMAG : 27th May 2007 at 10:41.
Old 27th May 2007, 10:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Knowing TATA all these release dates should not raise any hopes from their customers.

Irrespective of thier prior commitments, they will continue making media releases and delaying their launches for years, they launch new models whenever they are ready, period.
Old 27th May 2007, 13:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

The sad thing about the V3 will be that it will have the center console crappily placed like in the Xtrail and the Spark, thats one reason i wont buy the car, heck the speedometer is for me or my co-passengers and when i am driving are they changing gears for me, a big distraction i would say and not a good thing to do.
Old 27th May 2007, 14:24   #23
Team-BHP Support

Yes theMAG... thats the same graphic I also received. Looks like a significantly bigger car than the current one.

Most Viewed