Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2021?
Maruti Celerio 11 0.55%
Tata Punch 194 9.62%
Renault Kiger 37 1.84%
MG Astor 54 2.68%
Volkswagen Taigun 60 2.98%
Skoda Kushaq 66 3.27%
Tata Tigor EV 25 1.24%
Mahindra XUV700 1267 62.85%
Force Gurkha 69 3.42%
Tata Safari 116 5.75%
Hyundai Alcazar 12 0.60%
Skoda Octavia 41 2.03%
Citroen C5 Aircross 30 1.49%
BYD E6 9 0.45%
Mercedes A-Class Limousine 2 0.10%
Mercedes GLA-Class 7 0.35%
Volvo S60 16 0.79%
Voters: 2016. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 08:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2021 | EDIT, it's the Mahindra XUV700

XUV 700, quite expectedly, is clearly the numero uno choice of most members and rightly so. One of the principal reasons which many have mentioned is how Mahindra brought many first in segment features like AEB, ADAS etc. It's a laudable move. The icing on the cake was the 5 star rating. Hence it deserves all the accolades. It's for very similar rational that my vote goes elsewhere.

With my penchant for always rooting the underdogs, I've voted for the Punch. One sole reason that tilted my pick for Punch is that Tata has given a car to our market that's high on safety and under 10 lakhs. The safety aspect has largely been always discussed at length on august forums such as Team BHP, but the buying public never gave as much importance to it and hence some of the mainstream car makers kept on churning out unsafe cars. Whenever friends and family discuss on buying a new small car and list out the preferences and requirements, the moment safety is added to the equation, most models of the main players get struck off from the list.

I sincerely hope with the launch of Punch, Tata has stirred a hornet's nest for most other manufacturers, with even the market leader starting to talk about safety. It may well set the ball rolling for others to make a small yet safe hatch and at a competitive price. They're sort of pushed into a corner to follow suit. Hence my vote for Punch since it creates a big positive upshot at the safety of a small car buyer on a budget, which means many more small yet safe cars may ply on our roads in the near future. More so, when Tata eventually brings the Punch EV.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th December 2021 at 09:05.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:06   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

A good followup of 2011, even though 10 years on there was actual competition in the market. XUV is back for good.

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2021 | EDIT, it's the Mahindra XUV700-img_20211209_084551.jpg

Not many of those vehicles in 2011 are still in the market , buyers beware. XUV made tata cut the price of Aria by ~2L. This time around the crossover market is much larger, there is enough room for multiple vehicles.
Kosfactor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:17   #63
srh
BHPian

Did not think twice before voting for the XUV7OO. It is a significant leap in product engineering for M&M. And they have managed to achieve a competitive price in spite of all kinds of bells, whistles gizmos. Overall, a product which is a challenge to the propensity of other manufacturers to milk customers who buy vehicle costing INR 10L+.
Old 9th December 2021, 10:05   #64
BHPian

My vote is for the XUV 700 for trurning the segment completely upside down. The segment first features like ADAS which were limited to the luxury cars all this while have now been introduced for vehicle under 30L and this will compel the competiotion to follow suit. Here are some of the key features for my vote (not calling out the very obvious ones):

Safety
5-star safety rating by Global NCAP
Seven airbags (including driver-side knee airbag), Electronic parking brakes with auto-hold
360-degree camera
Radar-based Level-2 ADAS active safety features with the option of turning them off completely or using them just for alerts.

Performance and Reliability
Backed by the ever reliable mHawk and mStallion powertrains, churning out segment-leading power output for both Petrol and Diesel in AT and MT options.
AWD option
Comfortable Ride Quality
Wide service network

Multiple Variants Options
Petrol and Diesel options
Basic variants to fully loaded, easy to pick based on your budget.
AWD option (Diesel)

Impressive Design:
Twin-screen setup, first in it's segment. Looks very premium
Spacious cabin space
Feature laden- All-LED lighting system, Segment's largest panoramic sunroof, driver seat welcome function, dual-zone climate control, smart air purifier, plush door handles, impressive audio options

*Still can't digest they omitted ventilated seats and auto dimming IRVM.

Last edited by Raghunath Singh : 9th December 2021 at 10:07. Reason: Typos
Raghunath Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hands down the XUV7OO. Wouldn't get into details as the experts have already shared a ton of information. Not sure why the Celerio is featuring on the list. I thought no facelifts were being considered.
Old 9th December 2021, 10:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The idea is appealing for me too. Maybe cars launched in the current and previous year should be accommodated (as otherwise some cars would be left out; XUV 700,for eg) and to account for two years we should have:
Car of Dous Years
But what does Dous mean?
Old 9th December 2021, 11:17   #67
BHPian

Is it only me that find the contender list boring this year? I am talking about vehicles upto 25 L on road. There was time I felt excited about launch of small SUVs. But now I long for a good practical sedan which can be afforded in this price range. Or even a good but sporty hatchback.
Old 9th December 2021, 11:31   #68
Team-BHP Support

There were lots of car in this list that I enjoyed reviewing. However, only three of them made me fall in love with them.

1. Citroen C5 Aircross - French beauty with an excellent engine - gearbox combo, strong build, good handling and mind-blowing ride. Had it not been for that stupid price, this car would get my vote.

2. Force Gurka - Amazing looks, great road presence and superb off-roading capability. However, when it comes to everything else, it's clearly from 2 decades ago, which means, it cannot be my Car Of The Year.

3. Mahindra XUV700 - Mahindra has really hit the sweet spot with this one. Nicely engineered product, with fine engines, great technology and 5-star safety at a reasonable price. It's not as good-looking as the Tata Safari, but, that's where the criticism ends. The XUV700 is the car that gets my vote for Car Of The Year, 2021. Easily.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th December 2021 at 11:20.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 11:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
  • We have no such inclination, and will only focus on the best, most important new car of 2021.
Thanks!
As I was re-reading this statement for the 7th time (thats the number of times I opened this thread to check on its status) it just struck me, that the best new car may not even be the most important new car launch in a year.

Point to ponder...
Old 9th December 2021, 11:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Force Gurkha!

Even if it doesn't sell much, but is a very capable vehicle. The fact that even with the miniscule numbers, Force Motors has invested in making it BS6 and Indian Crash Test compliant makes it a worthy contender for me.

On a close 2nd I would have voted for Tata Safari (for bringing back the emotions and looks in a modern package, though still not as capable as the old Safari!). The shape of the rear quarter glass had given me the hint that this may be the successor of Safari while it was shown as Gravitas itself, and I was proved right.

Followed by Tata Punch (for such beautifully crafted looks and bringing out Brake Locking Differential into what is essentially a raised hatchback and increasing it's off road abilities), Renault Kiger (for bring the Turbo in the 1L Energy series engine with Drive Modes etc.) and BYD E6 (for giving that long range battery and MPV in such a sleek and nice looking package).
Old 9th December 2021, 12:00   #71
BHPian

Voted for XUV 700

Best car for the year. Overall good safety, good features and definitely shockingly low introductory prices for at least the base variants.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:10   #72
BHPian

Really a two horse race - Punch vs XUV700

Voted for the Punch purely as it's more affordable and accessible to the masses
FAIAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 13:13   #73
BHPian

XUV 700 seems to be the favorite already.
I believe Mahindra has indeed scored some points with this product, though this one may not be a perfect vehicle. This one ticks so many boxes.

I just wish the 2018 COTY Mahindra Marazzo had received the success it truly deserved. I hope XUV 700 fares better in sales than the Marazzo, and gets the success it so rightly deserves.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:24   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Models costing over 55 - 60 lakh rupees, and many fully-imported-cars (CBUs), have been excluded from our COTY. Reason = Low relevance & commitment to the Indian marketplace.
Thanks!
Please stretch the price range a bit and add M340I also. Just kidding , I know it's a car of no significance considering the limited edition.

Voted for Octavia. For looks, luxury and engine and the practicality of boot space. And also for keeping that segment ON, what choice we have if looking for an entry luxury sedan and don't want to end-up paying half a crore.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:29   #75
BHPian

Voted for XUV 700 for one sole reason, this is a clear example of a real RADICAL product setting up completely new standards. In addition, the execution from Mahindra has been really good so far, barring the long wait time which is unavoidable.

XUV 700 deserves to be "Team BHP car of the year"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks