Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do looks matter to you?
Yes 518 76.74%
No 50 7.41%
Depends 107 15.85%
Voters: 675. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2022, 17:28   #1
BHPian

Do the looks of a car matter in your purchase decisions?

Buying a car these days can be a tricky task. With so many options available in each segment in the market, we often evaluate a lot of factors (safety, comfort, etc) before spending our hard earned money.

However, there is one factor that has always got me curious: looks. We hear this extremely often in our lives: "looks don't matter", but I often wonder if that is definitely the case when it comes to cars!

We own the 2016 Toyota Innova Crysta GX AT and one of the major factors that helped influence our decision is the official TeamBHP review. I remember checking out the forum day in and day out to see if there are any updates from existing owners regarding the running of the vehicle. But if there is one thing I found (and still find) to be a trend in the posts of the Innova review (and even on ownership reports of members who evaluated the Crysta during the process of making a purchase decision), it is that people not being fans of the "van-like" looks of the vehicle. I have read a lot of posts over the past five years in which members explained how looks were a big let-down for them and therefore decided on another option.

Now don't get me wrong. I am definitely not saying that looks will never be a factor in my decision-making process (one of the reasons why I never will consider a KUV 100). But if I have an option of an "ugly" vehicle with a five-star safety kit or scores huge in the area of comfort in my wishlist, I will definitely have a hard time arriving at a purchase decision!

So my question is: Do looks have a huge influence on your decision of buying a car, even if it scored extremely well in other departments?

If yes or no, please explain why. If it depends, please mention the factors!

Mods, I could not find a thread on the topic. Please merge if such a thread already exists!

Last edited by karthi.stark : 18th January 2022 at 17:30.
karthi.stark is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 17:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Do the looks of a car matter in your purchase decisions?

Not at all. How it looks from the outside is not a deal-breaker for me. There is no car in the market currently that I would reject because of the looks. Also, I would not compromise on any other factor to buy a better looking car.

PS: I own an S-Cross and a Brio, so I am sure you guys get my point.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th January 2022 at 17:33.
Eddy is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 17:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks absolutely do matter to me, along with performance and mechanical reliability. These three factors work equally for me when I need to choose a car for purchase. The only car that I have seriously considered purchasing without looks being a factor was the S Cross 1.6, simply because I was ready to forgo looks due to that stonking engine.

Otherwise, all recent purchases have had looks and aesthetics as a very important factor, along with performance and fun-to-drive nature.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 17:54   #4
BHPian

I have a different take on this question. Two reasons.
1) Looks might not be a huge factor or deciding for many in our forum.
2) End of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So everyone has a different take on what looks good.

Ideally, the question should be - Will you buy a car which YOU feel looks ugly even if it ticks all other boxes?

My answer is a big NO. I might not be looking for a dashing looking car. But why would I buy a car which I feel looks horrendous (inside or outside)!
RaghuVis is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 18:02   #5
BANNED

Do looks matter? Does handling matter? Does performance matter? Does FE matter? ..the list goes on for every aspect of a car and the answer to each question is personal preference.

So actually one can start a thread for every area of the car - interiors, resale value, features, quality of service, reliability et al.

The answer to the question is whether it satisfies one’s need and whether one is happy with the car. If it does, you’ve made the right decision.

It really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about any aspect, feature or quality of the car as what matters to one would be irrelevant to another.
EV NXT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 18:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally love the idea of a car that I would turn around to look back at after parking, or just admire while walking the dog or anything!
That being said - the cars are mainly driven by a particular requirement first then comes the looks : my daily needs to be something fun to drive first, looks second - explains the S-Cross; similarly we picked up the Etios as it was arguably the best beater for our needs back then - with all similarly priced options being too cramped for comfort.
lamborghini is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 18:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Voted: Yes.

I did not opt for depends because under no circumstances will I get an ugly car even if it came with an Italian V6 engine, german ride quality, Korean features and Japanese reliability.

It should not be ugly (e.g.Fiat Multipla). It should be liveable in terms of looks.

The more important things are “reasonable safety”, service and ease of ownership, ride and handling, features and interiors (in that order).

I own a 2020 S-Cross and moved to it from a 2010 Fiat Grande Punto. While the Punto is a proven looker, S-Cross is liveable and the looks start to feel better with time. Where it trumps Punto is the features list, service ease (availability) and space. So, it was a manageable compromise in terms of looks.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 18th January 2022 at 18:14.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 18:14   #8
BHPian

For me looks matter NOW but they did not really matter in 2012 when parents got our first car and I put some money in it as my share!

Why do they matter now?

My first decision box is always - Do I get Automatic Transmission!

In 2012 autos were rare. They are not that rare in 2022.

In 2012 car was paid for by saving of both my parents with me contributing from my measly earnings. So we got the cheapest AT car. Now I will be the one paying all the money! Since I have freedom in budget as I am planning to save a lot before buying.

In 2012, we got out first car. It was to be primarily for transportation so being flashy was not a consideration. In 2022, we have Tata Nano AMT for city transport usage. Hence the main car decision list will keep flashiness as a prominent check box.

Last edited by Mohitkumaar : 18th January 2022 at 18:15.
Mohitkumaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 18:27   #9
BHPian

Looks of the car are never my first or the last criteria. Safety, performance, comfort take precedence over the looks but at the same time looks do matter to the extent that I would not go for an ugly duckling if it satisfies other aspects.
Old 18th January 2022, 18:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Looks do not have a huge influence on my car purchase decisions. The only exception would be if it looks downright ugly for my sensibilities. I keep in mind that how others perceive a car is up to their sensibilities, and it would not have any bearing on my purchase decision.
Old 18th January 2022, 19:01   #11
BHPian

Re: Do looks of a car matter in your car purchase decisions?

My line-up of cars include Palio, Swift, City, Jetta, Endeavour, Compass and Fortuner. While all of them are lookers (subjective, i know), looks is surely is one of the criteria, but just not the most important, maybe not there in the top 5 too.

Factors such as reliability, safety, features, performance, efficiency, comfort, brand, after sales service, cost of ownership, in addition to looks will be in consideration. However, if you present something like a Pontiac Aztec in front of me, i would definitely reject it for its looks.
Old 18th January 2022, 19:04   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do the looks of a car matter in your purchase decisions?

Oh boy, looks matter & how! I'm a total sucker for good-looking things, including - but not restricted to - cars. Will never buy an ugly car, no matter how competent it is. As an example, I love everything about the new Creta, but would never bring one home.

On the other hand, some cars can be "smart looking", even if they aren't good looking. For instance, the Innova Crysta. Not the most handsome vehicle, yet a smart looking one with a strong personality. I'd totally be cool with an Innova Crysta in my garage.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

Not just exterior but something as essential("minor" in layman speak) as the instrument cluster(we already have a/few threads on the topic).

Examples :
- The first gen Tiago used to have a good looking instrument cluster but the facelift has that digital contraption which I can't stand. This is a deal breaker if I am buying since I will have to look at it all the time even though the facelift's exteriors look quite good.

- The first gen City was elegant but the next iteration with its dolphin design was a disgrace, IMHO. Wouldn't have bought it even if I could and regardless of the engine.

At the end its a very personal and subjective area like I liked the Ritz and even the Ignis but if we have a poll over how they look I will be a single digit minority

Last edited by shancz : 18th January 2022 at 19:12. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am a person who will reject Kia Sonet for that strange and tacky looking plastic piece on C pillar.
Name:  Kia_Sonet_rear_view.png
Views: 404
Size:  148.1 KB

So yes, looks absolutely matter to me.

With that said, looks are really subjective. I find pre F/L S-Cross a good looking car. I also like VW Ameo better than Vento despite all the shortcomings that sub 4m cars have in looks department.
amol4184 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:18   #15
BHPian

Like everything else in life, this is a very gray area.

I can compromise on the looks of the car provided it checks all the other boxes in the list of features I am looking at.

There are some cars I can't stand look wise(I shall not name any particular model to avoid offending the owners) and will not consider them at any point. Thankfully, most of the ugly cars IMO are generic commuters and are not on the list of potentials.

There are some cars that look indifferent, not great and not offensive and the looks of such cars do not feature in the decision making. You buy these cars for the other features or brand or ease of ownership.

I almost cannot pick a car based on how good looking it is if the other requirements are not provided.

Only those looking in the higher segments really have the option to be choosy based on the looks. Most regular commuter cars are not great looking, not even average looking in some cases and sell in great numbers.

Last edited by Mafia : 18th January 2022 at 19:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks