Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2022, 19:33   #31
BHPian

Re: How Maruti cracked the Compact MPV code with the 2nd-gen Ertiga & XL6

I am a long time Ertiga ZDI owner since 2013. The advantages of the car are obvious, and that si why I bought it. Over time I realized that it has many, many shortcomings, and to Maruti's credit they manage to keep them well hidden :-).

I have also, over the years, owned Alto, Indica, Innova , Civic etc- so I have some perspectives for comparison.

if your driving is not much, it should be just fine. I, for one, will NEVER touch an Ertiga, or another similar Maruti car again. I would say that my Innova, over almost 100k KM of its life with me (I bought pre-owed at around 100k Km and sold at around 200k Km), was a way better car, way cheaper to maintain, and way more reliable. The Ertiga, by comparison is both high maintenance with high part failure rates (at unpredictable times). It is also high-cost maintenance (relative to Innova)

To summarize, I am NOT a fan. A pre-owned Innova anywday.
Contrapunto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 01:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Firstly, being difficult to service is not what an owner can tell. Ask the mechanics who actually work on the car especially the independent garages who have handled this car.
Do you think owners do not interact with the mechanics/service advisors. We are bhpian after all. Just post a question/or browse the Marazzo official review thread on how many owners actually had difficulty in getting thier car serviced. I have personally interacted with Mahindra technicians and watched Marazzo being serviced. None had any issues working on the Marazzo.

Quote:
If you weld a ladder frame below the Ertiga and adapt the suspension for this, I am sure the kerb weight of the Ertiga will also increase by a considerable amount. Not sure how that comparison is valid. In that manner the Innova almost reaches 1900kgs of kerb weight for the top end variant. What would you conclude with that?
My point was Marazzo would be much safer than Ertiga. If two cars have equal GNCAP scores the heavier/bigger is actually safer. Marazzo is better than Ertiga in both GNCAP score well as kerb weight. Crysta could be even better. But we do not know the Indian version's GNCAP score.

Quote:
Having driven all the three cars, Ertiga, Innova crysta and Marazzo, I can safely say that with high speed handling, I can rate Ertiga > Crysta > Marazzo.
I won't comment on the handling of these cars as these are not exactly meant to be corner cravers. For MPVs comfort and ride quality are paramount. In this aspect Marazzo is the best. One more point i would like to bring out is Ertiga has excessive wind/tyre noise intrusion at speed. This is an area where the Marazzo's hushed cabin shines.
Old 27th January 2022, 07:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

I stay in a large apartment society in Bangalore and there are quite a lot of Ertigas in my society. Well, the reason is quite simple. Although we have a lot of nuclear families in metros like Bangalore, I’m also seeing an increasing trend of joint families, say 5-6 people. Or in many cases the aged parents seem to stay with their sons and daughters for an extended period.

And this is where the Ertiga comes in. It costs the same as a sub 4m cross over, gives the flexibility of extra seats when needed. And plus, it’s a Maruti, so that’s an added advantage as well.

Now, most of these families don’t really travel all the time with 5-6 people on board. It’s a lot of psychology at play here. The thinking is more like “what if all 5-6 of us travel somewhere?”, so instead of a Nexon, Brezza or even a Creta, the family buys the Ertiga.
motorworks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 01:11   #34
BHPian

Some credit should go to Leoshashi

I'm sure his ownership thread (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review) has converted some prospects! As for me, I would consider the XL6 as a family van with friends/family for those fun road trips

Happy driving,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 17:33   #35
BHPian

IMHO Maruti didn't crack the code, they stumbled upon it.

Maruti extended the Ritz to offer a 3rd row & added a VGT to the 1.3MJD & used their 1.5L petrol. The engine options & interiors were tried & tested to be sufficiently acceptable to the Indian market. The extended hatchback would be sold for a very healthy premium. And it did well because people who wanted to *occasionally* travel with family (self, spouse, parents & one or two 4-5y.o. children), found it sufficiently good because of the useful tall-body design.

Cars like Lodgy & Marazzo offered a full time MUV experience. Built ground up, each had its own minor issues & weren't priced VFM because large MUVs like Xylo & Aria were available at similar price points.

Only after having reaped the benefits of its USP for very long, did Maruti extend its length further to make the 3rd row usable for adults. Albeit with a price hike, but nonetheless it was still worth it because all the MUVs had died off by then.

There's no small engined part-time-MPV anymore, except Alcazar. Marutis' Ertiga's pricing is only limited by the fact that people would perceive Hyundai / Kia cSUVs more attractive if the Ertiga was priced any higher.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th January 2022 at 20:09. Reason: Typo
WorkingGuru is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 21:28   #36
BHPian

My father bought Ertiga VXI first gen in 2012 in Pune, we spent 6 years and 80k kms with it. The reason we bought it for was that we had my old grandfather at home and I was also small back then, that’s why we needed a car in which one of us could sleep in the middle row while the other one sat in the last row. And we also do a lot of road trips so we required a lot of boot space and with the third row down that car could give a Tata ACE a run for its money. That car fulfilled all our needs without throwing any tantrums for hundreds of road trips. And even at the time of selling it sold for a good price.
So what worked for the Ertiga, according to me it was the price point at which you were getting a spacious multi-purpose car with a reliable fuel efficient engine with adequate features. The second generation moved forward with the same strategy as well as the success.

Cheers
W16rocks
W16rocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 08:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

April 2022 saw the facelift launches of Maruti's Ertiga & Nexa's XL6.

Maruti has played well with the facelifts by offering competitive features and more importantly scaling up the dispatches for these 2 models as they would be looking at dispatching models with most profits.

Combinedly, 19,255 units of Ertiga + XL6 shipments happened in April 2022!

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 10:21   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Combinedly, 19,255 units of Ertiga + XL6 shipments happened in April 2022!
Interesting! The cars averaged at 9.5k or at worst in a 14k-6k Ertiga-XL6 relationship.
Now I'd like to see the faces of all the Carens fans on this forum who were calling out the 2022 Ertiga and XL6 as overpriced and claimed that the Karen would pose a threat to them!
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 11:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

If someone asks about the Ertiga, the immediate thought that comes to my mind is Bhpian Parag's Ertiga. His ownership thread speaks highly of how practical and reliable the Ertiga is.
I would have thought of buying the XL6 if only it came with a Diesel engine.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 4th May 2022 at 11:23.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

When you buy Maruti, hardly anything can go wrong with it. This is my 3rd brand new Maruti (Dzire Vxi 2009, Ertiga Vdi 2016 and Ertiga Zxi+ 2021) in last 12 years and I never faced any issues, not a single major issue till date. Never ever I spent extra money apart from regular servicing costs, which are also very reasonable. Dzire is still in family after 12 years 80k kms and still running absolutely fine. Latest Ertiga has done 7 K kms now and I am just loving it whenever I drive it. 2 servicing done and it costed me 0, no kidding. It has everything what normal user wants along with plenty of space and flexibility. Maruti has done tremendous job with new Ertiga over old one and has improved it in all areas. I can confidently say this as I have owned previous gen and now using latest one. Latest upgrades have taken Ertiga / XL6 to new level with so many added features. Sales figures just shows how good these cars are, no other proof needed.
aniketi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 09:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Ertiga becomes the second largest sold vehicle in April-22. The duo of XL6+Ertiga is way ahead of competition in terms of numbers.

Ertiga : 14,889
XL6: 4366

Source: Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th May 2022 at 09:51.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
When you buy Maruti, hardly anything can go wrong with it. This is my 3rd brand new Maruti (Dzire Vxi 2009, Ertiga Vdi 2016 and Ertiga Zxi+ 2021) in last 12 years and I never faced any issues, not a single major issue till date. Never ever I spent extra money apart from regular servicing costs, which are also very reasonable.
I own a 2012 VDi ertiga. Done 70K Kms in it. My running is very low and it hit rock bottom during lock-downs.

I echo most of the positives and negatives listed in this thread. but some of them are overstated.

Didn't you face that synchronizer issue? This seems to be a standard affair in the diesel model. Faced that at around 68K KMs. And the SA was like, "Sir, this mostly shows up at 35-40K Kms"!!

And the regular maintenance, is not cheap at all. At least here in bangalore, the regular service will be no less than 10k INR.The high touch 20k KMs interval service will be around 15k INR, minimum.
gkrishn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:21   #43
BHPian

Did XL6 and Ertiga go through the NCAP tests? I see a reference to meeting the norms, but the results are not public or they did not get tested.

I understand from VFM perspective, but why doesn't Maruti and Hyundai publish their NCAP ratings
Old 5th May 2022, 11:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Did XL6 and Ertiga go through the NCAP tests? I see a reference to meeting the norms, but the results are not public or they did not get tested.

I understand from VFM perspective, but why doesn't Maruti and Hyundai publish their NCAP ratings
Maybe because it isn't necessary to do so?
The Ertiga is crash tested and has a 3 star NCAP rating with the child safety exceeding Nexon's child safety by 1 point.

Also, before raising questions at these cars, I think we require to ask Tata and the Germans about safety ratings of the facelifted Nexon, Nexon EV, Tata Safari, Tata Harrier, Skoda Kushaq, Skoda Slavia, VW Virtus, VW Taigun and many more since people buy these cars while assuming them to be safe unlike most Maruti and Hyundai owners who are well aware that their cars are unsafe.
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 12:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I own a 2012 VDi ertiga. Done 70K Kms in it. My running is very low and it hit rock bottom during lock-downs.

I echo most of the positives and negatives listed in this thread. but some of them are overstated.

Didn't you face that synchronizer issue? This seems to be a standard affair in the diesel model. Faced that at around 68K KMs. And the SA was like, "Sir, this mostly shows up at 35-40K Kms"!!

And the regular maintenance, is not cheap at all. At least here in bangalore, the regular service will be no less than 10k INR.The high touch 20k KMs interval service will be around 15k INR, minimum.
I didn't face the synchronizer issue in my Ertiga Vdi till 51K kms, it is sold now, so can't comment. But yes, till 51K, not a single issue faced in my Ertiga Vdi. Apart from regular service, not a single rupee spent on car.

About maintenance costs, I guess your service center is charging you more. For my Ertiga Vdi I never paid more than 8-9 K. Even for 20K, 40K service bills were below 10K. It includes all oil change, filter change, coolant change, AC filter etc. I always say no to additional things like adding something in oil etc. And yes, I always do at Maruti authorized service stations only.

For Dzire, first 10 years, I never paid more than 7-8K for servicing. For first 4-5 years it was around 5K only (2009-2015). Now we get it serviced at nearby FNG and bill comes around 5-6K again. We do it once a year only and never faced any issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks