Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2004, 12:11   #16
BHPian

C4S I will find out the Carnet thing in Detail and will let u know soon.
Old 22nd March 2004, 12:24   #17
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Customs Carnet

The Customs Convention (New York, 1954) on the Temporary Importation of Private Road Vehicles allows temporary importation of vehicles into foreign countries on the basis of the "Customs Carnet".

The Carnet can be obtained by visitors from the Automobile Association or Club of the country in which they reside, and are generally issued for a period of SIX MONTHS.

For temporary importation of vehicles into India

As mentioned above, documents (the Customs Carnet) required to import vehicles into India can be obtained by visitors from the Automobile Association or Club of their country. The Federation of Indian Automobile Associations (FIAA), whose office is in Mumbai, guarantees the "Carnet" to the Indian Customs Administration. The FIAA permits temporary importation of vehicles into India by holders of the Carnet, for period of six months, without payment of Customs Duties and free of any import prohibitions or restrictions.

Carnets are issued only to the following classes of visitors:

--- Bonafide Tourists

--- Persons visiting India on tourist-cum-study or tourist-cum-business purposes, in which cases tourism must be their main objective

--- Persons employed in foreign countries or normally resident outside India, and come on a holiday irrespective of nationality

Although the Customs Carnet shows validity period of one year from date of issue, its validity period for India is restricted by the Government to six months.

For temporary usage of vehicles outside India

The Foreign Touring Department of the WIAA provides members with

--- Custom Carnets for temporary exportation of their vehicle into countries outside India.

--- International Certificates for Motor Vehicles - ICMV (which permit circulation in other countries)

--- International Driving Permits (IDPs) which eliminate the need for a separate driving licence in each country
In supplying the Customs Carnet, the WIAA takes upon itself, the responsibility of paying duty to the Foreign Customs Department, in case the vehicle imported on the basis of the document is not re-exported from the country of import within the period authorized by the concerned Custom Authorities.

The amount of duty for which FIAA assumes liability in issuing the Customs Carnet must be covered by the member providing them with security by:

Depositing cash to cover the duty liable in full, OR

Giving a Banker's Indemnity for the duty liability in the prescribed form with stamps affixed to it as required and without indicating any validity period or, valid for a period of three years.
WIAA Members can obtain a Customs Carnet at the following costs:

Customs Carnet Rs. 1000/-

--------------------------------------------------------------
Source : *Cybersteering
Old 22nd March 2004, 23:08   #18
BHPian

Hey Allen where did u get this from?......in India the period is for 11 Months.
Old 22nd March 2004, 23:15   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

got it from http://www.cybersteering.com/wiaa/services/carnet.html
This cud be an old article, i guess.
Old 23rd March 2004, 03:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Mar. 21 2004,21:22)]You miss 17.5 value added tax
Oh No i didnt miss it.Thats y i said on road the SL55 is 93k pounds after removing the vat it comes to 77k pounds which is 140k$ whereas the US price is 120, a big diff and after having the benifit(-7%) of taking the order in europe rather than US you save 7% on top of 120K which is 113K, so then the diff is huge..

anyhow thanx V12 for that..I will have to see what more I can find out on that..myself.

any other info on that will be great.

Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2004, 08:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

Also remember freight charges, may not make bringing a car over for a year worth it
Old 23rd March 2004, 11:51   #22
BHPian

I spoke to the guy yesterday regarding the Carnet. Well this is how it is:
Period : 11 Months
Extendable: NO
Requirements : Paying 8% of Car Value Including Shipping and Insurance
The Guy has to be an Foreign National or NRI Residing in the Particualr Country for a minimum of 2 Years. Whoseever the Name the car is registered he or she has to be present in India for that whole Period. A Bond has to be given to Indian Authorities for the payment of the Car Value.

So basically in the End its not worth it I guess. They have just changed the rules. Its become more Strict now as earlier it could be extended for another period of 9 months.
Old 29th March 2004, 00:29   #23
BHPian

Regarding the "flexing" of the duty rate it is possible.I myself have bought a vx300i from a santacruz based dealer which was seized due to non payment of sufficient duty.Trust me dude,it is pretty easy to do all this shit but if u get caught its a big pain to get the car from the impound cause u gotta pay a big penalty in addition to the remainin tax.
Old 29th March 2004, 00:34   #24
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

hey thats really bad. BTW whats a vx300i??
Old 5th April 2004, 00:38   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

btw , why are all the latest cars being under cc-ed. I mean the new S class actually has a 3700cc engine. But Mercedes refers to it as the S350.
Even the new BMW 318i has a 1995cc engine. So why doesnt BMW call it the 320i??
Old 5th April 2004, 01:19   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

[/quote]btw , why are all the latest cars being under cc-ed.[quote]

Or over-cced? Like in the case of the Mercedes C200K, which is actually a 1.8 litre supercharged engine.

GTO
Old 5th April 2004, 02:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

True... BMW and Mercedes have always had this habit of under or overspecifying their engines. Look at the BMW 740i for instance. It's always been the 4.4 litre V8 in it. Whether it was the old 7 or the new E-63. But now that 740 has become 745i, while the engine capacity is still the same.

To answer C4S's question about prices in europe being more than US, u've taken the example of UK. Remember pal, UK has probably the highest prices for cars in Europe. Which is one of the reasons why during the mid-90s, when the Euro-zone started coming up, people in UK were importing cars from othet european countries for reasons of price. Even today that practice goes on, albeit a bit reduced since Insurance cos. tend not to give proper insurance support to cars imported from other countries.

Also consider the value difference between the dollar and euro, cuz of which european cos. arent increasing the prices of their cars in USA, even though there is now nearly a 20% diff in the 2 currencies. Margins of several European car manufacturers are getting hurt due to rising euro, key among them being Daimler Chrysler since a major chunk of their sales comes from the US.

Revv
Old 5th April 2004, 11:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

hey guys dont forget the epcg scheme! catch some hotel wala! the most simplest way!!! here in hyd majority of the imp cars are like that
isnt there another way, ie if u r an nri and are coming back to india u can a max of two cars by paying half the amount? the catch is u cant sell in india for the next 4 years! not sure but my unc was telling this

hey another case of rebading! the lexys rx300 is also known as the toyota harrier
Old 5th April 2004, 12:04   #29
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

ya its known as the Harrier in Asian and European markets. For the US markets its the Lexus RX300/330.
Old 28th April 2004, 04:30   #30

nice shood see it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks