Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2022, 15:46   #16

Re: Beware of RSA scam calls

Well, today I got a call from the RSA scammers and the script was same as others have mentioned here.

The first thing they asked me was whether my name is so and so and I drive so and so car. I answered in affirmative as I was busy with work and the first thought which entered my head was maybe the service center was calling to remind me of the upcoming service. But, the next thing she said got all my attention - She said that my RSA document is ready and it is active for 15 years and covers blah blah blah. I stopped her right there and asked her where is she calling from, to which she mentioned some completely made up name - "National Vehicle Road Side Assistance, Delhi".

I disconnected the call right away without deciding to waste any more seconds on the call.

I decided to immediately let everyone in my family know of this scam so that no one else entertains such calls and are aware of these new scams.

I wonder where is the data getting leaked from as I can see from this post that is not limited to a specific manufacturer - I got a call for my Hyundai.
vabhian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:43   #17
BHPian

Hi

I was looking to renew my current Insurance and hence I contacted NBS Mahindra Dealership.
The dealership told me to get in touch with their service centre.
I searched their website and filled a form for a call back.

Within 5 minutes of filling the form i got a call claiming my RSA card is generated and i have been given 15 years RSA and 25 % discount on consumables.

The caller had all the details that i had filled up on the website.
Luckily I had come across this thread and told them i am not interested.
Acid Burn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 14:40   #18
BHPian

I keep getting similar calls for Skoda. I asked directly to my Skoda dealer and he said its fake.
Old 7th April 2022, 22:52   #19
BHPian

So, My uncle got the Sonet D, A/T from Shreenath Kia Thane. Day before yesterday he got a call from a person claiming from Kia showroom, and offered RSA package for 4K. They got every single detail right, Name, Car model. Color, Phone number, Home address, Insurance type. uncle got spooked when the person insisted he visit home to collect the payment in "Cash" & not cheque favoring the dealership or Kia. The second call was from a lady with same script, Uncle got his suspicion confirmed by calling the sales rep. at Shreenath Kia. Yes its a SCAM.

Whoever has leaked or is leaking the data is either the RTO office or the dealership itself.
Keneida is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 12:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabhian View Post
Well, today I got a call from the RSA scammers and the script was same as others have mentioned here.

The first thing they asked me was whether my name is so and so and I drive so and so car. I answered in affirmative as I was busy with work and the first thought which entered my head was maybe the service center was calling to remind me of the upcoming service. But, the next thing she said got all my attention - She said that my RSA document is ready and it is active for 15 years and covers blah blah blah. I stopped her right there and asked her where is she calling from, to which she mentioned some completely made up name - "National Vehicle Road Side Assistance, Delhi".

I disconnected the call right away without deciding to waste any more seconds on the call.

I decided to immediately let everyone in my family know of this scam so that no one else entertains such calls and are aware of these new scams.

I wonder where is the data getting leaked from as I can see from this post that is not limited to a specific manufacturer - I got a call for my Hyundai.
Okay so same incident happened me, same script ! As I was too busy in work, I couldn't pay more attention and thought it's legit RSA card from Hyundai. The guy said he's sending the RSA card, and I'd have to pay 3000 ₹ for it. He was insisting on online payment but I said I will pay COD. I was going to post this on the car insurance thread, but as usual TBHP already has a thread on this scam !! Glad to be part of such great forum
Old 21st July 2022, 16:02   #21
BHPian

It seems this kind of scam are run from the RSA customer care centers directly.
Recently got a call for this regarding my MG Astor, offering 15 years of RSA for Rs. 1500. I directly told the lady on the phone to get her manager on the phone, which she resisted.
She insisted that she is directly calling from MG Motors company only, and this is a "special" scheme for people who purchased a car in 2021. Joke was on her as I bought mine in 2022.

I had just woken up and had to take this call without my coffee. That has enough for me to be super cranky. I gave her a piece of my mind and, scolded her for trying to scam people, told her that some relative of mine is the DGP in Gurgaon [The scammers can be lied to, it's okay] and that I've already forwarded her number to the police. I was amazed at their audacity that she still didn't hang up, but tried to pacify me and told me that she is indeed speaking from MG!!
I told her to send me an email from her official email address, and that if she is indeed from MG, she should have my email address. I cut the phone after that, and immediately ensured that all my extended family know of this dumb scam.

Later that day, got a notification from MG Motors on the MyMG App, warning people of this scam.

Beware of RSA scam calls-whatsapp-image-20220721-4.01.00-pm.jpeg
cbrspn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:02   #22
BHPian

I received the same RSA scam call a few days back.
The lady had all the details and said she is calling from Kia road side assistance.
for Rs 3,500 will get 15 years of road side assistance.
I was a bit tied up with work, but 3,500 for 15 years, I accepted(and just hung up)

Today, I got a call that card will be delivered, please do the payment once you get the card.
That is when the alarm bells rang, and I paused my work and thought about it for a few seconds, and thought that this offer is too good to be true.
Then I called my Kia SA and he informed that this is a fake call and there is no such offer provided by Kia.

I called on the number back, and informed her that Kia said there is no such RSA service provided. Thats when she told me, that she has never used Kia's name, and then mentioned that 24x7 RSA is the one providing the service.
I then told her, that I wont be taking this service, she hung up.
Old 6th September 2022, 18:09   #23
BHPian

Joining the club! Like everyone else here, received the RSA call. They had my full details and offered 10yr RSA on my Thar for 3.5k. They said they would send the card and I can pay on delivery. I feigned ignorance and asked them to send it over.... Immediately informed everyone at home to not receive this package or make any payment

Just trying to increase their cost for wasting my time, more importantly trying to steal people's hard earned money.
dr.dre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 19:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post
Joining the club! Like everyone else here, received the RSA call. They had my full details and offered 10yr RSA on my Thar for 3.5k. They said they would send the card and I can pay on delivery. I feigned ignorance and asked them to send it over.... Immediately informed everyone at home to not receive this package or make any payment

Just trying to increase their cost for wasting my time, more importantly trying to steal people's hard earned money.
I wouldn't even give my home address to such folks for delivery.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th September 2022 at 12:23. Reason: dor delivery > for delivery.
Old 7th September 2022, 12:39   #25
BHPian

I received a call today from a random number, claiming to call from Hyundai's RSA department. Told me that my RSA card was ready and will be dispatched in 4-5 days. I said OK, and was about to hang up, when they told me that the Card is for 10 years and I need to pay 3500/- as "Activation Charges". That is when alarm bells started ringing, and I insisted that I was told that RSA would be free. She told me that it is free, and these are only Activation charges.

I insisted that I be called by my Service Manager, who last handled my car, she said OK and disconnected the call.

For reference, I purchased Hyundai Alcazar in 1st week of June, and the car was serviced on 1st September, for the first service.

I had remembered coming across this thread on TeamBHP, and hence I questioned them, else I would have been out of pocket and scammed.
Ays7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 16:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I wouldn't even give my home address to such folks for delivery.
Totally agreed, unfortunately they had my full address and car details too. In fact they did not even ask me for my information, this is breach of personal information of epic proportions!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th September 2022 at 12:23. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks!
dr.dre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 17:57   #27
BHPian

+1 to this club.

First call the person mentioned exact model and address to gain trust. Said another department will call later in the day to confirm and a 'RSA card' will be delivered to the address in 4-5 days. Being in middle of work, I said 'yes'.

Second call a different person simply said 'RSA card' will be be delivered in 4-5 days, I just need to pay 3500 COD. At this point I plainly told her RSA is included with standard warranty. She paused for 3-4 seconds and abruptly cut the call (samachar samaapth).

Usually there is a tell - not able to clearly say the organization, dept, name, product/service details, etc. or a rush to close the transaction or the language has to much local accent (organizations today have strict norms for even domestic contact center operations). Another tell is the lack of confidence in their voice.

However, such scams have reached epidemic proportions in the country. There is little protection from for the potential / victim, so surviving these is left to one's guile.
Old 27th September 2022, 12:15   #28
BHPian

+ 1 for the RSA Call Scam started for Toyota too.
The folks have your purchase date, make model, vehicle number and address. Quiet scary so to say...
Have received like 10 calls or so for RSA 15 years for 10k. Have to cut the call immediately or say, madam "gaadi bech daali"
First call seemed too good to be true, and called showroom guys to confirm. Until then i hadn't noticed this thread.
But lack of data privacy is seriously a joke. In future, One needs to own separate numbers to handle separate work. Office, personal, BFSI, shopping, etc etc

Last edited by roadjourno : 27th September 2022 at 12:28.
Old 27th September 2022, 17:03   #29
BHPian

Happy to add that we too were privileged to receive this call

I confirmed with my Honda SA and he mentioned that the scammers have access to the RTO database and pick up all details from there. I believe him because the car is registered in my wife's name and hence the RTO has her number while all communications with Honda were through my number. The scammers always call on my wife's number and hence I am pretty convinced that the leak is from the RTO. I think it's high time we have a stringent data security law considering that day by day most of the services are getting interlinked via the aadhar.

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:00   #30
BHPian

I am part of this club too! I almost fell for it since they mentioned my name and car registration number.
Something did not feel right since she kept talking in accented Hindi(Jamtara maybe? ) even when I was talking in English. I asked her to call back in a day and she hung up.
I google RSA scam and this thread was the first result!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks