Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 10:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster to make a comeback in India?

Renault should invest some more time for evaluation as they have been doing past years. Such a lethargic attitude towards the iconic name plate. Dont think Duster will ever come back, even if it does and when, probably only the fanboys might provide some relief to the puny sales numbers. Better to bury it once and for all, this coming from a previous Duster owner.

Duster and Ecosport are the two most highly wasted potentials.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 12:10   #17
BHPian

The Renault Duster had kick-started a new segment of smaller SUVs in India which worked initially in its favour, however the sales started dipping because of multiple reasons and finally it was discontinued :

1) No Timely Upgradation :
The Duster never saw any major facelift especially the interiors gave feeling of a car from 1990s.

2) Reliability Issues :
The car came with a lot reliability issues, since it was only the car in the segment (2009~2014), the customers somehow had to take it or leave it.

3) Fuel Guzzler : Excessive fuel consumption kept potential customers always away from this.

4) Entry of more players : After the entry of Hyundai Creta/Kia Seltos which brought more value for money in terms of features, fuel efficiency, service network people forgot Duster and finally it had to be pulled out from the Indian market.

The future buyers of new Duster may be the only hard core fans of this car which may bring the sales upto Three digits for the initial months.
Apex1815 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 12:26   #18
BHPian

Duster had its own charm (having owned one for 10 years) and never gave me any issues. Infact the diesel had ample power, oodles of space, class apart suspension & handling and never had complaints with fuel economy as well.
Despite its shoddy interiors, I still loved my duster more than the new cars out on the market. I sold the car yesterday :( because of shoddy 10 year NCR rule.

However, I agree with everyone, they do need to make a radical change to compete in the Indian market and work on the creature comforts.

With BS6 diesel issues and 10 year diesel rule for NCR and WB, I believe hybrids are a way to go. Hopefully, they will be able to bring a new car in time and this time keep up pace with regular upgrades.
smilingakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 13:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
2) Reliability Issues :[/b]
3) Fuel Guzzler :
I disagree. Yes, some people did have fuel injector issues( I didnt), but the car was mechanically as sound and sturdy as they come. I would trust the Duster to go over any patch of rough road without soft pedalling it. Wont do so in my Creta. I have never heard the Duster being a gas guzzler unless you are referring to the almost non existential 1.5 NA petrol, until the much better 1.3 Turbo petrol came in. The only reason that the Duster was done and dusted was , as you said, the companys disinclination to make it contemporary in terms of cabin features.Even if they had gotten the car in its subsequent European spec versions, it would have still been hanging around and not let the Koreans walk away with the midsize CSUV market.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 25th November 2022 at 13:16.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 18:41   #20
BHPian

We went to Pune in the last week of 2022 and rented a Duster 1.3 Turbo petrol through zoomcar for the duration of our stay. Got a chance to drive it in the city, on the Mumbai-Pune expressway and a bit of off-road in Lonavla and I am pretty impressed with what it offers. With an AWD system, this is the car a family should prefer over the impractical 3 door 4X4s or even over their 5 door versions. Duster is so much car like to drive and comfortable. It does have its issues but if it makes a comeback, I am sure I will consider it seriously.

Last edited by pkk077 : 12th January 2023 at 18:46.
pkk077 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 09:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Reuters quoting sources, say:

Renault and Nissan will return to cross badging.

The Duster SUV is being considered for launch under both Nissan and Renault.

Source: ET AUTO
ashutoshb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 02:27   #22
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkk077 View Post
We went to Pune in the last week of 2022 and rented a Duster 1.3 Turbo petrol through zoomcar for the duration of our stay. Got a chance to drive it in the city, on the Mumbai-Pune expressway and a bit of off-road in Lonavla and I am pretty impressed with what it offers. With an AWD system, this is the car a family should prefer over the impractical 3 door 4X4s or even over their 5 door versions. Duster is so much car like to drive and comfortable. It does have its issues but if it makes a comeback, I am sure I will consider it seriously.
This is exactly what the car enthusiasts should wait for if they are looking for performance and practicality both without the double extra maintenance for 4x4. I have been looking for my next upgrade in 1-2 years time frame and Duster AWD hybrid with a 1/1.2 turbo petrol or AWD with a 1.3 turbo petrol would fit the bill perfectly fine.
There are many enthusiasts in India who don't want 4x4 , rather a reliable AWD with good power.

Last edited by RDS : 7th February 2023 at 02:28.
RDS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 20:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I have never heard the Duster being a gas guzzler unless you are referring to the almost non existential 1.5 NA petrol, until the much better 1.3 Turbo petrol came in.
1.6 NA petrol is the real gas guzzler, 1.5 Petrol was introduced in 2015 prior to that petrol was 1.6. I Currently own one but the overall ride quality, reliability, space overshadows shortcomings of 1.6 petrol. Duster has its own feel, I plan to keep it till it lasts

Last edited by Asoon : 7th February 2023 at 20:26.
Asoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 21:46   #24
BHPian

Renault who? Duster who? yawn.

I think what they mean is they will consider to consider Duster in 2025. Being a previous owner of 85, even if they introduce in far future, it would still be atleast a couple of generations older than competition. Except for fanboys, dont see any hope.
Old 7th February 2023, 22:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

They lost both name and marketshare by being inactive. They would have better luck bringing in the Arkhana which is a fresh product rather than re-entering the oversaturated compact crossover/SUV market.
Old 7th February 2023, 22:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Renault who? Duster who? yawn.

I think what they mean is they will consider to consider Duster in 2025. Being a previous owner of 85, even if they introduce in far future, it would still be atleast a couple of generations older than competition. Except for fanboys, dont see any hope.
Too early to dismiss anyone, but more than Duster I am more hopeful of Nissan version.

Looking at the Magnite design language interiors and overall suspension and engine tuning, I am positive about Nissan version of Duster.

Infact even the Nissans version Triber could be designed n Styled similar to Livina is what I think.
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 22:50   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the cardinal rule followed by Renault is to not introduce a particular generation of the Duster in India until it has reached end of life in all other markets around the globe. The new Duster was launched globally sometime in 2017 and we continued getting the old one till 2021. When the new one becomes obsolete everywhere else, it will be launched in India as the "Brand New Duster"
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 23:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
When the new one becomes obsolete everywhere else, it will be launched in India as the "Brand New Duster"
The same thing they did first with a sedan named Logan It was such an ancient car compared to competition.

The original Duster had the 'first mover' advantage when it was launched back then, not sure if it will have the same advantage now as competition has gone far ahead, be it powertrains or new models itself. Renault Nissan better have something exclusive.
Old 8th February 2023, 10:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Too early to dismiss anyone, but more than Duster I am more hopeful of Nissan version.

Looking at the Magnite design language interiors and overall suspension and engine tuning, I am positive about Nissan version of Duster.

Infact even the Nissans version Triber could be designed n Styled similar to Livina is what I think.
Same thoughts here, hopeful of Nissan but more so on Qashqai and X trail, they need such products to make a mark.
Old 8th February 2023, 10:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Same thoughts here, hopeful of Nissan but more so on Qashqai and X trail, they need such products to make a mark.
Those will possibly be CKD.

Duster n Nissan version will work only if they come out with hybrid versions ... gas guzzlers will make products DOA.

As it is Nissan n Renault have said no Diesels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks