Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 13:45   #1
BHPian

The curious case of priority car deliveries & long waiting periods

Hello to everyone here. I have joined this forum recently and look forward to becoming an active member over here. Working as a DSA (direct selling agent), I have noticed this weird practice that has been going on in the new car business and thought of sharing it with you all.

The new car market, although with good numbers to showcase, is undergoing massive turmoil. The so-called semiconductor shortage has led to massive waiting periods for almost each and every car in the market, across various segments.

For example, for a Mercedes GLS 400d, you would be expected to wait for 8 months. As a matter of fact, from what I have heard is that there would be no GLS 450 coming to India for this year. At the lower end of the spectrum too, you have cars like the Mahindra Thar, Hyundai Creta, hell even the humble WagonR CNG which would have a waiting period of anywhere between 3 months to a whole year.

So obviously, there is a long waiting list of customers who are desperate to get their hands on a new car. If today, I were to spec a top of the line Rolls Royce Phantom, I would understand that the car is being made to my specification and yet, I just have to wait for around 6 months. Why would somebody wait for a year to get their hands on a regular run of the mill Ertiga CNG or the Mahindra Thar?

As a result, greed has crept into the mind of dealers all over the country. Gone are the days when you could walk into the showroom and demand a discount. In fact, many dealers are happy to let go of your booking if you ask for self-insurance these days.

However, in the world of business, it is fair enough for them to say no to discounts and sell cars at full price. Unfortunately, greed has now gone beyond full price. A demand for a ‘premium’ or as they say, ‘aap on bharo’ has become a normal thing to hear in the industry these days.

Now you may wonder, with the strict scrutiny of the parent company, how are dealers able to do this? How can they get away with such malpractice and hide it from their parent company? There are multiple ways that I have seen until now, listing a few:

1 - Use the network of DSAs.

Almost every sales executive in any dealership in the country relies on a good number of DSAs to help them achieve their monthly targets. The dealership can have a mutual agreement with a particular DSA and accept this additional payment. Moreover, if in case things go south, the dealership can always shift the blame to the DSA and claim that we were not involved in the additional payment that was asked for. The DSA happily manages to make a quick buck in the middle while the dealership laughs straight to the bank with no risk involved.

2 - Compulsory sale of add ons.

Many a time, this premium amount is disguised as a compulsory accessory package a customer is forced to take. Instead of accepting hard cash, the dealership makes the customer buy a number of accessories at highly marked-up prices. This way, the dealership can show a clean sale as well as mint a good sum of money on the sale of these overpriced products. The dealership will also not let the incentive for selling products like extended warranty and/or a service pack go out of their hands and would happily ask the customer to cancel if they do not agree to their demands.

3 - Taking advantage of loopholes.

I can explain this particular case in a better manner with an example. A renowned premium brand recently took the responsibility for selling cars to its customers directly. The brand would take the ex-showroom and TCS amount of the car while the dealership would accept payments for registration, insurance and other add ons. By doing this, the brand has put a stop to the practice of dealerships selling out of their territory, attracting customers with over the top discounts. However, a loophole exists, where a dealership can sell in open territories. These open territories are generally union territories where people would register their cars to save tax on registration, for example, Daman, Pondicherry, HP and so on. So if in case a particular dealer has a car that is not freely available in the market, dealerships are able to find buyers outside of the state, with the help of DSAs of course, and charge a hefty premium and make a good amount.

However,
The major concern of mine is not the unethical practice, the major concern I have is, why are cars being hidden from customers?

Why is there a market where people are actually paying over sticker price to get their car and even more surprisingly, are able to get their car immediately after making such payments and are made to wait if they do not do so?

I understand the customers' POV here, considering the massive price hikes happening now and then and the fact that one must pay prices applicable at the time of delivery, they would not mind paying up more now and having a car in their garage right away. But if there are cars which become magically available by paying more, why is there a need to promote this no discount, pay over full price culture.

The Kia Seltos for example has been a car that has sold until now without a single rupee worth of discount all over the country until now since it was launched. From what I know, most Kia dealerships even deny paying commission to DSAs for bookings of cars like the Seltos, Sonet and Carens.

Is there a possibility that scarcity has been created so that customers do not feel eligible for discounts? Have car companies knowingly or unknowingly united to recover from what has been a rough time for business? Well, there might be no substance in this conspiracy theory I have but what irks me is the fact that new cars have become way too expensive and have driven the cost of used cars up as a result. Additionally, if there is an actual shortage of cars in the market then these folks who are paying up to cut the queue are essentially robbing the next person in line off of their car, which would essentially encourage the next person in line to pay over the sticker and the chain goes on and on.

I sincerely hope the world comes to normalcy soon and people stop paying these ridiculous over sticker prices so others could stand a chance to get delivery of their cars and the used car market returns to regular prices as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th March 2022 at 05:38. Reason: Full form of DSA added
Mechb63 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 11:32   #2
BHPian

Re: The curious case of priority car deliveries & long waiting periods

The price of elastic goods (like cars) are determined primarily by the demand. R. C. Bhargava made a pretty reasonable note during an interview, which I'm paraphrasing here "if I'm able to sell all that i manufacturer, why should i offer discounts".

The pandemic, and the government's response to it, certainly seems to have changed the demand pattern. In my observation, more people want to buy bigger, more expensive and safer cars. Also, most of the market are not willing to keep their vehicles for more than 5 years.

So honestly, I don't think it is fair to expect discounts from the manufacturers - they have a business to run. As long as they don't form cabals to artificially modify the demand supply equation, and the prices, I don't have a problem with them. I trust the state to ensure that this does not happen.

M&M have started a new, more cynical trend of ensuring faster deliveries for the XUV 700 if you subscribe through their leasing arm. Obviously this would yield more profits if they find takers.

The dealerships on the other-hand are blatantly unethical. I recently test drove the Altroz and the dealer lied to me about prescribed service intervals. They also want to milk the most out of the incomes they make through loans, insurance, and accessories. You can't blame them for trying to maximize their profits, but it somehow does not feel right to deploy coercive tactics.

The situation seems to be far better than in the US. My friend had to pay 10% over the MSRP to buy a Ford escape.

So in summary, I think the best thing we as buyers can do are the following:

1. Keep our cars for longer
2. Prefer buying used cars
3. Don't expect immediate delivery (i know this sounds harsh)
buzzy_boy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 21:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechb63 View Post
*SNIP*

Working as a DSA, I have noticed this weird practice that has been going on in the new car business and thought of sharing it with you all.*SNIP*
What does DSA mean, and how do DSAs work - I mean, whom do they work for and what's their business model?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 02:46   #4
BHPian

I believe these malpractices by dealers are well known by all and even the car companies. Something which is very visible "Handling charges" although illegal but everyone takes it and even mentions it in price sheets.

Companies know about it and will also promote it (in the background). For them it is like if a dealer can earn money through other ways, it becomes easy for them to give lesser commission to dealer to sell the car. So company has more money and clean slate.

It is very easy if a company wants to restrict these malpractices. Now that everything is online (even when we book the car), the system can be made transparent. Company can disclose on daily/weekly basis how many booking have been fulfilled and based on booking number a buyer can know when his car is arriving.
dextor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
What does DSA mean, and how do DSAs work - I mean, whom do they work for and what's their business model?

Cheers
A DSA is a Direct Sale Associate. You could call them the brokers of the car world. They could be working for their own firm, for a particular company or just be a freelancer.

The job is simple, connect the buyer with the dealership and earn commission on closure. A DSA would have tie-ups with multiple showrooms and will find the car you need from a particular showroom that suits your needs and offers the best discount. You also get to compare multiple brands as a DSA is not affiliated to one particular carmaker.

You may now ask why not go to the showroom directly? Well a DSA is more likely to get you a better deal as they provide the dealership with bulk bookings and save the efforts of the dealership as well by simply presenting a ready-made booking.
Mechb63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 14:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Companies know about it and will also promote it (in the background). For them it is like if a dealer can earn money through other ways, it becomes easy for them to give lesser commission to dealer to sell the car. So company has more money and clean slate.
This reminds me of the tipping culture in the US, which is also slowly reaching Indian shores via Swiggy/Zomato.
Old 12th March 2022, 17:23   #7
BHPian

I find this absolutely stupid that people have to wait 8-10 months or even a year for buying normal cars. It's such a waste when you just pay the booking and wait for your car to be built. My uncle is keen on a Creta and ready to wait 8 months.
Old 12th March 2022, 21:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

History repeats always:-
Seems like we are reenacting the 1960's, 70's and even 80's decades' scenario. The brands Vespa/Bajaj/Priya, Lambretta (not Lamby) , Fiat/Premier, Ambassador and later the Maruti 800 among the many had waiting lists stretching a few hundred meters to a few kms long if printed on a sheet. Unofficial premiums ruled the markets and depending on the season whether festival or marriage and so on, the premiums would vary. And cancellations would be rare and few. The lucky one with an allotment letter would immediately receive the unofficial premium offers from the desirous persons who would rush to contact him with the dealer in many cases helping both the seller and buyer for a cut.

But the rider here would be that all motor vehicles would not be transferable to a new name by any RTO in the country under law before the expiry of two years of ownership of the first owner of the brand new vehicle. This was purportedly and overtly to prevent malpractices. But with undated and signed transfer of ownership RTO documents by the existing owner, the new owner would be happy to take possession.

And regarding priority allotments and breaking the queue, there would be a central government servant, armed forces officials, press/media (allotted by the state Chief Minister at his discretion) and similar quotas. But the central govt servant and defence quotas would too have at least five year or more waiting lists that I have known in case of quite a few relatives and family friends. However, the press/media quotas would mature much sooner if the respective Chief Minister was pleased.

The same scenario has come back under a new guise now in 2021/22.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th March 2022 at 21:46.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 21:45   #9
BHPian

I enquired about a Crysta, at first the dealership stated a waiting period of 3-4 months. We walked out. Now they're ready for a delivery in 7 days with choice of variants and colors, provided we pay a "transit fee" of 6900 and take their insurance. And this isn't a isolated case either. Same experience with VW and Hyundai in my area too.
In my opinion, this is just a bubble waiting to burst. Right now there might be a pent up demand but a year from now, when the demand eases up, these practices will stop. But if manufacturers are in on this, then they can ride this chip shortage thing to the bank for god knows how long.

Last edited by Stolidus500 : 12th March 2022 at 21:46.
Stolidus500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 12:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

It is just demand and supply. Dealers/DSAs know they can 'overcharge' and divert allocated cars because -

1. People are willing to pay more for getting the car sooner.
2. There is no transperancy to the end customer, so they have limited avenues for redressal.

This is repeated everytime a blockbuster car is launched and the manufacturer can't keep up with the demand.

The EcoSport was one such launch back in the day which had an insane waiting period initially and DSAs were quoting figures like 1 lakh+ for immediate allocation. We are pobably now seeing the same thing with XUV700/Thar.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 17:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechb63 View Post
Why is there a market where people are actually paying over sticker price to get their car and even more surprisingly, are able to get their car immediately after making such payments and are made to wait if they do not do so?

Is there a possibility that scarcity has been created so that customers do not feel eligible for discounts? Have car companies knowingly or unknowingly united to recover from what has been a rough time for business?
Well to understand this, you'll also have to look at it from the dealer's point of view. Dealer finances are usually stretched and i honestly haven't heard of a well to do vehicle dealer (at least in the what is reported - what we call on-paper finances). This has resulted in underhand activities in the past like pushing for add ons / insurance / extra payment for out of turn deliveries to make that extra buck. What was earlier a gimmick of giving discounts from maybe their own margins to move sales and convert on-paper margins to realised margins has changed now and it is just that they are making hay while the sun shines.

Chip shortage has indeed led to supply constraints and with fear mongering that it'll continue in the future, people are ready to pay for an option to hold on to get a delivery one year down the line. In the past people used to buy a car when then ACTUALLY wanted a car. Now i have friends and relatives who have booked the car considering wait times of 1 - 1.5 years which is well ahead of when they would have ACTUALLY started the process of replacing their car.
nick.cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 19:49   #12
BHPian

Being in the market for a Fortuner (not Legender), I've inquired at lots of Toyota dealerships for a readily available car be it any variant. Locally, me and my brother have been to the dealerships and they quoted waiting periods ranging anywhere from 3 to 6 months and calling dealerships outside my state (UP & Delhi) resulted in getting a tentative waiting period of anywhere around 6 months or more.

Now the interesting thing is, when we pulled some strings, we got to know that 2 Fortuners are available in Gurgaon in Super White and Brown colour (we want Pearl White and Chamois interior) through middlemen but they'll charge 50k over the OTR as their commission and we can take ready delivery with no negotiations entertained on the OTR price, maybe a bit of discount on the insurance and that's it.

We were 'OK' with paying 50k over and above as my brother cannot wait for 4-5 months (his i20 is now 9+ years old and in terrible shape), but after mutually agreeing to everything, the middleman started demanding a sum of 1.5 lakhs instead of the 50k earlier over which my brother decided to not buy the car and rather book it in our home state and wait.
My brother came back dejected from Gurgaon as he hoped to get the car home on the same day but oh well, now he can get his preferred variant, exterior and interior combination.

Similarly, when we were looking at Creta, we heard the same story of high waiting periods but pulling some strings, a car magically turns up at their stockyard (how??) but obviously it wasn't and won't be in our choice of color/variant/trim.

To sum it up, these kind of practices do exist and i know atleast 2 people who bought their Thar's this way. I don't know how it works, but from an ethical standpoint, it shouldn't be allowed to happen as people some people have been waiting for their cars for many months and should rightly get their delivery before anybody who's willing to pay a premium gets to jump ahead of them in the queue through these means.
Doonite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 22:49   #13
BHPian

As someone looking forward to buy my first car, this is scary. The times are hard enough on my nerves and hearing these scenarios is making me unable to decide how to proceed with a purchase.

I had planned to book the car in May/June but would like to wait until October so that the 6 airbag law comes into effect but now I am wondering if that will mean waiting until 2024 to get my car.
Old 27th April 2022, 07:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Now the interesting thing is, when we pulled some strings, we got to know that 2 Fortuners are available in Gurgaon in Super White and Brown colour (we want Pearl White and Chamois interior) through middlemen but they'll charge 50k over the OTR as their commission and we can take ready delivery with no negotiations entertained on the OTR price, maybe a bit of discount on the insurance and that's it.
I've got a similar story with the XUV700. I'm being asked 2l more for ANY petrol variant and 2.5 for the Diesel.
sid3091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 08:54   #15
BHPian

Very nicely written article, being in financial services myself I am always amazed as the quality of people work with DSAs and the knowledge and customer service they bring to the table. Many customers directly want to deal with only company people without involvement of agent (being considered as a middleman and hence bad) but time and again I feel DSAs are always best option to give best deals to the customers and help in choosing right product.

Coming to the point of discounts I recently picked up Sonet Diesel GTX for wife with some prefixed accessories being part of display car at 16.85 Lac on road. I did not feel the pinch as I liked the car the accessories were decent, and even insurance quote was cheaper than being quoted from outside. As customer, always bargaining and wanting a discount or what accessories we will get free should become passe IMHO.

My requirement was automatic with front sensor car parking with all bells and whistles and a good audio system mostly considering only top end variants. Car was to be for my wife and she was only looking at few brands not into TATAs Mahindras, Maruti at all. Budget of 15-18 lacs with biggest requirement was immediate delivery, following were my options.

- i20 - No waiting
- i20 N line - No waiting
- Creta - 6 months (Being Elantra owner, I know few Hyundai guys and they said just not possible to get it in less than 3 months
- Venue – No waiting
- Seltos - 3-6 Months, few options were able which were top end but then was going a bit out of budget
- Sonet Petrol - 3 Months
- Alcazar - No waiting
- Verna - No waiting
- Karens (Before price release, I was offered immediate delivery but had to deposit 10 lacs, it had few features missing and was a bit big and we wanted more compact car)
- Astor - 3 Months (Knew someone in MG and he said you will get it in 1)
- VW Taigun - Discount of 1 Lac or so 2021 model. No waiting
- Sonet Diesel - Only 1 car Red, with PPF 3M mats under body coating etc at full sticker price + 30k for accessories, finally did inspection and picked it in 5 days.

So many of these dealers refused to take my booking as I wanted a car in no more than 1 week. All of them Hyundai, Kia, MG etc said that the main reason is that due to social media escalations they just cannot afford to get bad stars and are reprimanded by the companies for same.

I am not sure that all cars have high waiting period but somehow the car companies have mis-calculated demand of some models and maybe are also pushing more profitable models and upselling (Creta - Alcazar). Also with facelifts round the corner customers are not picking up older models, Venue, Verna and very capable cars but the multimedia panels are very outdated.

If you are in the market today for a car that u want immediately there are a few options to chose from. However if you are wanting a particular latest model variant and color then all the best.
DesertRain is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks