Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2022, 08:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis & S-Presso to get engine upgrades. EDIT: S-Presso launched at Rs. 4.25 lakh

As an owner of the Celerio and S-Presso AMT both of which are daily drivers and done 4000 + kms till date (Celerio 50 kms mixed highway/city and s-presso 20 kms daily city), let me give you some insights.

Engine , Refinement and Performance:

The K10C in the Celerio is vastly more refined at idle and midrange compared to the agricultural unit in the S-Presso. Worst thing is S-Presso has transmission whine also. Also vibrations at idle and on the move are much more. Refinement wise, its no contest. Easy win for Celerio.

Don't be fooled by the BHP down on paper. Celerio is much peppier on the highway if you keep your foot down. In city, however, the S-Presso has a better advantage (I am talking K10B) as the AMT doesn't shift up as quicky as the Celerio and you will always be in the powerband. The thing I hate about the Celerio is that it very quickly and un-necessarily shifts into top gear and the moment you press down, there is a lurch and head nod. More to do with the AMT programming and sadly, I feel this will be the case for the new K10C S-Presso also.

The flip side is mileage. The Celerio is at least 2-3 km/l more efficient than the S-Presso (even without stop/start, another irritating feature which I always keep off).

Interior space:

The Celerio is wider than the S-Presso (see pic), although not by much. 5 people are impossible in the S-Presso. Celerio can fit 3 medium size people. Boot is also 20% bigger in the Celerio.

Ride & Handling:

No contest, Celerio with its wider track and overall lower CG feels much more planted (relative) than the S-Presso. Also, S-Presso has higher wind noise and suffers from cross-wind buffeting. The ride is also much more bouncy than the Celerio especially at the rear.

Plus for the S-Presso:

- High seating position and can see the front bonnet (useful for my dad and entry for my arthritic mom)
- Narrow width for easy squeezing into spaces
- Non painted lower portion of bumpers which hides city scrapes
- Powerful A/C

Plus for Celerio:

- Smoother engine
- More hatchback like so better handling and ride
- Powerful ac
- Relatively better status (S-Presso is slowly getting that taxi image)
- Mileage
- Keyless entry
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis & S-Presso to get engine upgrades. EDIT: S-Presso launched at Rs. 4.25 lakh-rr1.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd July 2022 at 19:01. Reason: Spacing, punctuation
Nanolover is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 11:46   #32
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis & S-Presso to get engine upgrades. EDIT: S-Presso launched at Rs. 4.25 lakh

Can't believe where the carmakers are heading with their prices.
So, we were thinking to replace Alto Lxi 2010 model with S-Presso at home for city duties and the final on-road price we settled on for VXI+ manual model after a 20k discount was 5 lakhs. This was 6 months back. Today that model itself is priced at 5.15 lakh ex-showroom. Easily it will cross 6 lakhs on-road prices.
Highh5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
As an owner of the Celerio and S-presso AMT both of which are daily drivers and done 4000 + kms till date( celerio 50 kms mixed highway/city and s-presso 20 kms daily city) , let me give you some insights
How do you find the AMT on these cars? As far as I know, AMTs are getting better, but nowhere near as good as TC or CVT gearbox. How do you find AMT in the city and on the highway on these cars ? Are they still jerky in the city ?

Last edited by amvj : 22nd July 2022 at 15:52.
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:09   #34
BHPian

Celerio's more slippery shape and being lower to the ground helps in achieving better efficiency IMO. Certain cars being used as a Taxi is not a bad thing at all, mostly the cars that are reliable and easy to maintain are often chosen for the purpose. Even the very posh E class is used as Taxi in the Europe. That's no big deal, but what matters the most is meeting one's needs and requirements well.
Old 22nd July 2022, 20:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
How do you find the AMT on these cars? As far as I know, AMTs are getting better, but nowhere near as good as TC or CVT gearbox. How do you find AMT in the city and on the highway on these cars ? Are they still jerky in the city ?
Amt is better and is quite smooth if you are smooth with throttle inputs and smooth driving. ( especially the celerio). However the bs6 tuning means that it shifts up rapidly to the highest gear,sometimes to 5 th at 40 km/h. The spresso ( k10b) is much more energetic and shifts to 5th only around 50 km/h. That being said neither of them can remotely hope to match the silky smoothness of a tc or cvt. If money no object,please go for a proper auto transmission. AMT is bearable and we can live with at best.

The biggest advantage for AMT is mileage. The celerio daily driving distance of 60 kms ( 20 % city and 80% highway) it easily gives 18+ with ac. Reasons are efficient engine and better aero. Spresso in city only driving gives 12 to 13 km/l with ac on.
Nanolover is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 09:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just to clear any confusion (including mine) about the actual availability of ESP on the S Presso AGS , here is a video which shows the ESP switch . So its not just hill-hold like the Wagon R AGS, its ESP+ Hill Hold as advertised by MSIL in some sections of the brochure.

Slide over to 3.28 onwards on the timeline in case you dont want to see the rest of the video.

fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 00:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Given that Ignis will completemsix years in 2023, I guess we will see a new gen Ignis with dualjet engines. As the car would be nearing end of life for this gen, I see little sense in plonking a new engine at this stage. This may be the reason of not getting dualjet engine in Ignis.
Old 15th October 2022, 06:58   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
. Spresso in city only driving gives 12 to 13 km/l with ac on.
You mean the K10B Spresso? Would be a bummer if the K10C Spresso is giving these figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Given that Ignis will completemsix years in 2023, I guess we will see a new gen Ignis with dualjet engines. As the car would be nearing end of life for this gen, I see little sense in plonking a new engine at this stage. This may be the reason of not getting dualjet engine in Ignis.
Well. Going by Maruti's tradition, there is a good chance the Ignis would be killed off without a replacement. It isn't Maruti enough.
Would love to have hill-hold in the Ignis AMT, since even the cheaper Spresso has it. But fear that instead of hearing about a dualjet engine Ignis with hill hold and (hopefully) ESP, we would hear them axing it off to rationalise product line-up.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:13   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

TDing the Spresso, WagonR and Ignis AMTs, torn between the Spresso and Ignis AMTs.

The normal SAs are non committal and are saying that there is no such news. Even if the Ignis dualjet with hill hold comes, there would be price increases and waiting periods. Ofcourse, they want to close the deal ASAP.

But a senior team leader at the nearest Nexa said that the updated Ignis is around the corner and would be launched soon.

Old 8th June 2023, 13:35   #40
BHPian

Has anyone got central arm rest fitted in Spresso between front seats? If yes then please share the feedback.
Quick update on our car:-
Our Spresso Vxi+ AGS is doing good city duty in bumper to bumper to traffic, we absolutely love taking her out for city drive for quick dash to destination. Mileage in city ranges between 14-16 KMPL will AC on. It has done close to 5K KM's in last 7 months.

Central arm rest will be welcome addition to overall comfort in short city drives. Please let me know if anyone of you have experience with such fitment which is not available as official accessory (MGA).
Old 8th June 2023, 14:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Can't believe where the carmakers are heading with their prices.
So, we were thinking to replace Alto Lxi 2010 model with S-Presso at home for city duties and the final on-road price we settled on for VXI+ manual model after a 20k discount was 5 lakhs. This was 6 months back. Today that model itself is priced at 5.15 lakh ex-showroom. Easily it will cross 6 lakhs on-road prices.
And guess what, that same Spresso VXI+ now costs Rs 5.5 lakhs! It costs close to 6.5 lakhs on road in many cities!
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 22:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
Has anyone got central arm rest fitted in Spresso between front seats? If yes then please share the feedback.

Central arm rest will be welcome addition to overall comfort in short city drives. Please let me know if anyone of you have experience with such fitment which is not available as official accessory (MGA).
The one I got from Amazon (link https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and fitted in my S-presso in Bangalore is definitely much better than another one I got from Rideofrenzy.com site (which is fitted on my other S-presso in Kerala). Will be happy to answer in case of any specific questions.
manij is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks