Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2022, 12:53   #16
BHPian

Re: 2022 Kia Seltos to get many updates, including new suspension tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwas008 View Post
I booked HTK+ petrol variant in February 2022 with an expected delivery date around June-July 2022.
If the new changes are introduced before that, will my booking be updated with the latest changes or will I still get the older model? Any ideas?
Hi Vishwas!

I've also booked the Seltos and had a chat with the sales guy yesterday. He says some of the previous features and colours have been discontinued as per the updated training material (read PPTs) they got yesterday. He said all new deliveries will be with the updates. Believe me he would not have said it if he was not authorised to.

In any case i wrote an email to them saying my booking should stand and I want the updated car. Suggest you do the same and urge them to acknowledge pronto.

Cheers!
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 13:49   #17
BHPian

Feel envious on missing out the side and curtain airbags on my GT Line. It is very assuring, thanks to the Government’s mandate, to introduce the additional airbags support.
Old 5th April 2022, 19:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Hi Vishwas!

I've also booked the Seltos and had a chat with the sales guy yesterday.
===
Suggest you do the same and urge them to acknowledge pronto.

Cheers!
Thanks Clouseau!

That relieves much anxiety off me. Will definitely write to them and revert with their response.
Old 5th April 2022, 19:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I booked HTK+ petrol variant in February 2022 with an expected delivery date around June-July 2022.
If the new changes are introduced before that, will my booking be updated with the latest changes or will I still get the older model? Any ideas?
You can mention to the dealer that you are only interested in the latest model. Also when they communicate to you about allotment, do check with them the month of manufacturing to verify that you are getting latest model.

It has happened with me during Creta purchase that I booked a color which Hyundai later discontinued. Dealer had ready stock and offered me instant delivery. Upon further probing, it turned out to be few months old stock which didn't have latest features but dealer wanted new revised price!

So I let it pass and waited for latest version (although had to settle for another color as the one I booked was no more offered).

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 5th April 2022 at 19:33.
Aviator_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 20:39   #20
BHPian

Good to see these features being added. It would have been great if they added rear wiper as standard across variants as I don't understand how can such an important feature be only provided in higher variants by most manufacturers.
Old 6th April 2022, 22:15   #21
BANNED

What good are AirBags if the structure is still unstable. I don’t get why anyone would buy this car.
Old 8th April 2022, 13:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Kia India has launched the updated Seltos. Here’s the full price list:

2022 Kia Seltos to get many updates, including new suspension tune-20220408_132351.jpg

2022 Kia Seltos to get many updates, including new suspension tune-20220408_132354.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 14:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
What good are AirBags if the structure is still unstable. I don’t get why anyone would buy this car.
- It is because not all cars in its price segment are crash tested to know if their body shell is stable/unstable. A 3-star GNCAP rated car is probably not as bad it is perceived to be and anyday better than an untested car.

- It is because majority of the Seltos owners have only good things to say about the vehicle. Exceptions are always there and in this case it is minimal on the forum and outside.
Old 8th April 2022, 14:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
We need to understand the "unstable structure" point a bit more. It looks quite bad on face value.

However - the point actually means the structure is unstable for "further loading". I.e. - in case the crash happens at a speed higher than the standard test speed - the chassis may not deliver the same safety performance and may deform to unsafe levels.
This doesn't suddenly make the car unsafe or a widow-maker. Statistically given the use-conditions, driver reactions just before the impact- most crashes still happen at the speed at which the GNCAP test is done, and so the star rating will hold true in case of a crash.
The additional airbags definitely will make a big difference in case of a side-impact or a roll-over incident. No two ways about it.

In our minds - we equate 3 star + unstable = "0 star, complete unsafe". Its a bit incorrect. That said - Its still disappointing that KIA thinks its not worth spending money to go the distance and achieve a stable rating with stiffer chassis as well.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 20:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
However - the point actually means the structure is unstable for "further loading". I.e. - in case the crash happens at a speed higher than the standard test speed
It's actually just a small penalty when there are symptoms that show there's poor repeatability of the intrusion recorded in the test. They can't afford to test five Seltoses and take the lowest result so they just penalise the score by a point instead, citing poor repeatability, i.e., instability of structural performance, or in other words, weak structural integrity.

It needs to be made very clear that structural integrity and structural performance are quite different concepts.

First of all, structural performance is not something binary you can put as 'good' or 'bad'. You can have structural performance of varying degrees and rest assured the Global NCAP frontal impact takes this into account hugely, you'll just see it as part of the colouring on the dummies instead of in words. There are pretty big penalties for bad structural performance: steering column movement, hinge pillar movement, pedal intrusion etc. and all of those vary greatly based on how much intrusion there is. You can't put it as 'good' or 'bad'. 'Stable' or 'unstable' refers to whether that intrusion is robust or not, not how much intrusion there is exactly.

It doesn't make unstable structure a good thing, for example I'm really mad the Honda City didn't live up to the standard expected from it (Honda brags about structure a lot) it's just less important than it's made out to be. It would make a difference for a model aiming for five stars because unstable structure also means Global NCAP declines kneemapping data (when there's geometric distortion of the passenger compartment in the full-scale crash, a sled test might not be representative of what happened in the test).

The case with the Seltos was different: the passenger compartment intrusion was limited though unstable, still good for a higher result. But the footwell collapsed. That means not just rupture of the floorpan (unstable footwell area) but very high intrusion of the pedals which led to great loss of points. My (unreliable) maths says the Seltos' rearward pedal intrusion was somewhere between 14.175 cm and 17.475 cm but Global NCAP haven't published the actual value.

To give you a hint of approximately how much the pedal intrusion would've been in the Seltos: here's what the post-test footwell looked like in another car with footwell rupture and brown feet like the Seltos, the second-gen Indian Swift:
Name:  FO1014SSW1  Footwell.png
Views: 735
Size:  110.9 KB
(Picture: AutoEsporte)

It's very concerning that consumers are using stable or unstable to determine whether a car is 'crashworthy or not'. And I say this because I know what it's like to be a VW fanboy harping about the Polo's stable structure without realising what it means.

Last edited by ron178 : 8th April 2022 at 21:00.
ron178 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 11:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Clouseau!

That relieves much anxiety off me. Will definitely write to them and revert with their response.
Hi Vishwas,

I've received confirmation from the sales guys that all new deliveries from the announcement date will be with the new features. So no worries mate.

Cheers!
Old 18th April 2022, 14:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
You can mention to the dealer that you are only interested in the latest model. Also when they communicate to you about allotment, do check with them the month of manufacturing to verify that you are getting latest model.

It has happened with me during Creta purchase that I booked a color which Hyundai later discontinued. Dealer had ready stock and offered me instant delivery. Upon further probing, it turned out to be few months old stock which didn't have latest features but dealer wanted new revised price!

So I let it pass and waited for latest version (although had to settle for another color as the one I booked was no more offered).
Thankyou Aviator_guy
After seeing your post, I kept on insisting my dealer to provide an assurance around updated model delivery. After 2-3 follow-ups, they did assured me on their official whatsapp group that the latest model only will be delivered to me.
Thank you again!
Old 18th April 2022, 14:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Hi Vishwas,

I've received confirmation from the sales guys that all new deliveries from the announcement date will be with the new features. So no worries mate.

Cheers!
Yes!
My dealer also confirmed on their official Whatsapp chat that I will be delivered the updated model .
Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks