Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 11:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Infographic: Percentage of households owning a car/bike in each Indian State

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Reminds me of the joke, " You could see a guy wearing the latest dress and riding a KTM motorcycle to work at a construction site in Kerala....
This is so true. Hero Impulse and Duke are very popular among young daily wage Keralite workers. I remember:

1) Our maid's son, who is a construction worker, bought a Himalayan couple of months back - because YOLO.

2) Circa 2012, one of my neighbors had bought a Pulsar 220. He used to be a salesman in a small garment shop at that time. A couple of months after he bought the Pulsar 220, he quit the salesman job and started going for construction work because he said it pays him more and makes him afford the monthly EMI.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 20th May 2022 at 11:53.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 16:26   #32

Re: Infographic: Percentage of households owning a car/bike in each Indian State

Seeing all the stats my eyes are wide open, and making me feel Blessed. Thanking God for making me lucky enough to own cars.

I Pray, God Bless one and all, no car is ok but at least they can lead a comfortable and stress free life to beat recent macro economic outlook.
Old 20th May 2022, 17:00   #33
BHPian

In northern states, there is also a factor of inclement weather during winter and extreme summer. Consider the case of someone who has to commute longer distances daily. In such cases, having a car, even if it is a low cost one, may become a necessity. In southern states, particularly the coastal areas, such case may be possible during the rainy season.
mayd85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 17:51   #34
BHPian

There are a lot of rentals and taxis, but another reason is the lack of public transport. We don't have uber and ola and the taxi charges (even for locals) are exorbitant. Many go for multiple cars per household for the same reason.

In spite of this, the options for service centers are limited compared to say Mumbai, Bangalore or Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Really surprised to see Goa having 85%+ 2 wheeler density.
I thought it would be more than 100% as many people rent out scooters to travellers and almost everyone has a personal scooter too.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 06:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Many car owners in my circle do not ride/own two wheelers.
That could also be driven by the fact that many middle class family parents put restriction on teenagers at home for owning and usage of two wheelers in fear of higher possibility of accidents. Atleast in Kolkata i used to see this as common reason

Hence, a lot of such people directly started driving 4 wheeler once they could afford.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 14:18   #36
BHPian

Don't wish to start a political debate but any data that shows the former state of j&k as it's shown on the map in the first post doesn't seem very accurate to me. How'd they calculate the data if parts of those areas are under Pakistan and china ?
Old 22nd May 2022, 14:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
Don't wish to start a political debate but any data that shows the former state of j&k as it's shown on the map in the first post doesn't seem very accurate to me. How'd they calculate the data if parts of those areas are under Pakistan and china ?
Well as you don't wish to get political you should not post as above. The map as depicted is correct under the laws of India.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 18:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Well as you don't wish to get political you should not post as above. The map as depicted is correct under the laws of India.
Yessir, I'm a firm believer that the map does show what is ours. I've spent a part of my life there (our Indian areas atleast).

My point was restricted to the data collation and representative sampling which is why I mentioned the political bit. I have my doubts around accuracy of the data for that former state.

Its possible that due to lack of govt owned transport options like trains / metros etc ownership of private vehciles could be high.
But 23.7% when compared to other parts of our country does seem unusually high unless the data was taken maybe in just Srinagar and then used as a representative sample for the entire area. If thats the case then it cant be a fair comparison.
theqca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
But 23.7% when compared to other parts of our country does seem unusually high unless the data was taken maybe in just Srinagar and then used as a representative sample for the entire area. If thats the case then it cant be a fair comparison.
A back of the envelope calculation suggests that data is realistic.

1. Number of cars : 5 lakh (JnK RTO : https://jaktrans.nic.in/statisticalinformation.html )
2. Population + Avg number of ppl in family from latest surveys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian...household_size

Gives 20.36%

Name:  jnk_cars_calc.png
Views: 710
Size:  23.0 KB
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 09:11   #40
BHPian

My first question for all statistics is 'What is the source of the data?. In this case there is none mentioned in the infographics that I could see. I might have missed something. Somewhere else I read that this is from the National Family Health Survey. God how could this survey be taken as a source for cars in each state? Basically the correct source of info should be Ministry of Road Transport. I trawled through their site and found nothing. I did find data from 2011-12 in Wikipedia which references data from the Ministry of Road Transport. The stats are nothing like what is shown in the infographics for cars. I guess one cannot draw any conclusions unless we are sure about the data!!
Old 27th December 2022, 11:09   #41
BHPian

State-wise Car Ownership per household in India

Infographic: Percentage of households owning a car/bike in each Indian State-fk9zuyxgaafleb.jpg

Anand Mahindra has too tweeted this morning. Some interesting observations:

1. Border states have higher car ownership. Either

- they have higher disposable income due to lower spending opportunities, or
- public transport is poor/not many available, so have to rely on own transport
- using it to sell in to neighbor countries

2. Himalayan states - necessity to own a car for mobility. Ownership is skewed towards smaller cars.
3. Kerala, Gujrat - this is reflection of good road infra and disposable income.
4. States like Bihar and Orissa - poor infra and poverty. Also less mobility and people migrating.

Mods: Please merge it with any existing thread on the topic. Thanks.
Gsynch is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 12:02   #42
BHPian

re: State-wise Car Ownership per household in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
1. Border states have higher car ownership. Either

- they have higher disposable income due to lower spending opportunities, or
- public transport is poor/not many available, so have to rely on own transport
- using it to sell in to neighbor countries
I think it's more to do with the population density then the above factors. You can see the opposite pattern in states with a larger area, and therefore a lesser population density. I'm wondering how they arrived at the data. Did they factor in the population of the states or they just went with the per household data? These are just my observations. I could be wrong!

Quote:
3. Kerala, Gujrat - this is reflection of good road infra and disposable income.
Kerala does not have good road infra due to its geography. They do have more disposable income, and again, due to the geography, they cannot rely solely on public transport. They have scattered population especially in hilly areas, and with so many Estates and plantations, they have to have their own jeeps and 4wds.
JoaTMoN is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 16:04   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ian-state.html (Infographic: Percentage of households owning a car/bike in each Indian State)

The thread here is already discussing the topic.

Quote:
Disposable income (or borrowed income), it is definitely not good infra in Kerala though road network is pretty good.

Add to that, the population and settlement in Kerala is pretty uniformly spread, so able to use cars for short distances, unlike say in other states where most of the people able to own cars live in cramped urban centres/ have no parking and they would rather own a 2 wheeler than a car.
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 16:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet Kerala topped the T-BHP poll on worst roads in India.

The proliferation of vehicles in Kerala has more to do with disposable income (as you rightly point out) coming from foreign remittances. Combine that with the downfall of the private bus industry and the annihilation of KeSRTC by the powers that be, and creaking railway infrastructure that is sometimes slower than the roads - it is no surprise that people want to buy their own vehicles.

Btw - the image (even the one tweeted by Anand Mahindra) has its attribution masked which doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited by binand : 27th December 2022 at 16:49.
binand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 16:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised by Delhi numbers. The percentage doesn't reflect the popular perception. I expected it to be at least 30 % . The same for Haryana.15% looks a bit low. Even in Maharashtra, TN, Karnataka you would expect a figure of at least 10% -15%, given the relatively high number of industries and large urban agglomerations.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th December 2022 at 16:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks