Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 19:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

fabia will be coming in with the 1.4 tdi PD engine and 1.2 petrol unit. there might be an option with 1.4, the PD might be optional.
Old 18th June 2007, 19:50   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't have any problem with Skoda... I'd go so far as to say that, within a couple of years, if the right model is available (ie I don't want a larger car) I'd buy one!

But I'd rather be buying a VW Polo or Golf.

Isn't that part of the problem VAG have with launching VW here... that Skoda has upped itself to take the VW price slot?

If its just tax issues, then I guess the VW would be absurdly over-priced.

And yes, whenever I've taken a cab in Germany, it's been a Merc --- but not of the luxury standard we usually associate with that name. However, one guy told me: he drives it all day, his brother drives it all night, and they last and last and last.....
Old 18th June 2007, 21:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But I'd rather be buying a VW Polo or Golf.
off topic : i'd be rather buying a vaxhall monaro, a real muscle car at actual price of around Pound : 30,000 (approx). Indian Rupess : 22,50,000/-. I will get an 6 litre V 8 engine that produces around 403 ps of power. Compare that to what you can buy at that rupees in India.

The point is not what you would rather have. . .the point is what is being offered here.

And as of today the Skoda stands true to its promise of 'luxury'. Agreed the back space is confined at the back of the octi, but that alone is not a benchmark of luxury.

extremly sorry if i am sounding assertive or rude.

cheers.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st June 2007 at 14:50. Reason: Quote corrected
Old 18th June 2007, 22:15   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

If I had thirty grand to spend in UK I'd almost certainly go for an Audi --- not a vauxhall, however high-in-the-range.

But I never have been , and never will be, a buyer in that price range in any country, I'm afraid.

And it seems a great deal less relevant than comparing the Skoda to cars manufactured by the same group, currently available in India or not.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:30   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
In my opinion, engine is just one part of the car. It is the car as a whole which matters. The power delivery, ride, handling and interiors, along with the engine. Even the Accent CRDI was a 3 cylinder engine if I am not wrong.
Engine is just one part of the car. But a car is nothing without an engine. 3-cylinder engines have higher number of unbalanced forces and hence more vibrations.

How can a good upmarket and luxury car (if fabia is thought to be one) be based on a design that has fundamentally higher vibrations?

And which Skoda in the C/entry level D segment gives me luxury class rear seat comfort? Or luxury class interiours?

For build quality, our Palio is amazingly well built - we paid not more than 5 lacks for it and our City has not build quality issues wither...paid less than 8 lacks for it. Talking of interiors (completely ignoring the engine, as you suggest), City is "high - class".
Old 19th June 2007, 10:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Engine is just one part of the car. But a car is nothing without an engine. 3-cylinder engines have higher number of unbalanced forces and hence more vibrations.

For build quality, our Palio is amazingly well built - we paid not more than 5 lacks for it and our City has not build quality issues wither...paid less than 8 lacks for it. Talking of interiors (completely ignoring the engine, as you suggest), City is "high - class".
3 cylinder engines have number of unbalanced forces, I agree. But NVH can always be made better, with better dampening material, etc. I do not know how well is Skoda's new Fabia in Europe. I have not read any reviews.

What I intend to say is that I do not want to jump into conclusions about Fabia yet. Let them launch it and we can then have an idea about how they have taken care of NVH.

I drive a Palio too and I am quite happy with the exterior build quality. I am however not happy with with the fit and finish of many interior material.

If people do not think City as "high class", why are they paying around 9 lakh to get a 77 horse engined car? OK. Some part of their hard earned money goes towards sporting the "H" name, but is that all with the City? I have not sat in City, but from many people, I have heard that the comfort and refinement are the best in class. In fact, City is a classic example of people thinking more about car as a whole rather than 4 wheels connected to an engine.

In fact, some of our team-bhpians are contemplating buying U-VA over Palio 1.6 for the similar reason, inspite of Stile being cheaper than U-VA.

To each, his own. Some people think about engine as the single most important component in a car, but some people think about other aspects.

Yes, Octavia does not seem to have great rear leg room and luxury. But, new Fabia hatch claims to have the best rear and boot space in that class. Also, it claims to have used very good quality material for interiors. So, let us wait and see.
Old 21st June 2007, 10:48   #67
LLL
BHPian

AN article in TOI Auto times says fabia may be launched as hatch in swift range with a pricing of 5-6 lakhs. It will be modded to meet excise norms..so length may be reduced.

Also it will be launched as sedan in aveo/fiesta range priced at 6-7 lakh range.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:10   #68
BHPian

After going thru these posts I am given these definition for a luxury car. A luxury car is :
1. Well built
2. Trouble free
3. Good looking
4. Priced higher than everyone else!

Man! unbelievable how much we indians are robbed off by these so called luxury car makers currently in india. The above are definition of a good car man (of course except No.4!) and not for a luxury car!!! To me, luxury means, the car should have more than what it supposedly designed to do. Not just people mover from A to B, but with certain extra-ordinary comfort features like almost nill NVH, sensory pleasures like plush seats, A/V Systems, good shocks and not but not least high safety standards/features like airbags for everyone/ABS/EBD/Traction control etc. Check this out pls : LEXUS - intelligent well being and check this out

What Skoda (even Daewoo Cielo was a luxury car some time back for us!) offers in its entire range? Lexus, Mercs, Beemers, yes! but Skoda? hmmm.... let me think.

I know I am opening up a pandora's box! ;-) but cant help it!

Lastly,
1. Luxury changes over time...(PS/PW/ABS/Airbags were luxury once but now its a basic (atleast SX4 changed all that!).
2. Secondly, once the consumer gets educated, he will know whats luxury!

Last edited by sgmuser : 21st June 2007 at 14:18.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
may be,

Skoda thinks only its customers are foolish enough to book a car without knowing engine specs, colour options, price, trim level etc. Cant imagine...
Or as Skoda knows from its record of overpriced service, only its customers will have the `intelligence' and the luxury to pay a lot for so little (or in this case for nothing).
Old 21st June 2007, 14:44   #70
BHPian

Let the Fabia be launched and let the specifications and features come out. Even the price mentioned is tentative. Let everything is annouced officially. Then we can discuss about the overpricing or underpricing whatever.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Or as Skoda knows from its record of overpriced service, only its customers will have the `intelligence' and the luxury to pay a lot for so little (or in this case for nothing).
Skoda - manufacturer of happy drivers
Honda/Toyota/Maruti - manufacturer of happy owners

nobody's perfect.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

I saw a Fabia near Vidhana soudha doing test drive, I think it looks very similar to Swift, Who will pay 7-8lacs for that??
It may be slightly bigger than swift, I think it will have the same fate as Fusion.
Overpriced small car!!!!!!
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:40   #73
BHPian

more info on fabia

Indiatimes Auto
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:04   #74
BHPian

If the Grande Punto is priced right, it will kill the Skoda even before its born.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

7 lakhs isnt really a bad price for the Fabia considering it retails for 8000 pounds in the UK.

Skoda IS a premium brand in India and I see a lot pf people who will be ready to pay 7 lakhs for a Fabia.

The only question is whether the public will pay that much for a hatch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks