Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How many major breakdowns did you have during the warranty / extended warranty period ?
None 274 78.51%
1 or 2 56 16.05%
3 or more 19 5.44%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 09:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Did your car break down during the warranty / extended warranty period?

My 2007 Scorpio 2.6 CRDE broke down multiple times within months of buying.

1. Clutch Pedal collapsed within Weeks

2. Clutch pedal collapsed again after a few weeks. Clutch Pedal assembly and cylinders were changed

3. Clutch plate and pressure was changed as the problem persisted and I was scared that it would break down again

4. Engine mounts were changed as there was Jeep death wobble kind of vibration when lifting off on gradual slope (not exactly a break down)

5. There was play in the Drive shaft and oil started leaking, got stranded in my native

All in All, a pretty bad experience with the Scorpio. But also had some very memorable drives as well

Regards
Old 13th June 2022, 10:57   #47
BHPian

I am reminded of my new Lambretta Scooter bought in 1972.
It was regular visitor to the Authorised Service Centre.
Cause : Oil from the chamber would leak in to Wheel and Brake Pads.
Result : Poor and later no Brake as the Brake Pads got soaked with Engine Oil.
First Visit - Replaced Oil Seal.
Second - Replaced Oil Seal
Third - Replaced Oil Seal and Oil Ring
Fourth - Took serious note of repeated complaint. Some technician noticed something wrong with the Main Ball Bearing and replaced Ball Bearing, Oil Ring and Oil Seal.
Alas! Lambretta was back at ASS again, in a week.
There was hardly a mechanic in the ASS, whose Finger Prints were not embossed on my Scooter.
In next session, the Crankcase was replaced. The Engine Number was punched on the new block. This meant that the whole engine was dismantled and reassembled. With that, the woes of the Scooter ended. The Crankcase was the main culprit.
Old 13th June 2022, 19:23   #48

Manufacturer: Chevrolet
Model/trim: Aveo LT
Purchase Year: 2009
Duration of your warranty / extended warranty: Out of warranty
Fuel Type/Transmission/Gearing: Petrol 1.6 MT
Kilometres done: 28000
Your delightful experience or your breakdown sob story: Car used to run fine in its initial years of service however once the warranty period ended a number a problems started to occur:

1. AC would lose gas every year.
2. Clutch required replacement every few months (Our drivers were majorly responsible for this, one of them used to lend our car to students to learn on it as a side hustle and didn't tell us about it, we discovered this after a close friend of my dad saw our car with someone else behind the wheel. Us in general have had poor experiences with drivers that now we are reluctant to hire one on our new car now.)
3. Spark plug failed and the car refused to start
4. ABS sensor failure appeared somewhere around 2019. The replacement part needed to be imported and was incredibly expensive so we just left it as it is.
5. Fuel tank started leaking one day as I was being sent to school. This happened during the 1st year of ownership. Suspected cause of problem was a rock that hit the tank.

Overall the car was a money pit for us but it was our family's first car and we did have some special memories with it. And when we really needed the car during COVID because of an emergency, It didn't let us down and even started after a 6-8 month hiatus.
Old 19th June 2022, 11:40   #49
BHPian

Voted: None
Manufacturer: Tata
Model/trim: Nexon XZA+
Purchase Year: 2019
Duration of your warranty / extended warranty: 2 + 2
Fuel Type/Transmission/Gearing: 1.5 L Revotorq Diesel / AMT
Kilometres done: ~28000
Old 19th June 2022, 12:32   #50
BHPian

Manufacturer: Skoda
Model/trim: Rapid Elegance 1.6tdi
Purchase Year: 2015
Duration of your warranty / extended warranty: 2yrs / 4yrs
Fuel Type/Transmission/Gearing: Diesel / Manual / 5 Fwd, 1 Reverse
Kilometres done: 124964
Your delightful experience or your breakdown sob story: Voted for Option 2, allow me to elaborate.

1. Took delivery from Jamshedpur in Jharkhand and was driving to Dharamsala in Himachal where I was posted. Right on the 2nd day of delivery was unable to shift to 5th gear on Highway. This led to extreme frustration. Took the car to Arya Skoda in New Delhi. Arya Skoda removed a thin match like threaded piece from the gearbox and said it would work fine and it has till date.

2. Battery died in Sep 2017. Called Skoda service centre and was told that battery is not covered in extended warranty. Replaced OEM battery with Amaron and touchwood, it's working fine till date.

3. I was driving from Guwahati to Bareilly in 2019 and CEL along with glow plug indicator came up in the middle of rural Bihar with no sight of help around. How I managed thereafter is a different story.

4. It's however pertinent to mention that the car never came to a standstill. Ownership of Skoda car taught me a lot more practical aspect of engineering than what I could ever learn during 4 yrs in an engineering college.
cruising_rapid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 21:28   #51
BHPian

Manufacturer: Maruti Suzuki
Model/trim: Celerio VXi AMT
Purchase Year: 2014
Duration of your warranty / extended warranty: Standard Warranty
Fuel Type/Transmission/Gearing: 1.0 K10B AMT
Kilometres done: 14,000
Your delightful experience or your breakdown sob story:
The celerio we owned was the first lot celerio. It was a very dreadful experience.
1. AMT experience was horrible and the first clutch failed under 10,000 KM. Replaced under warranty.
2. Coolant hose ruptured and this lead to engine over heating. Thermostat was faulty as well. Coolant, hose, thermostat replaced.
3. Break cylinder failure. Replaced under warranty.

We believe we got a lemon as this was one of the first AMT's which Maruti Suzuki delivered. No one wanted to drive the celerio and we sold it this year with just 14,000KM on the odo.
Replaced the celerio with a Kushaq 1.5 and its been amazing so far.
Old 28th June 2022, 11:22   #52
BHPian

Manufacturer: Honda
Model/trim: Jazz V CVT 2015
Purchase Year: 2015
Duration of your warranty / extended warranty: 4 years
Fuel Type/Transmission/Gearing: Petrol CVT
Kilometers done: around 20,000 km only
Your delightful experience or your breakdown sob story: Absolutely nothing to write home about. Just a pure delight!

Manufacturer: Mahindra
Model/trim: Scorpio S10 AT
Purchase Year: 2016
Duration of your warranty / extended warranty: 4 years
Fuel Type/Transmission/Gearing: Diesel 2RWD AT
Kilometres done: around 60,000 km
Your delightful experience or your breakdown sob story: A solid car. I had only one issue when the car refused to move. A replacement of the control circuit did the trick. But, it took them a lot of time to diagnose and fix it.

On the whole, I feel that most cars I have seen lately are quite good. Finding a lemon is not impossible but definitely rare.

My earlier cars have all been reasonably confidence inspiring.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks