Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When compared to the waiting time estimate at booking, when did the actual delivery happen?
Before the committed delivery date 88 28.95%
Around the same time as committed 149 49.01%
Longer than committed 67 22.04%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 08:43   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
re: Compared to the waiting time estimate at booking, when did the actual delivery happen?

Voted Yes. It was delivered in the same week I was committed.
Mid 2014. Only two compact SUVs that were selling like hot cakes. Renault Duster and Ford Ecosport. I got lucky to get my Silver Ecosport delivered as committed despite the long wait period for many other aspiring owners.
I had to check the VIN twice in order to ascertain, because some of my friends were waiting more than 6 months and I got it delivered barely within a month of booking.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 09:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Compared to the waiting time estimate at booking, when did the actual delivery happen?

Ok, between the last 8 months, I purchased 2 new cars. A Tata Altroz in October 2021 and a Maruti Celerio in December 2021.

Both cars arrived before the promised dates. I have been a regular customer in both the dealerships. I also tend to be extremely clear and bold during the time of booking, about the date of delivery. Luck also favors, I must admit.

I got both the cars within 20 days of booking, when the estimated waiting time was 6 weeks for the altroz and 4 weeks for the Celerio.

I did have to put my weight around the Maruti dealership top management as I needed the car before Christmas as I was sentimental to take delivery with my niece and sister before that date. They were flying abroad on Christmas. That was the reason I decided to lose out on an additional year of depreciation (in future while selling) by taking delivery 7 days before the New Year.

I haven't had to wait much for the past car purchases too. My ciaz reached the dealer within a week of booking. Storme reached bang at the 4th week as they promised. Kwid was delivered in 3 weeks.

Only car that made me wait was the Safari Dicor, specially because the colour I wanted (Cyrus grey) was rare. I had booked Chevy Beat diesel and Tata Safari in the same week in 2012. Beat diesel reached by the 4th week mark while Safari took 6 weeks in total.

I believe buyers can work better with the sales teams. I mean I always ask them what models and variants they are expecting at the earliest, what variants are in transit in their next batch of cars, as well as the cars with same specs as my needs, which are available at other dealerships of the same brand in the neighboring districts. Also the details about which variant and colour are the fastest selling. I have found that the top most variant as well as white colour can be delivered faster than other colours and variants.

Almost all the time, the sales people are happy to share and it makes it easier to get what I want, a bit quicker.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th June 2022 at 06:37. Reason: Typo
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 09:15   #18
BHPian

We bought a car in September 2021 and it was delivered around the promised delivery date.

It was a Skoda Superb L&K, and we were told of a roughly three week waiting period for the Lava Blue colour. It was delivered after three weeks and a couple of days.
Old 26th June 2022, 09:18   #19
BHPian

Booked a Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT on 17th January 21. Was given a waiting period of 12 to 14 weeks.

Got delivery on the 13th April 21. Within the 12 weeks committed. Albeit came with a compromise of the black colour which I had booked and had to take the white colour.
Old 26th June 2022, 09:32   #20
BHPian

Well before promised date!

Booked Slavia on Apr 27 after 5 PM. I was informed that it will take 2-3 weeks. Grey & White were the colour choices in that order.

I got my loan pre-approved immediately and forwarded the info to the dealer very next day. Got a call from the dealer on 30th morning that white color car was available immediately as the loan didn’t get through for another person who it was allotted to.
Went to check the car immediately for the PDI, everything looked good. Made the rest of the payment.

Picked up the car on 2nd May!

I didn’t expect this quick delivery at all!
Old 26th June 2022, 10:01   #21
BHPian

For me it was before promised date.
I had booked Safari XMA in Pune for which wait time was 60 days. Booking was done on 19 April 2022 and car was available for PDI on 25 May at dealers yard. There was slight delay in BH registration so got delivery on 2 June, so still it was well within 60 days timeline.
Old 26th June 2022, 11:27   #22
BHPian

Voted for "Before the committed delivery date"...

We and my extended family members have booked and taken delivery of 4 cars in the last 18 months. And in each and every one of them we were taking the delivery much well in advance of what was initially committed to us. But there are some fine prints to them -

1. Said - 6 months, Actual - less than 3 months - Booked a Seltos GTX+ DCT Petrol back in March-April 2021 (sorry, I don't remember the exact dates). The mentioned delivery time was approx 5-6 months for white color and 8 months for any other color. Upon constantly calling up the dealership and asking them about any updates on the car delivery time every week they were finally able to arrange one for us in less than 3 months. The only thing was they wanted complete payment upfront without any financing. We obliged.

2. Said - 1 month, Actual - 1 week- Booked a Compass Model S Petrol in white in early Jan 2022. They were able to arrange one in white almost immediately. Probably a canceled booking was given to us.

3. Said - 2 months, Actual - 20-25 days- Booked a 2022 Vento Highline Tsi in mid Feb and was given a delivery estimate of 2 months (if they could get hold of one, as the car was in extremely short supply and 2 variants and 3 colors were already discontinued). But I requested them to make it possible on or before 21st March as it was my birthday on that day. Remember, this was the time when Vento/Polo (barring the LEGEND edition) was almost sold out for India and customers were at the mercy of only dealership inventory. VW dealership moved mountains for me and went ahead and reserved the last Manual Vento Highline that was slated for North East India. What also helped them is that I told them the color should be either white or carbon grey. They were able to procure a grey. Finally got the delivery in just 20-25 days on 7th March 2022.

4. Expected - One year, Actual - A MERE 18 DAYS - I don't consider this case to be fair, but nevertheless it's how it went. My relatives walked into the Mahindra showroom for XUV700. They were told 9-14 months on almost any variant. Relatives simply asked the dealership for any XUV700 in diesel manual (No specific variant, from MX to AX7 to AWD) and no color choice at all!!! The dealership, I don't know how on earth was able to deliver them one in just 18 days - XUV700 AX3 Diesel Manual in Deep Blue.

~NA.
na_agrawal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 11:38   #23
BHPian

Voted Longer than committed.

Booked XUV700 AX7LD on first day i.e. Oct 7 '21. There were absolutely no official delivery estimates for about 20 days. Dealership's unofficial timeline for day 1 delivery was 2 months max. Got the vehicle allotted and delivered in May '22, ~7 month waiting!

A few points relevant to the topic of component shortage:

1. Mahindra started delivering petrol variants a good 1 month prior to diesel deliveries. This was attributed to the additional components (likely for drive modes) required by diesel.

2. AWD deliveries were delayed even more. If I remember correctly the first AWDs started showing up only in Dec and were in very limited numbers.

3. AWDs were once again delayed and from customer feedback in the XUV700 thread, it seems no AWDs were manufactured in April/May '22. Again due to component shortage. Customers with promise dates of March have just started receiving allotments for their AWD models.

4. Mahindra is selling current XUVs without sequential turn indicators and without 2nd key. Again due to component shortage.

In closing, there is absolutely no case of artificial shortage here. The component shortage is for real and is in no way a marketing ploy; at least in case of Mahindra.

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 26th June 2022 at 11:42.
Old 26th June 2022, 11:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Car Model: Ford EcoSport 1.5L Ti-VCT MT Titanium
Booking Date: September 2013
Official Delivery Date: June/July 2014
Actual Date of Delivery: February 2014

The car was booked on 9th Sept 2013, delivery date communicated to us was 9 months, basically somewhere in June/July 2014. In between got several calls from the dealer, delivery timeline, changed to Sept/Oct 2014, stating your variant is very rare and production is very less, change the engine to the EcoBoost and delivery will be sooner. We didn’t budge from our original engine choice of the 1.5L Ti-VCT Titanium MT. In Feb 2014, the SA sprung a surprise, stating your car has arrived! I believe someone had canceled this particular colour-powertrain combination and we were next in line.

So net-net got the car before it’s official delivery date communicated, can call it luck though.

Car Model: Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT
Booking Date: January 2014
Official Delivery Date: February 2014
Actual Date of Delivery: February 2014

Car was booked in Jan 2014, delivery was scheduled for Feb 2014. Car arrived at the dealership on 7th Feb itself, took delivery on 14th Feb.

Reason being we were taking delivery of our EcoSport on 7th Feb, the Toyota dealership and Ford dealership were just diagonally opposite to each other! Toyota dealership’s GM and SA came to congratulate us on our EcoSport delivery.

Car Model: Hyundai Creta 1.6L P SX+ AT
Booking Date: June 2017
Official Delivery Date: August 2017
Actual Date of Delivery: August 2017

Had booked the Car from Modi Hyundai in June 2017. GST had just been introduced, the price had actually gotten cheaper compared to the older prices. And managed to get a discount of 25k on the ex-showroom by showing the GM of the dealership the price of the car on CarWale!! Got delivery in August 2017, as promised.

Car Model: BMW X3 30i Luxury Line
Booking Date: 1st August 2021
Official Delivery Date: End August 2021
Actual Date of Delivery: End August 2021

Had booked the car on 1st August 2021, the dealer had told us there is a single Blue X3 30i with the factory in stock along with 4 white ones, moved quickly and booked the Blue X3. Dealership was confident on delivering the car at the end of August and that was when we wanted it as well.

Along the way he kept updating, the status of the car, the VIN was shared promptly, car was loaded on a trailer and shipped to Mumbai from Chennai. The car landed in their stockyard by 24-25th August and we took delivery on 31st August.

This was sheer luck during the COVID period, considering the chief competitor of the X3, the GLC had a 5 month waiting period!!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 26th June 2022 at 11:50.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 12:15   #25
BHPian

Not voting as my last purchase was 9 years ago. But feeling the pinch now for my new car booking.

Booked the new Virtus 1.5 DSG last week and am being told that for the Red colour the waiting may go to 4-5 months. If we choose Blue or other less popular colors, it can be delivered in 1 month. The numbers show the colour preference and hence the wait period. E.g. Red Virtus DSG has almost double the booking at 48 (number for this delear that I booked at) compared to next favourite colore the Grey one.

Waiting time tends to increase for most favourite varient and colour so the poll results might not show this. I don't know if Manufacturers increase production of variants in demand to reduce the booking-to-delivery gap.

Last edited by vidyanand : 26th June 2022 at 12:16.
Old 26th June 2022, 12:40   #26
BHPian

In the last 18 months, I've reshuffled my own family's garage and was actively involved in my fiancee's car purchase. In a total of 3 purchases, we got lucky and deliveries were relatively fast.

Car Model: Hyundai Venue SX Turbo (1.0) MT
Booking Date: Mar 17th 2021
Official Delivery Date: Mar 20th 2021
Actual Date of Delivery: Mar 21st 2021

This was a purchase to replace my father's 130k run 2015 Suzuki Ciaz V. The car was the only 4-wheeler in the family with 3 users, which explains the high usage. We started exploring options and decided to go for a CSUV after 6 years of underbelly trauma in the Ciaz. Shortlisted the Venue and Sonet cousins in Turbo MT guise. Our preferred Venue dealer had one in stock in Typhoon Silver which my dad preferred. Immediately gave them a booking token and started the financing process. Within the week we had the car in our hands.
The car being in stock was pure luck, as the Sonet had 3 months waiting for our preferred color + variant combo. The Venue in a darker grey would have given us a 5-month waiting!

B]Car Model[/b]: Honda City ZX Petrol MT
Booking Date: Dec 10 2021
Official Delivery Date: Dec 30 2021
Actual Date of Delivery: Dec 24 2021

My fiancee was looking to replace the family's aging Maruti 800 2007. They live in a small town near Jammu and have a very low running, primarily just town to city and back. Given that my family lives in Chandigarh, the future looked like a lot of long drives. After exploring a bit, they zeroed down on the Honda City ZX for long-distance comfort and the frugal NA Engine. Given the low volumes the car is doing, it was an easy buy. As soon as we made the booking, the SA got one allotted and it was available for PDI in 10 days. Few more days to sort out finances and they got the delivery about 6 days earlier.

Coincidently, the last car was booked just the next day of getting to the City.

B]Car Model[/b]: MG ZS Astor Savvy(Sharp(O)) Turbo
Booking Date: Dec 25 2021
Official Delivery Date: March 15 2022
Actual Date of Delivery: Jan 24 2022

This was a heart-over-head purchase for me. Our family has always been a one-car family and I wanted to change that before I got married and my responsibilities increase. The slow death of ICEs was the last draw as I decided to properly own an ICE car before the Electrics/Hybrids take over.
The Booking process was super smooth and I knew of the long waiting times. Just to put some pressure on the SA, after about 15 days of booking the car, I made a call to him and asked if there was any scope of early delivery, which he promptly denied. This still worked in my favor, as after a week, I got a call from him and he said that he has a car allotted and awaiting dispatch from the factory, but the booking against it was canceled. I quickly lept at the car and he shared the VIN as soon as invoicing was done. I started the finance process but told the bank to hold on to the Final Delivery Order until I give a go-ahead. The car reached the stockyard on the 22nd and I did a PDI on Sunday, 23rd Jan. On 24th I gave the go-ahead to the bank for DO and after making balance payments, we took the delivery in the evening.

We have always purchased cars by giving money in the morning and taking delivery in the evening, or worst on the next day if the clearing takes time. This last few months, we took 3 cars, where the fastest was 1 week, and latest was 1 month. Relative to the overall market, we have been super lucky still. But in our own history, this was a crazy amount of wait
cbrspn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 13:08   #27
BHPian

Booked the Nexon EV max. Car was allotted much earlier(1 month) than the expected waiting period of 4 months.
Car arrived in the yard on June 9th.
RTO process was seriously delayed due to some delay in approvals from state transport authority.
Finally my SA called and said that car will be registered soon and promised a delivery date this weekend (26th June)
Yesterday got a call saying that all EV deliveries have been postponed, thanks to the famous NEXON EV fire accident!
Still awaiting for a delivery date for my first ever EV.
Old 26th June 2022, 13:19   #28
BHPian

I have never had to wait when I bought 3 cars in a period of 5 years. A big reason for this was I bought fast moving Maruti bread and butter cars at that time, except for Ignis (not a fast moving product I think), but which I got the next day after booking just before the lockdown in 2020. Alto 800, Alto K10 and Ignis - these come from the Maruti Manesar plant I think, and I live in Delhi. So stuff comes fast for these models since the plant is just a stone's throw away. A reason why i prefer to stick with Maruti is easy availability of spares and the plant being in a very close vicinity. In fact I ordered MGA alloys online and they came the next day. I'm going to stick with Maruti models for the foreseeable future and my sight is set on SCross new gen if it turns out VFM.
Old 26th June 2022, 13:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Going by what you say, for low sellers waiting times are pretty sane?

I brought a 1st generation i10 with a similar waiting time (mine was August 2010). At that time, Swifts were at an artificial 6 month and Wagon-R was 3 month waiting times. The reason we chose the i10 at that time.
Yes, apart from hot sellers, most others always have less waiting time. In 2011, i10 was not really a low seller but medium one around 10k pieces per month. I had a poor experience in my first car purchase with Maruti Wagon R during 2007 in Bangalore. I booked with year end discount but the dealer simply gave it to someone else for Rs. 1000 more and was offered Jan model without discount. I walked out but learnt my lesson. With i10, instead of token advance, I paid the minimum booking fee of Rs. 1 Lakh and next day VIN was allocated and did the PDI within 2 days. Rest cleared through cheque which took few more days to take delivery.

Also I don't buy with car loan/finance but with my savings. During actual purchases, upon first interaction itself, I will tell clearly my budget as well show the cash and will ask immediate delivery. I will also make clear which is the other car (next best alternative) I will proceed if they can't arrange one. I will get insurance quote before hand and my version of spreadsheet with breakup of total cost that I shall pay and will share it with the sales advisor. If it meets, deal is closed, if not drop and move on. Once the dealership is convinced that you are a serious buyer with ready cash, they will oblige.

During my Kushaq purchase, Magnite, Kiger were all readily available. All TATA cars were immediately available including Nexon. In Mahindra, apart from XUV700 and Diesel Thar, others are readily available. So like from Maruti during Swift times, Kia has perfected the art of waiting time to avoid discounting and push the shady practice of mandatory insurance purchase through them. I don't give my business to those types.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 13:27   #30
BHPian

Booked City ZX MT White on 23rd Dec 20 and got the delivery within a week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks