Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2004, 02:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Porsche hit India

Porsche has officially arrived in India . Cars are gonna be sold through Exclusive Motors Delhi thats he same guys who sell Bentleys. I guess maybe Upaj motors might sell them in Mumbai cause they handle Bentleys here.

So get ready guys ... Soon we'll have more Cayennes and Boxters not to mention the 911 Turbos running around the city. Personally I wanna see the Cayenne Turbo and hope for a chance to test drive it.

Cheers

Dippy
Old 28th February 2004, 04:55   #2
BHPian

Wow thats great news, would love to hear about their pricing....

But you Bombay-ites are so lucky,all of this seem to have happened over the last 10 years after I left bbay, before that Bbay use to have good cars, but back then delhi use to be the king, but now the way you guys potray it, delhi has been left behind to taste the dust in comparison..anyhow..hope delhi can catch up soon..
The exclusive motors guys is a close friend, my dad has been a good client, i know a little bit of his story, his father use to be a very very big dealer back in the days..and when he was 14 or something, he made his first deal selling one of the cars at a whooping profit of 5 lakhs or more and since then his dad, retired and gave the whole business to him, he has done good to his father's name and is doing even more..he is a nice guy to talk to..now i cant wait to come back to delhi and see what he has in store (to test drive ) i will for sure try the GT and now that porsche are here..might as well try those too

Cant wait..

_Crazi4Speed_
Old 28th February 2004, 11:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Crazi4speed

The pricing should be around 50 to 60 lakh rupees for the Cayenne, about 30 for the Boxter and the 911 Turbo ios supposedly coming for a cool 75 odd.. and hey dont forget to call us to Delhi when u get there we all wanna have a go at the Porsches and Bentleys...

Cheers
Old 29th February 2004, 23:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Crazi4speed,

Bombay has indeed left all the other Indian metros behind and has emerged as the preferred destination for exotic and super cars alike. Its the sheer taste of car lovers in this mega-city that has never failed to surprise me, after all its one thing to have the money to spend, and a totally another thing to know how to spend it. Among the cars that reek of sheer class - a modded Dodge Viper, a blue Mercedes 560 SEL, Corvette Stingray, Red Ferrari 288 GTO, white Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VI, a '64 Ford Mustang...the list can just go on and on!

Yes Porsche now arriving officially to India is actually a greater deal than meets the eye. Porsche is not coming to India because they expect the numbers to add to their global output...hardly!!! At best I think Porsche would hope to sell 10 - 20 cars ONLY per annum. Its more because now India is a brighter spot on the global business front than ever before. NO ONE can afford to ignore the potential of Asias second fastest growing economy. Everyone...yes everyone (I read somewhere about Ferrari and Maserati wanting presence in bombay and delhi) wants to be seen here. Future potential, business contacts, outsourcing manufactuing and engineering to India, servicing other asian countries from here....all of these car makers have big plans in store!

I expect the Boxster to do the best, after all how many people will be able to resist the lure of this German racing marque for the price of a Mercedes C-Class? Even the 911 and Cayenne are very well - priced if they can come in...eventually at these price points.

GTO
Old 1st March 2004, 03:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

a "Red Ferrari 288 GTO"

GTO??? where?? when?? who??? how??
dippy told me about a possible sighting of a black one......is this red one another one?!!??

tell me tell me!!!!!
Old 1st March 2004, 12:56   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Oops, sorry pal. I meant to write Red Ferrari 348. Somehow cant think of anything but the 288 these days

GTO
Old 1st March 2004, 13:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ok guy we forgot the mighty Diablo which was here for here. Of course saw it during our first meeting. Apart from that, we have the 355 and 360 Spider which go screaming round Mumbai on Saturday Night.

Add the SL55 and silver Carrera GT to that too

Cheers

Dippy
Old 1st March 2004, 22:52   #8
BHPian

Hmm, as for how many cars porsche would sell, I dont know about the figures GTO quoted..

20-30 sound too low..especially they are pricing the boxster for 30 lakhs, man thats comparitively cheap..guys would pounce on it...

My estimate would be close to 100-150 boxsters, 40-50 cayennes and may be lik 10-20 911s and if they manage to get a quota for the carrera GT then may be 3-5 of those... This I am presumming starting couple of months after porsche has entered and done some advertising..(a full year after that)

So my guesstimate would gave to be close to 200-250 for porsche which I think is pretty liberal..cuz the way things are going, it seems money is no bound for a lot of people ...

L8r
Old 2nd March 2004, 01:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ya CFS

I somewhat agree. The times have changed and there are so many people waiting to spend money. About the sale of indivdual models I guess the Cayenne would top the list since the Indian consumer is more SUV savvy. Of course the Boxter should follow second and then of course the 911 which might see about 15 nos. Carrera GT?? Yes they might get that too .. Rehaan are you listening?

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2004, 01:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

Dont worry guys...i booked mine long ago!
they are comming to india before its time for my 10,000miles service (ie 3days after i take delivery ;-]

cheers
Old 2nd March 2004, 07:25   #11
BHPian

Thats true dippy, SUV craze is pretty big so upgrade the cayenne's sale in accordance with your estimates, up another 75 so making the grand total almost equal to 300, cuz I still think boxsters will do very well, considering, I know tons of people in delhi who will easily spend the figure 30 since currently the sportiest thing they can spend on is the new E.

(ps:-so if tons of ppl in delhi, then imagine tons and tons of ppl in bbay i guess)

The new E from some angles can be considered sporty(atleast sportier than the last gen)...so..time will tell, but do you know when will they launch these in india, sometime next year or this year itself??

L8r
Old 2nd March 2004, 07:57   #12
BHPian

Cayenne in India ! Isn't that something ? I wonder if folks would really buy it. Don't know how many of you would agree, but isn't VW trying to do too many things at the same time ? I read somewhere that the Cayenne was one of the two big disappointments of last year.

A Porsche sharing a platform with a VW (Touareg) doesn't make too much sense to me. And not to mention the Audi A7 that is likely to get the same Chassis.
Nonetheless, the Cayenne is a stunner in the looks department.
Old 2nd March 2004, 10:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

The Cayenne saved Porsche this year, it made up for dclining sales of boxters and 911's. Never mind it's looks, see how it is engineered, it drives like a porsche apparently
Old 2nd March 2004, 12:09   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

hey isnt the cayenne priced between 50-90 lakhs?? 911 upwards of 75 Ls??
Old 2nd March 2004, 16:33   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Porsche selling 300 units in India per annum? I'll believe it when I see it. It took Mercedes almost a full decade to get where they are today, and thats with the almost universal brand awareness of the three pointed star and practicality (4 door saloons). Believe it or not, but beside the 4 metros and a handful of other cities/towns in India, no one would know the "P" of Porsche. However go to even some Nasik or Baroda and the number of Mercs will surprise you. Add to that the impracticality of a two door convertible or a 75 lac SUV (Dont be misled by 30 lac Boxsters or 50 lac Cayennes...After taxes and all the other duties, you are looking at almost 40 big ones for the Boxster and 70-75 for the Cayenne).

I do hope that German gentlemen in grey suits arent betting on 300 units per annum in India...else they'd better stay away.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks