Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 05:32   #16

Re: What to do with my pristine Audi A6 which is 10-years old in Delhi-NCR?

As many have pointed out, the car is only good for scrap inside the NCR. However, if you can manage to take it out of the metropolitan region, it can still be used by you outside the boundaries of the NCR until the expiry of the RC. If that use case is not feasible, the best course of action, in my opinion, would be to sell it to a reputed scrap agent and get a certificate saying that the car has been scrapped to protect yourself from any future liability.

I do fully agree with you that the rule does not make any sense, but it is what it is.
colcol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 07:40   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The big auto manufacturers or some big organized entity ought to work out a scheme as follows. Buy back these well maintained ten year old or 15 year old cars from the NCR and completely refurbish and re-export them to places where this rule doesnt apply. This could be within India or anywhere else perhaps in the developing world. This is what happens to used cars from the Middle East and Singapore and ANZ and all. The MENA cars all land in Africa. The Singapore and ANZ cars land in Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Fiji, Oceania (Nauru and Polynesia and Papua New Guinea) and Sri Lanka.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th July 2022 at 07:41. Reason: Add stuff
shankar.balan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 09:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I had to sell my impeccable 10 year old Fortuner which had done only 55k kms just because of this stupid rule. Luckily my car was registered in Uttarakhand and I was able to sell it. But I got a paltry 8L for a 100% genuine as good as can be car. What a shame!!

Luckily my Superb 1.8TSI MT is a petrol which has done just 35k kms in 10 years of flawless ownership and I will drive it to the world's end (pun intended) till 2027 when the 15 years will complete. As it is also UK registered, I hope I might even be able to extend the registration by 5+5 years, that's how well it has served me!

But the BOTTOMLINE is... It's a shame!

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 18:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsahgal View Post
Thank you all for the inputs.

This is seriously ridiculous. It does no good to the environment at all as it should be car specific. A road worthy test can be done every year. Most of us maintain our cars nicely. We are expected to buy a new car every 10 / 15 years.

Anyways. Thank you all.
https://theprint.in/india/governance...anuary/782729/

As per the above article you still have this option open with you and you can still try to sell your vehicle out of the state.

Quote:
In compliance with the National Green Tribunal’s directions, the Delhi government will deregister all diesel vehicles which will complete 10 years on January 1, 2022, and issue no objection certificate (NOC) so that they can be re-registered in other places.

However, no NOC will be issued for diesel vehicles, which have completed 15 years or more on the date of applying for it, according to an order issued earlier this week by the Delhi transport department.

Quote:
Insurance is valid till august. I plan not to renew it if I can’t use it or sell it.
Please confirm with your insurance company if your insurance is actually valid. As, if the government have deregistered your vehicle then the insurance is not valid.

This is what the insurance company will state at the time of an accident and the courts will honor their decision as well.

Quote:
Section 39 in The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988

39. Necessity for registration.—No person shall drive any motor vehicle and no owner of a motor vehicle shall cause or permit the vehicle to be driven in any public place or in any other place unless the vehicle is registered in accordance with this Chapter and the certificate of registration of the vehicle has not been suspended or cancelled and the vehicle carries a registration mark displayed in the prescribed manner: Provided that nothing in this section shall apply to a motor vehicle in possession of a dealer subject to such conditions as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
SnS_12 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
This is what the insurance company will state at the time of an accident and the courts will honour their decision as well.
Government has not deregistered my vehicle. Moreover, this is for Delhi. My car is Haryana registered and RC is still active and so is insurance.
varunsahgal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
My car is Haryana registered and RC is still active and so is insurance.
I was going to ask this question. Good that you mentioned it that your car is Haryana registered.
I believe you can sell your car anywhere in Haryana (outside NCR) and you won't need a NOC since the car is still in the same state. And, you can get a lot of buyers in Haryana itself.
rAijin_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
I was going to ask this question. Good that you mentioned it that your car is Haryana registered.
I believe you can sell your car anywhere in Haryana (outside NCR) and you won't need a NOC since the car is still in the same state. And, you can get a lot of buyers in Haryana itself.
I am in Faridabad which is part of NCR.
Old 26th July 2022, 22:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
Does it also means that you can drive locally in Faridabad, Gurgaon, Noida and not Delhi. Will it be legal to drive beyond 10+ years
Old 26th July 2022, 23:54   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster101 View Post
Dear Sir,

I transferred the RC to the name of my friend and the car is registered on a Punjab number under my friend's name.

Thanks.
Plying of petrol and diesel vehicles is allowed in Chandigarh for 15 years (in Punjab) and after that there is a renewal for 5 years basis fitness certificate and inspection of the vehicle.So, You did the right thing, even I sold my previous car in Chandigarh.
Old 27th July 2022, 00:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
Does it also means that you can drive locally in Faridabad, Gurgaon, Noida and not Delhi. Will it be legal to drive beyond 10+ years
No it will not be legal, Ngt rule is applicable in NCR which is faridabad , gurugram, noida, greater noida and beyond as per the ncr demarcations which extends upto mathura manesar palwal. Also in case of any unfortunate mishap even though the insurance on paper may be valid if the car meets with an accident or an fir is registered rest assured the owner will be in a dire predicament!
Old 27th July 2022, 01:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:

What can I do that this beautiful car doesn’t go waste? Please advise.
The same happened with two of my cars - A Skoda Laura 2012 TDI DSG and a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze AT. Both of these cars were immaculately maintained and amazing to drive. We had no plans of selling them for peanuts so we decided to get them transferred to another state. These Government rules don't make any sense but for enthusiasts like us, letting go of a nicely maintained car is nothing short of a heartbreak.

For Cruze, coincidentally when the RC expired, my sister moved to Mumbai. I got an NoC from the RTO in Delhi and got the car transferred to Mumbai. The life of the vehicle got extended by 5 years and even if i plan to sell it in Maharashtra now, the resale price would be decent and much better than what I was getting in Delhi.

For the Laura, we got it transferred to Uttrakhand using one of my contacts. We have to travel there atleast once every month and we use the car for local travel there. Infact, if I drive the car back to Delhi and exit within a day or two, the police won't bat an eye. But then, it all depends if you're having a bad day, you're in for a toss.

What I would recommend is getting an NOC from your RTO and getting it registered in any state outside Delhi. Eg. Chandigarh, Punjab, Uttrakhand have lower tax rates comparitively. Find a local agent who will help you with the NOC. Since your car is a 2010 make, the RC is still valid and the RTO has to issue you one. This way, you can take it out of Delhi NCR for outstation travels. It is a bit lengthy process but atleast you'll have a peace of mind.
Akshitsi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:41   #27

Quote:
What can I do that this beautiful car doesn’t go waste? Please advise.
Help it reach an enthusiast outside NCR who may worship it like you! I was in a similar situation recently with a beautiful and immaculately maintained 11 yr old Diesel DL car, and I feel your pain. The policy is ridiculous. Beware: a LOT of misinformation out there. Be prepared for low-ball offers from dealers/ buyers.

Summarizing a few thoughts for you:
  1. If you've crossed the 10 year mark, your car could be impounded in Delhi. Best to move it to an adjoining city in the NCR if possible. You will need a valid PUC to transfer the car, so basic mobility for such short/ test/ joy rides is also easier outside Delhi.

2. The car can be transferred to several cities outside Delhi (any city in Rajasthan, 33 districts in Eastern UP, 18 districts in Bihar, 26 corporations in Maharashtra, any place in WB except Kolkata, etc). Only then will Delhi RTO issue an NOC. The buyer should have an ID (like Aadhaar) from a "permitted" district. There is a Delhi Government notification which lists these cities/ districts.

3. Avoid dealers or buyers who do not want to immediately transfer RC to their name. For inter-state transfers, buyer has to to pay a road-tax (based on original invoice amount) to avoid paying which unscrupulous dealers/ buyers continue to drive the car in the seller's name. Potential legal nightmare!

4. Find a genuine buyer committed to a smooth & safe transfer process willing to make 2 visits to Delhi if needed or to stay in Delhi while the paperwork is done over a few days. Be willing to reduce the asking price to attract such buyers, if needed.

5. Paperwork:

(a) Finalise the deal, enter into an agreement. Accept some advance. Apply for NOC in Delhi (entirely online process). Need buyer's address proof (like Aadhaar) (from a permitted district). Upload the relevant forms (Form 28 with chassis imprint). An e-NOC may be issued in 3-10 days. If delayed, get buyer to visit the RTO.

(b) Get buyer to engage an agent (or make inquiries) at buyer's RTO. Whatever forms (like Form 29, 30, address change, etc) they need - sign them & accept remainder of the payment. Have the buyer visit the buyer's RTO to get the RC transferred to their name. In some RTOs, this process may be done without the car being present. If needed, have the car transported to that RTO area for inspection at the buyer's cost through a method (driving / truck) with which you feel comfortable - the car is still yours & is your responsibility! You may go along or depute someone. The logistics should be discussed upfront and agreed at the time of finalizing the deal.

(c) Get proof that buyer has deposited road tax in the buyer's RTO and applied for registration. Soon a new Reg No will be allotted to the buyer from their RTO. The buyer would be the legal owner. Transfer the insurance in the buyer's name & wish the buyer good memories!

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2022 at 11:51. Reason: "The seller should have an ID (like Aadhaar)" corrected to "buyer"
Machine_Mania is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I am in Faridabad which is part of NCR
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Below is my understanding:
  • Since your car is not registered in Delhi, we'll not discuss about that case.
  • Your car is registered in Faridabad, Haryana which fall in NCR. So, the 10+ rule is applicable on your car.
  • That means, you cannot drive or sell it in Delhi / NCR region.
  • NOC is required when you change the state. i.e. if you sell it to someone in Punjab, Rajastha, UP etc.
  • But, if you sell it in other parts of Haryana that do not fall in NCR region ( like Palwal, Rewari, Rohtak, Hissar, Ambala, Karnal etc. ), then you don't need NOC.
  • So, you can sell your car in other cities of Haryana that don't fall in NCR without any problem. And I'm sure there will be many takers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
No, you cannot drive it legally in Delhi NCR region. But, you can drive it legally in other cities and states where this rule is not applicable. Like weekend trips to Rajasthan, Himachal, Uttarakhand etc. But you have to make sure that you don't go via the Delhi or NCR region.

Last edited by rAijin_ : 27th July 2022 at 11:25.
rAijin_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

What a shame you are facing this predicament Varun. Really pathetic scenario for no fault of us car owners living in NCR.

I stay in Faridabad too. Last year I had to sell my pristine condition Honda City diesel due to this stupid rule. It had just completed 7 years and I thought selling it later will be very tough and we won't even get a decent amount. Made the decision to sell within a day. In hindsight it was a brilliant decision though my heart still aches when I think about it

My advice to everyone in NCR. Sell your diesel car once it reaches 7th year. Later on you won't get a decent price and even have trouble selling it out. Or, if your running is low, buy petrol or better just go electric. Atleast till this rule is squashed we don't have any options but to abide by it.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 12:21   #30
BHPian

I'm not from Delhi, so I'm not intimately familiar with the situation, though I'm aware that cars (just diesels?) more than 10 years old should stay off the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Also, the RC can’t be transferred as it is not valid anymore so the car will always be under your name as it’s your liability regardless who drives it.
PS, don’t even take it out on the road.
Whoa. You can't even sell?!

After 10 year mark, aren't people even allowed to sell the car to a place where this rule isn't applicable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
DO NOT SELL YOUR EXPIRED CAR TO ANYONE UNLESS THERE’s SOME WAY YOU CAN TRANSFER THE RC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster101 View Post
A note to all: Once you sell your car, please make sure it is registered under the name of its new owner immediately as any mishap would be blamed directly on you.
I'm confused. Don't people normally get the RC transferred to the new owner anyway? Or is that also outlawed?

While reading these comments I get the impression that RC transfers don't happen, which I find hard to believe.

I mean, how do car sales happen there? Do people just take the money, hand over the keys, and go their own ways without doing the paperwork?

I don't know if the NGT rule already specifies this, but there really needs to be some SOP on what to do with cars greater than 10 years old, if they insist on this rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks