Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: TATA's Rs 1 lakh Car: Yes or No
It will be a new revolution and will change the way we look at small cars and their usefulness. 239 64.42%
It would create chaos and we already have enough cars and we need alternate pblic transportation 74 19.95%
Its too early to predict anything 86 23.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 03:03   #46
BHPian

It is very much viable, jsut not desirable to some.
Old 21st July 2007, 22:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

IMO this car will contribute more in semi urban or rural market ,smaller towns and cities like indore, tumkur etc where public transport is not up to the mark and lower middle class cannot use two wheelers everywhere as it is not safe for a family of four(assuming two small chidren)
Old 21st July 2007, 22:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

AS far as chaos is concerned if it manages to remove a few two wheelers of the street the road might get more organised traffic even though it would create jams.driving on road two wheelers around is more inconvinient.if we think about people with two wheelers then for long term , a better public transport in the only solution ,this car will only create waves in smaal cities,in big cities ,i have seen people who can afford a santro still prefer public transport
besides cars also have their respective segments they belong to,maruti 800 will be always considered superior to the one lakh car hence anybody who can afford an 800 would opt for it.just like one prefers santro over 800
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

IMHO this car will be revolutionary. It will change the way we look at cars and will open a new market segment. Now two wheeler owners will become car owners. That should feel good. Tata is a reputed company and by the way they have grown in the years they would be trend setting. Now if the Rover Jag take over comes in ( I hope it does) you can expect it to rub off on the 1 lakh car as well... keep the fingers crossed mates!! Viva Tata!1
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:52   #50
BHPian

i think its too early too predict the response this car will get from the market .......the response can only be seen once the car has been launched ...the actual price ,,the spares cost,***, and of course overall vfm
Old 12th January 2008, 07:50   #51
BHPian

the car has been officially unveiled

Since the car has been officially been unveiled , wondering what the people think..
Old 12th January 2008, 08:17   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Since the car has been officially been unveiled , wondering what the people think..
Was expecting something like an Auto on 4 wheels.

But TATA made my jaws drop. With pride in heart, i'd give a thumps up for this product. (If diesel comes this year, might get one too. )

TATA NANO-
Old 12th January 2008, 08:18   #53
BHPian

double thumbs up from my side.
Hope that TATA starts working on how they will service these cars, Probably they should start new franchises to cater to tata 1 lac cars only.
Old 12th January 2008, 08:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

I am all for the cheap & affordable car, but cannot bear to think what our roads would become especially the parking spaces. as of now, there is not enough parking spaces, what would happen when these cars flood the streets ?
Old 12th January 2008, 08:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am all for the cheap & affordable car, but cannot bear to think what our roads would become especially the parking spaces. as of now, there is not enough parking spaces, what would happen when these cars flood the streets ?
History tells that Indian government have never done anything unless the problem have creeped in. They never plan in advance and thats what will happen this time. Once they start seeing the problem, they will plan and do something about it.
Old 12th January 2008, 08:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
History tells that Indian government have never done anything unless the problem have creeped in. They never plan in advance and thats what will happen this time. Once they start seeing the problem, they will plan and do something about it.

you are right about that, but you should have said that they will see it only when the city comes to a halt. The problem is already very much there, it is time they started implementing the rules which are already in place.
Old 12th January 2008, 08:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nano will certainly affect the two wheeler industry and i feel many people will switch from 2 wheelers to Nano which will be more safer @least better than two wheelers.

The dowside is clogged up roads and parking places and i think other cars will be surrounded by these Nanos all over on the roads
Old 12th January 2008, 09:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
i think other cars will be surrounded by these Nanos all over on the roads
Should be like the old days when the roads were swarmed with ambys & padminis with a little bit of M-800 thrown in.
Old 12th January 2008, 09:22   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

The car itself is not the root cause of the problems we have today. The car, by itself, is a marvel, and I salute Ratan Tata for this. Over the years, he has driven Tata to change & define the shape of Indian motoring - the Indica, the Ace, and now the Nano.

Tata has shown that it is possible to make a car at price tag that is lower than what we have been led to believe all along. And Tata will definitely be able to sell it in other emerging markets too. At the end of the day, success is in being able to give what will be accepted & embraced. A Merc or a RR, or a Bentley, with all it's sophistication, will fail if it is not accepted. A simple Nano can successful, even if it has just 2% of what these cars offer.
Quote:
tsk1979 : The biggest hit will be on the Second hand market(M800).
Yes. The second M800 market will get hit. Even more so because you can now get a brand new, 4 seater, 625cc/34bhp, 20-22 kpl car instead of a used, 4 seater, 796cc/37bhp, 17-18 kpl car. Between a used & a new car for about the same price, I would definitely go for the new one.

Let us not mix up markets. A person driving a 2 wheeler, will stick to that. He is typically the one who wants a VFM/ in-expensive to own & use 2 wheeler, and will not replace that for a car, even if it was available for cheap. Today if want to use a P-220, I will go for that, and not a Nano or a 800. The requirements are different, and so are the solutions. Where the Nano is going to make an impact is the border-line areas where a person wanted a car, but so far could not afford one because he could not afford the M-800. For those who could afford a used M-800, they now have a choice in the Nano. And so also for those who have wanted another car, but didnt want to spend much on it.
Quote:
hitanshu : Immobility for the masses. Everyone and their chacha gets one, and clogs the roads.
Mayavi 1. I don't think we have too many cars in India.
Exactly. We dont have too many cars in India. We just too much of everyone and too many of their chacha's.
Quote:
paharino1 : Well US population may be a third of India..but their landmass is 3 times the size of India
So, isn't the problem actually about landmass & population. We should actually be looking at reducing the population to a level that the landmass we have can sustain & support the population, rather than cribbing about congestion, pollution, and what not. Today what we are doing today to fit the resources to the population rather than having a population that can fit the (natural) resources.
Quote:
Zappo : * Autos are loaded and then overloaded. If you see those share-autos they load at least 5 passengers and many a times even 6, besides the hanging driver.
The market for share auto's and regular auto's is different. Even on the same stretch, a person using a regular auto would normally not prefer a share auto & vice-versa.
Quote:
Zappo : * Autos are relatively zero maintenance when compared to any car.
Not really - the drivers & owners just flog them till way beyond break-down point. That's half the reason why auto's contribute so much (much more than they should) to polluting the cities - smoke, sound, sense-less driving.
Quote:
Zappo :
* Autos are classified separately from taxis.
1. Taxi unions will revolt.
2. Because of the fixed quota for each type it may not be possible to grant so many taxi licenses in a city.
Valid points.

Last edited by condor : 12th January 2008 at 09:41.
Old 12th January 2008, 09:25   #60
BHPian

I am curious to see how the Tatas plan the following.

1) Bookings as i heard Mr ratan Tata say that there would be some sort of an allotment process. I feel it is very much required as there would be a mad rush for the nanos.

2) The distribution network. I think it has not yet been finalised and the Tatas have to plan it in such a way that tier 2 cities are catered to as much as the tier 1. The villages, it requires a little bit of planning as lot of factors kick in.

3) Servicing and spares. I am sure the vendors who have been associated with the project will make decent profits only if they sell in huge numbers which am sure will. The spare parts pricing will also play a crucial role in the future. The servicing part, whether the tata service centres themselves will take care or whether it will be a new way of handling remains to be seen. I guess there will be a different approach than the usual.

4) Cost of the car: I feel that the base car itself will be priced more by 20 to 40 K( dealer) after the initial period and would still translate to a fantastic value for money proposition.

5) Future: Am sure the variometric and the diesel power plants will follow later. The Car may have been designed taking into account alternative fuels in mind. The coming years would tell for sure.

I fail to understand how an Auto rickshaw costs abt 1.4 Lakh with very much less to offer in terms of technology and quality parts. I must admit the Auto maintanance is similar to a 2 wheeler.

It took a strong willed person, passionate and a dedicated set of people to give us the Nano which we can/are be proud of.

I respect the man for making this possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks