Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2022, 14:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW on Taigun AC issues | Fake Twitter accounts suspected

It may be that the company outsources the digital marketing and only measures a few numerical results like positive sentiment % etc. They may provide the agency with some topics - e.g. AC issues have been addressed, etc. and provide information to the agency on the customers, especially those who have had the car recently serviced. Instead of contacting these customers to try and get them to post good reviews, the agency may have used fake accounts as a short-cut to achieving the same results. I don't think VW would have directly engaged in activities like this, as it would be viewed very adversely from a code of ethics standpoint. However, I agree you cannot allow unethical things to be done by your suppliers, the company is ultimately accountable.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 15:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It may be that the company outsources the digital marketing...and the agency may have used fake accounts as a short-cut to achieving the same results.

I don't think VW would have directly engaged in activities like this, as it would be viewed very adversely from a code of ethics standpoint.

However, I agree you cannot allow unethical things to be done by your suppliers, the company is ultimately accountable.
Just wondering: wouldn't huge corporations like VW have teams to micro-manage their outsourced tasks like digital marketing? I'm sure the agencies who take upon such contracts (especially marketing) would in return have to sign up for following ethical practices laid down by the company - which almost all European, UK and US companies have since the laws in their countries demand that they put such points down in paper.

So, would a marketing agency take risks like shortcuts and jeopardise their future prospects with huge clients like VW? Seems a little unlikely when we look at it from that perspective.

But then, one can never tell these days. If it's actual mischief done by this agency and VW does not approve of such tactics, then let me use Russell Peters' famous line here:

Name:  russellpetersstandupcomedy.gif
Views: 597
Size:  1.26 MB

Hoo boy! That agency is going to surely be the fall guy in a split second if this thing ever gets more attention from our public - especially through some online auto-magazines who frequently search for sensational news to further their view counts.

Last edited by rideon74 : 10th September 2022 at 15:20. Reason: Typos
Old 10th September 2022, 15:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I don't think VW would have directly engaged in activities like this, as it would be viewed very adversely from a code of ethics standpoint. However, I agree you cannot allow unethical things to be done by your suppliers, the company is ultimately accountable.
It's the same company which knowingly engaged in diesel gate scandal in the not so distant past.

IMHO, even if the task was outsourced, the very underlying intention is unethical!
ToThePoint is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 15:27   #19
BHPian

Have seen such tactics being used by even Institute of Chartered Accountants of India on Youtube video which had comments praising the president of ICAI at that time and when i checked the users account, the accounts were just 1 or 2 days old.
Old 10th September 2022, 15:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
It's too early to comment whether it was VW who paid digital marketing orgs to do so or was it done by someone just to create a good image of VW India in front of the Indians.
Well, if you remember the Emission Scandal, then it is not early to comment, I am sure that IT is VW. 2.0 strategy is officially a lost opportunity.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th September 2022 at 15:53. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Broken quote tags.
Old 10th September 2022, 16:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklisted View Post
Well, if you remember the Emission Scandal, then it is not early to comment, I am sure that IT is VW. 2.0 strategy is officially a lost opportunity.
Emission Scandal and this both are completely different things. One took place on a global level with high amount of fines and one is at a regional level, which I think won't cost them any fines as such.
VW is already paying huge debts for the emission scandal, that's why you can see so much cost cutting done in the newer Audis and VWs. They won't commit another blunder like that ever again
Let's wait for an official reply. But considering the fact they did reply to some of the tweets from those fake accounts, it does seem suspicious that VW was involved in this malpractice.

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 10th September 2022 at 16:46.
Old 10th September 2022, 16:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
Emission Scandal and this both are completely different things. One took place on a global level with high amount of fines and one is at a regional level, which I think won't cost them any fines as such.
For me, they are the same thing. It is the ethics which matters.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th September 2022 at 19:59. Reason: Broken quote tags
Blacklisted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 20:16   #23
BHPian

It seems VW group has realised this is a hardware issue and will cost too much to replace in all existing cars. Had this been a software issue, it would have been resolved by now.

See the attached latest response from Zac on AC issue. Group has started shrugging off the responsibility now.
Attached Thumbnails
VW on Taigun AC issues | Fake Twitter accounts suspected-screenshot_20220901004558.jpg  

KuvamBansal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:36   #24

Stupidity on the next level!

Trying to manage product experience with a (Fake!) Twitter perception campaign. And that too (it seems) not backed by an actual software fix (even if that works)
Old 10th September 2022, 22:09   #25
BHPian

I think we all should start writing a detailed email to VW’s official communication channels that new age consumers are well aware of these cheap tactics so they should better focus on improving the quality and listening to the concerns of their customers. My guess is that the CEO level management at VW needs a change and consumers should collectively raise a voice for change in leadership. That would be true democracy where we don’t just raise our voice for changing those in the govt but also against those who try to defraud us, outsmart us through their monetary resources and resort to cheap and unethical tactics to misguide commoners. Corporate fraudsters must be brought to justice through collective efforts because individuals may not be able to fight the giants in courts and tribunals. One may say do not buy their products but what about those who already bought them or are victims of their fraudulent practices. We do have the social responsibility towards our fellows.
neochanger is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 00:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post

With this Twitter strategy, it is appalling is how far VW seems to be ready to go with their denial strategy.
That's a nice piece of investigative work that you have done. very much appreciated.

VW doesn't seem to comprehend the after effects of a scam. Have they forgotten what happened in dieselgate? Spreading such miss information is one of the last thing that one would expect from a company like VW but time and again they have proved us wrong.

If we take a look at statistics, most of VW dealers are in tier 1 and 2 cities. It is safe to assume that most of the sales is concentrated on the so called tech savy urban folk who religiously believe and follow such campaign in twitter. Hence such marketing gimmicks IMO.

It is once again time to show the power of TBHP. I would tweet the link of this thread and ask VW for an explanation. I would also ask which is the ECM version that has solved the AC issue and what were the content of this SW change release.

OT: This thread also showcases why Elon was reluctant to buy twitter
vivekkp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 06:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

I’m now convinced of the reasons Elon Musk in not going ahead with the twitter deal.

On a serious note, this is so sick. How could someone in VW risk team even approve of such things that has a direct dent on their reputation and credibility? Or, is their risk function so bad and non-existent?
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 07:39   #28
BHPian

As a Kushaq owner I am dejected on two counts-

1. Even after the huge gaffe of Dieselgate, VW group is still trying to manipulate market perceptions.

2. The Taigun/Kushaq AC issue is not going away easily. If they could solve it, they would not have resorted to this.
CoolFire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:25   #29
BANNED

It's such a shame that VW being the behemoth they are globally have to resort to such paltry tactics to fend off an issue like this. It doesn't inspire confidence and with word spreading about their underhanded tactics, more people will be skeptical about getting a VW.
I for one initially had the Taigun/Kushaq in mind for my new car purchase, but their handling of the AC issue has made me look elsewhere. To add to that, the quality levels are nowhere near those of the now discontinued Polo and Vento/Rapid.
Old 11th September 2022, 12:06   #30
BHPian

VW on Taigun AC issues | Fake Twitter accounts suspected-61e861fe36634515bf48a7369d30e5ed.jpeg

Let’s push VW to come out with their official stand on this issue. VW should clear the air by telling us all whether there is indeed a software update and this social media campaign is to promote that very thing.

If they choose to remain silent or ambiguous, then it would certainly mean something fishy.

Last edited by neochanger : 11th September 2022 at 12:08. Reason: Typo
neochanger is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks