Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What’s your strong hybrid (Hyryder / Grand Vitara) intent after the product and price reveal ?
Retaining my pre-booking 24 19.83%
Dropping my pre-booking 16 13.22%
Booked or planning to book after reveal 24 19.83%
Dropp(ed/ing) my plan in favour of another vehicle 57 47.11%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 13:31   #31
BHPian

Re: What's your Strong Hybrid (Maruti Grand Vitara / Toyota Hyryder) purchase intent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am not buying a car now, but had bought one in Feb. I voted for dropped my plan of hybrid in favor of other vehicle.

I would rather get a Seltos/ Creta Diesel ATs than these strong hybrids.
I am in same dilemma of "Diesel Creta AT vs strong hybrids of Maruti/Toyota".

Did you consider DPF related issues which are coming up in 1.5 L diesel engines ?
Old 28th September 2022, 14:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's your Strong Hybrid (Maruti Grand Vitara / Toyota Hyryder) purchase intent?

Though I had not pre-booked, was seriously giving a thought of replacing my two cars with a single hybrid option. However the greedy pricing by Maruti/Toyota meant that they are either expecting people to pay a premium OR some govt subsidy for this.

I also lost interest due to below factors

1. mediocre performance
2. Rear seat not very spacious for 3 (though it is same for Creta/Seltos too)
3. Price premium not justified (City seems to be offering ADAS and better performance)
4. Boot space - While not a deal breaker, It indicates this platform was never designed for hybrid
5. AWD - Allgrip + AT or hybrid could have been a better combination for someone looking for urban and occasional fun
Old 28th September 2022, 14:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
1. The benefits of owning a higher GC vehicle (as compared to City eHEV)

I'd buy the City eHEV and just upgrade the tyres for GC.
I agree the only charm I see is GC.

Will upgrading tyres really give that GC? I doubt... It will still be a nice road car IMHO.
Old 28th September 2022, 15:21   #34
BHPian

I need to pass on my 2020 CVT Glanza to an office employee( whose 11 year Etios I'll be selling) and going to book the mid variant Full hybrid Hyryder in Blue. Car is going to be used by wife who travels 4 kms daily to work. 2 kms take her 45 minutes due to really bad traffic. No need for Boot space nor is there any need for a more spacious back row.
City hybrid is not considered since I already have a 2017 City.The BRV is when 6 of us travel together. Hence the Hyryder for newness!
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
Did you consider DPF related issues which are coming up in 1.5 L diesel engines ?
I considered those. I believe these aren't as bad in Creta/Seltos as something in Ecosport Diesel.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 16:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

There is some serious lack of commitment regarding fuel efficiency from all car makers. Why invent this unnecessary complexity of having both electric motors and a ic engine drive the wheels? Why not go with the locomotive concept of only the electric motors driving the wheels all the time and the ic engine powering a generator which provides electricity? This decoupling of the ic engine from the transmission and wheels will eliminate parasitic drag and increase efficiency. Infact a low powered, constant speed , high torque ic engine can drive a generator in the most efficient manner and leave the driving part to the electric motors in the wheels. The elimination of heavy battery packs will again save costs and fuel.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 16:57   #37
BHPian

Has been using a Lexus CT200h hybrid here in UK for the past 6 months. It has the same drivetrain as the Toyota Prius. (1.8L 4 cyl Atkinson engine producing 98 bhp and 82 bph electric motor, 136 bhp combined, with a tiny battery pack good enough for around 3-4km on electric mode alone). More or less the drivetrain technology looks similar to what is being offered in the Hyryder. Believe the hybrid battery is to be larger, offering a higher range. From my experience in driving the car for more than 4000 miles in city, A Roads and Motorways here in UK, the below points may help people looking to buy the Hyryder:

1. Mileage : Believe what Toyota is saying, I have been getting more than 25kpml on motorway drives (Cruise at 70 mph or around 120 kmph). Inside City, and in slow traffic usually this varies from 15-20 kmpl.
2. The hybrid system works seamlessly, you wont know when the engine starts up and when the engine shuts down. Switching between electric - Engine modes happens very smoothly. Starting off from standstill on the motor alone is a different experience. Overall, the power delivery is really smooth.
3. The car is no fun to drive in any way, Its is a form of CVT. The electric motor usually starts the car from a standstill unless you floor the A pedal, and engine kicks in once you are around 20mph. Combined power is used when hard acceleration is needed. Acceleration is s-l-o-w in UK standards. Anyway, you never get a connected feel to the engine like a normal automatic car. The transmission has a mind of its own, sometimes it struggles on even gentle climbs, and kind of keeps revving up the engine for no reason. The diff drive modes really do help.
4. High NVH : The engine is an Atkinson cycle engine, so sounds harsh even while idling, and much worse in higher RPMS, lots of noise and vibrations, broken engine mounts are a common issue. The plus side is extremely low emissions, its so low that the car is exempt from Road Tax here in UK, CO2 emissions are under 100g /km
5. Engine braking or the absence of it : My car has a separate gear or drive mode to have engine braking. Use it to get moderate levels of engine braking, other than that there are no controls.
6. This could be nitpicking, but my car has no control for the regen, it is controlled by the car depending upon how you use the brake, or the speed of the car. Braking is a strange experience, once you start braking gently, the car just increases regen level on its own to reduce speed, the actual brakes are not applied during this. But if you the press the brake pedal a bit more, the regen cuts out n actual brakes are applied, keen drivers will notice the sudden change in braking feel.
7. Reliability of the system; Lexus / Toyota provides a 10 year warranty on the car and 15 year warranty on the Hybrid system (motor + battery) provided you service the car regularly at dealership. This should say a lot about the confidence Toyota has on the system.
ps_abhijith is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 17:27   #38
BHPian

I drove a Toyota Corolla hybrid back and forth across the US this past July from West to East coast and back again. Fuel efficiency for the whole journey of ~13000 km was 21.3 kmpl. Colour me impressed - the little Corolla performed impeccably, and was surprisingly fun to drive. I would seriously consider a strong hybrid if I decide to buy a new car in the next couple of years.
Old 28th September 2022, 17:58   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Why invent this unnecessary complexity of having both electric motors and a ic engine drive the wheels? Why not go with the locomotive concept of only the electric motors driving the wheels all the time and the ic engine powering a generator which provides electricity?
Absolutely true, had this thought running for quite some time. From what I understand, to make a product, that brings back the customer more often (without them realizing) is the key of making money these days. So more the moving parts in the product, more wear & tear and resulting in more frequent visits to the service centre. Back in the 90s Toyota had a very superb model "Corona" that sat between the Corolla and Cressida (previous generation of the Camrys/Innovas) which they discontinued and the reason I heard was (maybe wrong but makes logical sense to me) that for over 2 years there was no sale for its parts (or it was too minimal). Probably, that could have been the same strategy that Nokia in those days implemented in their products, not to have "all" features in any of their phones, which will make customers crave, "wish this feature was on that phone" and vice-versa.
Old 28th September 2022, 18:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Why not go with the locomotive concept of only the electric motors driving the wheels all the time and the ic engine powering a generator which provides electricity?
To the best of my understanding Nissan e-power is doing it,the ic engine is only connected to generator and the electric motor is moving the vehicle at all times
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 18:43   #41
BHPian

This thread is fun. I pre-booked Strong Hybrid V and will retain the same.

I came to know about this vehicle in March 2022 as D22 from a service advisor at Toyota(long story). My requirement is petrol(low running), reliable automatic, moderate GC and safety and good service network/spare parts availability.

Korean Twins (Creta/Seltos) -
Pros - Extremely refined engine, Good fit and finish, good service network
Cons - Looks are subjective (I didn't like Creta looks and loved the old version), marginal safety ratings from a 20L car, DCT reliability is questionable and IVT lag (no one talks about)

German Twins (Kushak/Taigun) -
Pros - Beautiful looking car, Awesome engine (1.5 TSI), safer than its peers (4 star)
Cons - High maintenance, infamous DSG, AC trips automatically and they are still not able to find a fix till date (deal breaker)

Nissan Kicks and Renault Duster(RIP) - Perfect car but underrated
Pros - Gem of an engine (1.3L turbo), Drivability and Handling, Value for money
Cons - Xtronic automatic transmission sourced from JATCO [this transmission will make DSG reliability look way better], Service Network and spare parts availability

MG Astor -
Pros - ADDAS, Looks, Six speed automatic TC sourced from ASIN
Cons - Low GC, Company future expansion plan and market presence is questionable, service network

Japanese Twins (Hyryder/GV) -
Pros - Toyota M15D-FXE engine is tiny but reliable, eCVT transmission is best in class, GC, Hybrid tech is very efficient if it can stand test of time, Good service network, Moderate maintenance cost, hopefully safety
Cons - Jack of all trades but master of none, Fit and finish in comparison to peers, Pricing (which cannot be helped due to hybrid tech).

Last edited by OpenRoads : 28th September 2022 at 19:06.
Old 28th September 2022, 19:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Despite being around for a long time hybrid's have not taken off, they are not justifiable financially or environmentally and they lose the simplicity/low maintenance advantage of EVs.
For US, the government incentivized it back in the 2000s. That's how the polar looking Prius got lapped up, and later made way for lot more better looking hybrid Toyotas and Hondas.

In India strong hybrids were classified under 43 percent tax bracket overnight sometime in 2018, which made the Camry a 40 lakh rupee car from 30 lakh rupee car.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 20:36   #43
mxx
BHPian

I wont buy Maruti Grand Vitara / Toyota Hyryder because it does not have any USP except fuel efficiency.
This will be a sales hit for sure. After all like every Maruti this is a decent but average car with good fuel efficiency. And for the brand conscious, there is a Toyota version.

Quote:
There is some serious lack of commitment regarding fuel efficiency from all car makers. Why invent this unnecessary complexity of having both electric motors and a ic engine drive the wheels?
This is (almost) how City HeC work. There is no transmission. The engine charges the battery which powers a motor. Only exception is a lockable clutch for high speeds.

Last edited by mxx : 28th September 2022 at 20:42.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 23:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
it'll take you 4 years to just to recover the cost difference vs mild hybrid.
If you see earlier part of my post, I am comparing Creta SXO IVT and Hyryder strong hybrid V, reason being they are comparable with respect to engine output, transmission and most importantly features. Mild hybrid Hyryder misses out on many features compared to strong hybrid.

As per feedback from various users on this forum, I had assumed Creta IVTs fuel efficiency at 11-12 in City traffic. Hyryder strong hybrid FE is assumed at 21 to 22 in City traffic. This gives savings of 4 rs per km at current fuel prices . For annual running of 12k, breakeven is at 4 years.

Increase in fuel prices, or assumption of better FE for hyryder (i drive almost exclusively in City traffic) may bring the break even period down to 3 years.

Last edited by baarish84 : 28th September 2022 at 23:29.
Old 29th September 2022, 00:01   #45
BHPian

"The car delivers 25kmpl in the city" vs. "the car runs out of breath at 120kmph". I for one don't take kindly to the 2nd statement. I'll rather run around on a 400cc motorcycle to extract 25kmpl in the city while having a ton of fun than drive a lifeless car on a highway after breaking my bank to buy it. Sorry but not sorry. On highways, comfort trumps mileage and in the city no big car can make up for a pocket happy motorcycle ride.

By the way, you can get a 300cc ninja with the 4l differential or an R1 or 2 Dominars

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 29th September 2022 at 00:05.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks