Team-BHP - Is Optra a no no
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Is Optra a no no (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2579-optra-no-no.html)

Hello guys,

This is a subject I have been contemplating to put up for quite sometime -
The least discussed B segment car – Chevrolet Optra.
The reasons why I am starting this topic:
1. I have just got one a month-and-a-half back.
2. What is so negative (if there’s any) about the car
There is a huge group of people in TBHP who swear by VTEC essentially for its performance. There are people who discuss Toyota Corolla and Skoda Octavia.
I do understand their points but what I don’t understand is what’s going wrong for Optra.

Let me put down the pros for Optra
1. Extremely comfortable to drive
2. Fabulous interior with a good layout
3. Excellent leather upholstery
4. Excellent NVH control. Best in this segment
5. Brilliant handling
6. Great look

Now the cons
1. Not the greatest in terms of mileage despite changing the gear ratio few months back
2. Headlamp bulbs power not adequate especially on the highway
3. Should have come with 205 footwear, (what I saw in Singapore)
4. No disc brake for the rear wheel. I believe they have started giving all wheel disc brakes very recently. I have asked my dealer to do the same for my car.
5. It’s a Daewoo
6. Decent Blaupunkt 5 CD changer system with crappy speakers

My car has done only 1250KM. So in terms of performance I don’t know what would be the difference when the engine opens up. But when it was only 800Km in the ODO, the car did 160KPH in over drive. Holden 1.8 engine, I agree is nothing to talk about. But given the Indian automobile scenario I don’t think it’s less efficient. Again I’m not comparing this engine with VTEC and such. But as a complete package Optra has a lot to talk about. Anybody before making any comments should drive an Optra.

Now guys, come on. I am ready for rapid fire.
Shoot.

Sorry guys. Read D segment. Sorry.

Rudra,

You are spot on. As a package, the Optra does offer a lot and dont the great sales figures reflect this? Its plush looking, has great interiors, a decent engine and good ride quality. Plus, its also priced just right and now has the fully commited GM backing it up.

But not too many car guys prefer to lust after korean cars....A Petrol head is primarily concerned with the engine. Give him a powerful high-revving powerplant and he will be willing to compromise on everything else - The Honda Vtec for example.

There are many out here who have korean cars for reasons of practicality...but Daewoos just dont make it to the heart.

THe Optras a great car...and I am sure it best suits the purpose you bought it for.

GTO

P.S. Great 1000 km review of the Optra

Ok, i've driven the optra and here are my views.

Ride quality - surely not the best in it's class. It's harsh and bumpy at low speeds.

Engine - doesn't like to be revved hard. Not as smooth as the Corolla.

Acceleration - nothing to be talked about.

Handling - better and crisper than the Corolla.

Regards...
Shan2nu

From what I've seen and read (I haven't driven this car), the chevy optra is a victim of unfair stereotypical criticism, especially for having a Korean underpinning. The cons you have stated below are minor irritants and there are workarounds for each of these. To me, the Optra is a decent value package if your primary reason for owning it is pleasure driving.

Apart from its Korean (Daewoo) origin, there's really nothing wrong with the Chevrolet Optra. It's a decent mix of everything and very well priced. If you want a car that does everything adequately, then the Optra is a good choice. If you're after scorching acceleration, look elsewhere.
Overall, the Optra is a decent buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ May 20 2004,23:16)]Now the cons
1. Not the greatest in terms of mileage despite changing the gear ratio few months back
2. Headlamp bulbs power not adequate especially on the highway
3. Should have come with 205 footwear, (what I saw in Singapore)
4. No disc brake for the rear wheel. I believe they have started giving all wheel disc brakes very recently. I have asked my dealer to do the same for my car.
5. It’s a Daewoo
6. Decent Blaupunkt 5 CD changer system with crappy speakers

Have never driven one so I cannot comment - they say the 1.6 is actually a sweeter car - this engine is not a Holden based one. My neighbour has one and it looks v plush and it is very good metal for the money.

I would not ignore a 1.6 Optra - give it some better "breathing and a bit more spark" , it would better a 1.8. Mind you these are armchair comments

In reply to your cons

1: Mileage is not the greatest expense unless you drive a taxi. Look at depreciation - as the Optra is in demand, the reslae will be good

2: You can upgrade to Osram bulbs - need to find someone abroad to get them. I changed mine on the Vtec, makes a difference - check out www.powerbulbs.co.uk

3: You can always upgrade - manufacturers skimp on this to keep the price down - do it after the warranty expires

4: Can't comment on this, as long as braking is satisfactory, its not an issue in my eyes. If you do high speed running then it is a different issue.

5: We used to say that about Toyota, nissan even Hyundai - needs a little more brand nuturing

6: They always do this - costs. My vtec had crappy 40w speakers allround. For under Rs 10k you can change them

Hi Ajmat
I’ve driven 1.6 also but found 1.8 more open.

Mileage is never an issue with me. I’m getting around 8km and I’m more than happy.
Thanks for the bulb suggestion. This is one area which is really bothering me.

A long as braking is satisfactory, its not an issue in my eyes. If you do high speed running then it is a different issue. Ok, may not be a big one but I’ll go for it nevertheless.

We used to say that about Toyota, Nissan even Hyundai - needs a little more brand nurturing. Yes I agree with you.

They always do this - costs. Yes, I agree again but I’ve changed the speakers and added amp and sub woofer.

Warm regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ May 20 2004,23:16)]2. Headlamp bulbs power not adequate especially on the highway

Hey Rudra,

I havent had the chance to drive or even be driven in an optra yet. Will check it out very soon after getting back as friends of mine own the car.

About the bulbs, Almost all cars nowadays come with ~50/60watt halogen H4s. These are usually adequate for city driving, but maybe in the optra's case they come with some bad quality bulbs, so you have two options -

Buy new 55/60watt bulbs (thats- lowbeam wattage/highbeam wattage) from a reputed manufacturer, like MICO for example.

OR, you could upgrade to overwatt bulbs, usually 90/100watts. I set these up on my accent before making the trip to goa along with a louder horn as i did not wish to compromise on visibility & safety. The thing with overwatt bulbs is that they are get much hotter, so depending on the car's bulb mountings it may cause some slight melting (none on my accent, but have seen some on other accents because i guess they left the headlights on when stationary for too long...or something else like that).
Also, with overwatt bulbs you have to upgrade your headlamp wiring for the added wattage, plus add a headlamp relay (modern cars aldready have relays but i suggest putting in a better quality one).

Anyway, i am rambling.
If your interested in stock bulbs try these.

For the headlamp relay i suggest MICO again.

cya
R

ps - if you or anyone for that matter has overwatt bulbs PLEASE make sure your headlights are adjusted correctly and be considerate especially on inclines!! cya

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] along with a louder horn as i did not wish to compromise on visibility & safety.

I consider the horn to be the single most important automotive safety device in Indian driving conditions!

GTO

There is nothing wrong with Optra , it is a very good package . It is a good car but it is not the best car.!!

optra is jack of all trades master of none

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (anshuman @ May 27 2004,02:40)]optra is jack of all trades master of none

And why do you say that?

i test driven optra 1.6 base. *Let me tell you. Its a Very Good Car.

Currently i own Honda City 1.3 and i found optra 1.6's pickup much better then my 1.3 city. Ofcourse its 1.6 engine. *The interiors are good and the wooden panel finish gives very robust impression. Yes the music system is not the best but i think dude buying 7.5-8 lakhs car can spend some money on decent music system.

Regarding breaks, while on test drive on 80kmph i pushed the break paddles and it was very effective. *I don't know weather disk breaks would be better or not but on this speed the breaks was very effective hence i don't feel any problem with breaks. Regarding light bulbs can be upgraded. Overall i found this car to be value for money and its backed by 2 years or 20k km service holiday (consumables like air filter and oil change + labor is free).

Check out for dealer and finance discounts. i am waiting for sale of my Honda city and i will book my optra next day i get token for my car.

edit: i found foot rest not much confirmable. Actually it was annoying for me because my foot size is 10 and i wear large shoes. I will get it removed if i bought this car.

ALSO, do you know if we can return the company system to dealer and get some discount?. Some other member in other post have mentioned that he got 5k from dealer while returning the system. i will also do that because the companies dash cd changer is costing around 18k which is way tooo much. for this price i can buy pioneer double panel display mp3 player (15k).

Rudra ,

How times change !! looking at the headline in your topic and just have a look at the scenario regarding the Optra now. Its being recommended left , right and centre - and its sold in huge numbers.

Just proves that a good car built with customer perception will always sell - of course some real good advertising and back up helps too. and GM aint sitting idle either - when the FE factor came in they went and got the VGIS system , that shows the are very very alive to the market changes and trends and customer requirements too.

I think Ford should be sweating - with the Aveo coming in anytime !