Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2004, 00:42   #16
BHPian

The following figures are taken from midday article. Refer to the link in GTO's post.

The cost factor (all figures approximate)
Cost of car: Rs 2.35 crore
Import duty: Rs 2.50 crore
Registration and insurance: Rs 50 lakh
Customising costs: Rs 75 lakh
Total: Rs 6 crore
Old 8th June 2004, 01:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

N4S,
The cost is 345,000 Euros,

So how does that come to 2.35?

And why customising cost? I thought everything on the Maybach was on the house?
Old 8th June 2004, 01:24   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]And why customising cost? I thought everything on the Maybach was on the house?
Hey S350, the interiors of the Maybach are customised according to the owners likes. But 75 lakhs i wud buy a S class instead of customising . Even a stock/standard Maybach wud do for me.
Old 8th June 2004, 01:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

yes ..there are customising costs...like the type of napa leather u opt for..the umbrella that opens when u get out of the car in rain....etc and a lot others......like the type of sound systems( yes people u can opt for a diff sound systems than thats standard on it..)
customised paint and customised headlights also,,,,,dont know about the headlight thing...read it some where
Old 8th June 2004, 01:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

V12,
My point exactly,
And dipen see this all options are NO COST options

The highlights at a glance

(* = standard equipment; ** optionally available at no extra cost)

AC twin-spark ignition with ionic current diagnosis*
Activated charcoal filter*
Active ventilation for front and rear seats
Air recirculation function with tunnel setting*
Airbags with adaptive control depending on accident severity*
AIRMATIC Dual Control*
Aluminium doors, roof, wings and bonnet*
Ambient lighting while the car is on the move*
Anti-theft alarm system with motion sensor*
Automatic transmission*
Auxiliary heater with ventilation function
Auxiliary ventilation with solar power

Belt tensioners and belt force limiters on all seats*
Bi-xenon headlamps*
Boot lid with remote opening and closing*
Braking system with four brake callipers at the front*
Business package with notebook

CD changer for six CDs in the rear*
Child seat recognition (automatic) with transponder technology in the front passenger seat*
Climate control with separate automatic climate control for front and rear*
COMAND APS with colour display, navigation, DVD player and TV receiver*
Crash-responsive backrests in the rear reclining seats*
Curtains for the rear window* and side windows

Dashboard leather-covered *
DISTRONIC
Dolby surround sound on every seat*
Dust/pollen filter*
DVD-player in the rear*
Dynamic multicontour backrests for front and rear seats*

Electronic ignition key with memory chip for seat and climate control settings*
ESP®*
Exterior mirrors electrically folding*

Fine wood trim in burr walnut, amboyna or cherry*
Folding tables for rear passengers*
Four-zone climate control*
Front-end structure with forked members and upper level of side members*

Headlamp Assist*
Headlamp cleaning system*
Headphones with cordless technology for rear passengers
Heated seats front and rear*
Heated steering wheel

Infrared-reflecting glass*
Instrument cluster with central display and black screen technology*
Instruments (tachometer, clock, exterior temperature) for rear passengers*
Integral seats for driver and front passenger with electric adjustment*
Intercom

KEYLESS-GO

Lamellar trim strips of fine wood with discreet chrome highlights*
Leather upholstery with Grand nappa and nubuck leather*
Light-alloy wheels, 19-inch*
LINGUATRONIC*

Memory package (front and rear) for seat, steering wheel and mirror adjustments*
Mobile phone in the rear

Navigation system with dynamic route guidance*

Panoramic roof with electro-transparent glass and illuminated sliding liner
PARKTRONIC*
Partition with retractable window and electro-transparent glass
Pollution sensor for the outside atmosphere*
Power locking for doors and boot lid*

Rain sensor for the windscreen wipers*
Reclining seats for rear passengers with electric adjustment*
Refrigerator compartment with separate compressor in the rear**
Remote control for all entertainment systems in the rear*
Residual engine heat function*

Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC™)*
Side walls with robust tubular reinforcement of the A and B-pillars*
Sidebags for all four seats*
Sliding/tilting sunroof in glass, electrically operated**
Sound system with Dolby surround sound on every seat, 21 loudspeakers*
Steering wheel covered in wood-leather*
Sun sensor for interior climate control*

Tail lamp functions with 528 LEDs*
TELEAID* and TELEDIAGNOSIS*
Telephone system with two cordless handsets*
TFT colour monitor in the rear*
TIREFIT*
TV receiver in the rear*
Twin turbochargers with water intercooling*
Two-tone metallic paintwork*
Type 12 engine with twin turbochargers (405 kW/550 hp)*
Tire pressure monitoring on the move*
Tires with run-flat properties

Up-front sensors for rapid, situation-related airbag activation*

Windowbags, two on each side*
Windows of thermally insulated, laminated glass with an acoustic membrane*

Source : Source

And the launch press release also says no cost options :

Link to article at launch
Old 8th June 2004, 02:31   #21
BHPian

s350,
After going thro your post abt the trip in the e and the problems it gave, i think, mercedes is giving a S with the maybach as a back up car. So incase the 62 breaks down, you can also come back home in the s. So thats where the 75 lakhs is going. 60 for the s, and 15 to make it a little bit more luxurious.
Old 8th June 2004, 19:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (need4speed @ June 08 2004,01:01)]s350,
After going thro your post abt the trip in the e and the problems it gave, i think, mercedes is giving a S with the maybach as a back up car. So incase the 62 breaks down, you can also come back home in the s. So thats where the 75 lakhs is going. 60 for the s, and 15 to make it a little bit more luxurious.
So whats the order code for the backup car?
Old 8th June 2004, 23:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (need4speed @ June 08 2004,01:01)]s350,
are u serious, or pulling s350's leg as usual??!!!!
Old 9th June 2004, 00:03   #24
BHPian

I think everyone in bombay who was capable of buyin this car would have placed the order before maybach came to india..and as far as the daily giving this news, it could be just rumors, just like the price..I know for a fact that it is *not 6c in india..

and 50 lakhs for registration..doest work out right..

360k euros is right about what a nicely customized maybach might cost..the max it goes upto is 420k $$$ = 380k euros..so considering you are going all out.. 380*2.1 = 4.3 crs which then with registration and insurance comes to no more than 20-25 lakhs and that it = 4.5c maxed out..I know it costs 2% of the cost of the car to insure so 4 c = 10lakhs and reg is not a big amout too..

so i dont know how 6 cr figure is justified...??

and as far as dealers saying no cars have been ordered..that i dont know...cuz i have positive reports of few cars..in bbay..may be the rest of ambani's cars would still in Q @ their end or may be they have ordered theirs from london or some other country..cuz you can right now buy a brand new maybach right away(no wait) from couple of dealers in the US, so I am assuming the same in other europian countries as well..

also paying 4.5-5c for a car may be outrageous to us but imagine for ppl who earn in 10s of crores, for them its peaunuts, in my understanding any man earning more than 15c after taxes(legit income) could easily afford this car..and there are many ppl who can but ofcourse will not cuz of stupid mentality of keepin the money in the bank as safety even if they have a multiple of this amount already..

talking about mentality..I couldnt belive when mr. shashi ruia (owner of essar group) told my dad he doesnt want to buy cuz its too expensive..if you look at his house..you will think ambanis house is shambles..all he drives is an old xj8 and his brother a 7 series..these are ppl with over 1500 crores as personal wealth..another case is this guy who moved from germany(a good friend of my dad's)..and put in a fixed deposite of 800c with a bank, he is also not interested..he drives the new pajero..I am shocked to c ppl who do this..cuz what would you get by putting all your money in bank..its good to keep a balance..but this is no balance in my opinion..

If I was earning close to 12-15c you would surely c me in a phantom if not maybach(cuz of personal preference)

Cheers
Old 9th June 2004, 00:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

The guy who moved from Germany might have felt that a Pajero would be ideal for Indian driving conditions.
I feel that a Maybach is too loud a car, atleast in India. U stop at a signal...and u see scooters, bikes, cycles, relatively small end cars, all around u. For me, that is very uncomfortable...
Old 9th June 2004, 01:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (shravan316 @ June 08 2004,22:56)]I feel that a Maybach is too loud a car, atleast in India. U stop at a signal...and u see scooters, bikes, cycles, relatively small end cars, all around u. For me, that is very uncomfortable...
Shravan, you make a lot of sense for a 18 yr old. I feel uncomfortable with all those ricks, cycles, scooters and bikes around my siena. And everyone of them has left a mark on it without fail. And if i had the good fortune to own a maybach here in bombay, i would definitely be $hitting bricks every time i took it out. But i would still have one if i had the moolah.
There is an ad for the palio. There is a cyclist leaning on the palio at every nxt signal. You should see the ad for what the driver of the palio does. D/l it if you can.
Old 9th June 2004, 04:50   #27
BHPian

I agree ppl would feel uncomfi, but do you really think ppl who own the S500 and 600 and other big cars use them on a regular basis, I dont think so, these are special occasion cars, you would take them out at night, going to some party or to a hotel for dinner or some important business meeting, at night there is not much traffic anyways for you to worry and as for some day time trips, it can be uncomfi in bbay but living in delhi in nice places you dont need to worry about it..

so it depends..and for indian driving condition there are a lot of cars better than the pajero I feel..and when you have a 800crore FD, comfort is forefront and not what is ideal but you are partly correct..it would feel odd to be in a maybach with rickshaws and cycles all around it.
But I feel its not them that bother me so much, but its the scooter and bike walas that are the worst freakin drivers on earth..

anyhow I am waiting for the day I can own one and then I can decide if it is really worthless to buy one in india or not

L8r

Old 9th June 2004, 08:32   #28
Team-BHP Support

Some comments:

1: I know people with millions in the bank, they have worked hard to get there so are reluctant to spend on something without utility or a return on investment. They prefer the security of the bank balance

2: Those who got their cars from abroad may qualify for duty exemptions due to their export status

3: I saw a Porsche 993 being driven at 6.00pm one day. He was having a lot of problems- everyone was surounding him, peering in and it was not easy driving the car slowly !
Old 9th June 2004, 11:21   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]1: I know people with millions in the bank, they have worked hard to get there so are reluctant to spend on something without utility or a return on investment. They prefer the security of the bank balance
I agree with Ajmat. How people spend their money is entirely their personal thing. We shouldnt comment on that.

GTO
Old 9th June 2004, 11:23   #30
BHPian

Thats exactly my point..ppls mentality hasnt changed in india..here they prefer to have cash rotting or as many might call earning interest/safe-keeping rather than using it for fun...agreed you earned it with hard work and sweat...but come on man..what for..to have fun..to do things that one would not be able to do otherwise, to have a future which is comfi since you deserve it..you dont know until when will you live..so might as well do things to the fullest..doing stupid things while being calculative is what I call living..else it is no living at all..how much do you think you need to comfortably live in india..without much extravagance, I would say no more than 50-75 lakhs in the year..what about the rest..of the cash you hold..say you wanna live until 80 and half your life is over in earning your millions..you wouldnt need more than 20 crores in your bank..(I am only talking about ppl with millions) now tell me how many do you know who have in excess of this figure..quite afew right so, y dont they indulge..?? anyhow I have a very different mentality..so I question general Indian mentality..I would love for the indian ppl to spend, and spend more..this is how our economy will grow..

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks