Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2004, 16:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

well, Ok, i concede on a technicality! Although that is basically a rebadged Suzuki, it was never actually sold as a Suzuki in the States. BUUUUUUUUTTTT in my defence, this is actually the replacement for the Swift, whether it was sold in the US as one or not. *The Baleno is a totally different platform. Funny Maruti never thought it wise to introduce this model here though.

p.s. wasn't this topic supposed to be on the Tavera *lol

Old 25th May 2004, 16:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 25 2004,11:00)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

the Baleno is not the successive generation of the Esteem. That's the Swift, which is a size smaller than the Baleno.
Was in the US though. The Baleno was introduced as a replacement for the Esteem. In fact, it was also called the Esteem only (i.e. the Baleno as we know it was sold as the Esteem in the US).

GTO
Hey GTO, just looking back at what actually started this off, if you see, you wrote that the Baleno was the successive generation of the Swift. Well, going by that statement alone, I would have to say you are wrong, as the next Geo Metro was actually the Swifts' next generation model.

The fact that the Baleno took its place in the market does not make it a generation change for the actual car itself.

whew...i think i'll stop here lol! nuthin like a nice discussion eh?
Old 25th May 2004, 16:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Umm guys... this is supposed to be a Tavera discussion and not suzuki...lol

Revv

P.S. Moderator, please rename topic as "Suzuki swift history... 1989-2004.
Old 25th May 2004, 16:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

not to divert from the topic
but guys does suzuki sells in large nos in the us???
in my two years of staying there honeslty never saw a suzuki, apart from a jimny
Old 25th May 2004, 17:58   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] it was never actually sold as a Suzuki in the States
It was never sold as a Suzuki ANYWHERE!!! As *I mentioned before, General Motors had exclusive rights to this model. GM Warren designed it, Suzuki powered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] this is actually the replacement for the Swift
Funny you should say this, as arent we now aware that Suzuki REPLACED the Swift (Our Esteem) with the Esteem (Our Baleno)

Suzuki must have been smoking dope if they were designing and pumping huge investments into a successor...and THEN LEAVE A COMPETITOR WITH THE ABSOLUTE REPLACEMENT!!

Suzuki did not launch the Metro Sedan. How on earth is it a replacement for the Swift then? Spare some thought on this...Would it trust a competitor with the next generation for an outgoing model which has seen decent success? General Motors did only because they had already their hands full with the Saturn. GM wanted a low cost, reliable front wheel driver entry-level sedan which Suzuki had the technology for. This would have to be the first time in history that another car maker launches the next generation to someone elses outgoing model.

Conversely - GM, in their right minds, did not launch this car as a replacement for the Suzuki Swift sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The Baleno is a totally different platform.
That does not stop a car from being a successor now, does it? In which automotive market has it been the rule that the successive generation must have the same platform as the previous gen? Newer gen Honda Accords have almost always been on a totally different platform than its previous generations.

Suzuki discontinued the Swift (Our Esteem) the minute they launched the Esteem (Our Baleno). The Esteem (Our Baleno) was launched INTERNATIONALLY as THE SUCCESSOR and the next generation to the Swift (Our Esteem).

GTO
Old 25th May 2004, 17:59   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nope Aadix,

Contrary to the situation in India, Suzuki and Mitsubishi enjoy almost no brand value in the market. They are known as unreliable econoboxes, and have terrible depreciation/resale values.

GTO
Old 25th May 2004, 18:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

hmmm
though so
so do they offer any sceme's like hyundai to boost thier slaes???
Old 25th May 2004, 18:44   #23
Team-BHP Support

hey GTO,

I sense I'm drivin you up the wall! Sorry bro, but i like to argue a point till I get a conclusive, erm..conclusion! And your last post did it for me.

The suzuki Swift is dead. Long live the Esteem. Hey, but the Esteem is a swift...no wait .....its a Baleno....no....

lol
Old 25th May 2004, 21:58   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not an issue champ.

GTO
Old 25th May 2004, 22:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Alright i think i should set an international 'local' standard as to what to call a car..
We, from now on will address the names of the car models as they are known in India and if they are sold abroad, we will add an terminal '(A)' (whrer 'A' means Abroad) which implies that that u r referring to the same model sold abroad.
I think this shud reduce confusions.
Old 26th May 2004, 21:57   #26
BHPian

GTO,
You are right about the Esteem and Swift in the US market. I once drove the Swift 4 yrs back. Last yr i saw the esteem (baleno) in estate version. Apart from these, i have seen the gypsy in different forms and makes in the US. Right now the hyundai accent and Sonata are available in plenty by car rentals. the are damn cheap i guess.
-chaxy
Old 1st June 2004, 09:50   #27
BHPian

That was really informative to know more about Suzuki in US !!!!
Old 12th June 2004, 05:46   #28
Max
BHPian

They are selling ESTEEM in USA with AirBags and its cheaper over there then india.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks