Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2004, 14:08   #1
BHPian

http://www.chevrolet.co.in/action/home

Old 24th May 2004, 15:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Toyota,

In keeping with the Team-BHP regulations, please provide with the direct web address from where the original article was procured.

Thanks for your co-operation

GTO
Old 24th May 2004, 15:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean " BYE BYE QUALIS " or " Another stupid GM product? "
Old 24th May 2004, 16:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Does this mean " BYE BYE QUALIS " or " Another stupid GM product? "
I think the former S350! Atleast till the NEW Qualis arrives. The present Kijang would slaughter the Tavera. It looks very similar to the previous generation landcruiser and is miles ahead of the Tavera in fit & finish.

The Tavera may be squashed even before it gets a chance to sell in significant numbers. That is, if Toyota launch the Kijang soon!

Old 24th May 2004, 18:48   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sweet find Rtech. And the new Qualis will surely slaughter the Tavera. I dont suppose it should take Toyota too long to get the next gen in.

GTO
Old 24th May 2004, 18:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

yea, the new qualis should be in soon. Infact, i can't remember who told me this, but I know when someone went to the showroom at Lower Parel enquiring about the Qualis, the salesman told him that they have stopped producing it, as they are now getting ready for the new version.

However, i highly doubt Toyota would have stopped production, but something could be read into that.

Another thought: Do you think it would be wise for Toyota to keep making the current Qualis at a substanially lower price to appeal to the taxi trade? This way, they could also market the new one as an upmarket product which buyers won't have to share with the taxi drivers! Just a thought.
Old 24th May 2004, 20:18   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Viable, but it wouldnt do much for Toyotas image. They already launched an outdated model with the Qualis, and then they continue to sell it for 10 years?

Plus, if they lower the price...it will leave the existing owners pretty miffed. As Hormazd had written in his column, Honda could have continued with the Old City side-by-side the new City. But again, their market reputation would have taken a beating.

Really, hats off to Maruti for successfully managing to sell three generations of the same car (800 - Zen - Alto) and two generations of a sedan (Esteem - Baleno)

GTO
Old 25th May 2004, 08:15   #8
BHPian

Toyota is not going to launch the New genration Kijang in Indian Market .
Production of Qualis cannot be stopped by now as no one knows when the new vehicle will be launched ( Just 6months more)
TKM dont have 6 months stock to stop production so early.
But by Dec 2004 it is sure to be stopped and from Feb the new Vehicle will be rolled out.
When Tavera is directly marketed against Qualis, Toyota is not going to price the new vehicle as same as Qualis . It is going to be little expensive than Qualis or equal to higher version s.
SO i think Tavera will have its own market.Better get a Safari for Vintage collection .
Old 25th May 2004, 12:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 24 2004,18:48)]Really, hats off to Maruti for successfully managing to sell three generations of the same car (800 - Zen - Alto) and two generations of a sedan (Esteem - Baleno)

GTO
Hey GTO,

the Baleno is not the successive generation of the Esteem. That's the Swift, which is a size smaller than the Baleno.
Old 25th May 2004, 12:27   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup. The Baleno is a diff car altogether. But i guess it was known as the Esteem in the US markets.

I guess its gonna be Bye Bye Qualis. The Tavera is priced very close to the Qualis. It also has a TCed engine. And looks better and more balanced than the Qualis.
Old 25th May 2004, 12:30   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

the Baleno is not the successive generation of the Esteem. That's the Swift, which is a size smaller than the Baleno.
Was in the US though. The Baleno was introduced as a replacement for the Esteem. In fact, it was also called the Esteem only (i.e. the Baleno as we know it was sold as the Esteem in the US).

GTO
Old 25th May 2004, 12:42   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nope, the esteem (as we know it) or the swift (as they know it) was replaced by this - also sold as a Geo

This was sold alongside the Baleno (as we know it) or the Esteem (as they know it...sheesh!! crazy names) which was a size up, and till recently, the largest sedan Suzuki sold. Now ofcourse they have the rebadged Daewoo's, the Nubira (Optra) and Magnus.
Old 25th May 2004, 13:57   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hahaha, Now even I am getting confused with all the name matching. Okay, will try to keep it simple for other members to follow.

1. From 1989 to 1995, Suzuki sold the Swift sedan (Our Esteem) in the United States

2. Alongside the Swift sedan, they introduced the Swift Hatchback in 1990 (Basically a two door hatch version of our Esteem)

3. In late-1995, Suzuki replaced the Swift sedan (our esteem) with the Esteem sedan (Our baleno.

4. In addition, they replaced the older gen swift hatchback with the newer gen swift hatchback. As you have pointed out, this was sold as the Geo Metro.

So , the model picture that you have shown is a replacement ONLY for the 1990-1994 Suzuki Swift hatchback and NOT the sedan. The 1989-1995 swift sedan (our Esteem) was replaced by the 1995-2002 Esteem sedan (Our Baleno).

GTO

Old 25th May 2004, 14:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]So , the model picture that you have shown is a replacement ONLY for the 1990-1994 Suzuki Swift hatchback and NOT the sedan. The 1989-1995 swift sedan (our Esteem) was replaced by the 1995-2002 Esteem sedan (Our Baleno).
no no no no noooo GTO!! lol! I put up the hatch coz thats what i found first. There was also a 3 box with the same design, and THAT was the replacement for the swift. It was always sold in both variants.

this is the sedan.
Old 25th May 2004, 15:56   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rtech,

The three box photograph that you have provided was not a replacement for the Suzuki Swift SEDAN, simply because it is NOT a Suzuki sedan.

The picture you have given is that of the GM Geo Metro Sedan, which is exclusive to General Motors. This car was styled by GM Warren while Suzuki completed the engineering. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT Suzuki never sold this car in sedan form simply because they launched the new Esteem (Baleno) at a small premium over the outgoing Swift Sedan (Our Esteem). It would undoubtedly lead to product cannibalisation within Suzukis sedan range.

Suzuki ONLY launched the Esteem Sedan (Our Baleno) as a replacement for the Swift sedan (Our Esteem).

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks