Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2007, 11:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
I like this system. It will just put off the thief and maybe injure him. But a bit too much risk if activated by mistake.
Old 6th November 2007, 11:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The key is to dissuade the thief as much as possible.
ie don't keep it sparkingly clean. and park it next to the octy/civic/[insert high end car name here] in the colony
Old 6th November 2007, 13:57   #48
BHPian

ok now chk this out....

THE IMMOBILISER, branded as iCATs (Intelligent Computerized Anti-Theft System), is an electronic system that works on digitally encrypted codes and hence is tamper-proof. Cars equipped with the iCATs have a secret code on the car key fob. This code is matched with the corresponding code on Electronic Control Unit (ECU) of the car. Only after the two codes match, the ECU, permits the engine to start.

Jagdish Khattar, Managing Director & CEO, Maruti Udyog Limited says, “The customer has always been at the centre of all Maruti initiatives. We have been concerned at the increasing number of car thefts and the loss and inconvenience caused to our customers. The factory fitted iCATs will provide the customer a foolproof device that prevents theft of their cars. With this initiative, we have equipped our cars with a feature found in advanced car markets like the EU and Australia”.

The marginal price change due to the iCATs ranges between Rs 1000/- to Rs 4300/- (Ex-showroom, Delhi) for the various Maruti models. In light of the total vehicle security offered by this advanced gadget, ICICI bank has offered special interest rates for cars equipped with iCATs. The Insurance companies too offer a rebate of Rs 500/- on the insurance premium for cars equipped with iCATs.

According to the company, the new devise will go a long way in securing the customer’s assets. Every six minutes a vehicle is stolen in India, as per the National Crime Records Bureau. Industry estimates that in 2005, the value of stolen vehicles was a mammoth Rs 1,000 Crores and of it, passenger cars accounted for a major chunk. Further, the theft of vehicles has shown an increasing trend in recent times. Data for the period 2003-05 reflects a 23 per cent increase in vehicle thefts.

The NCRB also points out that out of every four stolen cars only one is recovered. Of the stolen vehicles, the share of Maruti compact cars is relatively high owing to their higher resale value, ready market and ease of disposal. With Maruti introducing the iCATs in its model range, the loss and inconvenience to customers on account of car theft will hopefully be reduced.

Immobiliser is a mandatory anti-theft device in advanced car markets like Europe and Australia. In those markets, the immobiliser comes as a factory fitted feature from car manufacturers. The regulations there do not accept aftermarket ‘theft-deterrent systems’ as a substitute for the Immobiliser. Though an immobiliser is yet to be made mandatory in India by regulation, Maruti has proactively introduced the iCATs system.

An immobiliser has proven reliability as it works on the principle of digital communication and cannot be tampered with. On the other hand, most aftermarket ‘theft-deterrent systems’ rely on external wires, and are easy to disable. This makes the ‘theft-deterrent systems’ offered by car accessory sellers in the unorganized sector, unreliable theft prevention devices.

The iCATs works on the principle of multiplexed digital communication. The transponder inbuilt into the car key carries a unique electronic identification code. The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) of the vehicle also carries a corresponding secret code. The moment the key is inserted and the ignition is switched “on” the code is communicated from the key to vehicle’s ECU. The engine starts only if the secret code on the key transponder matches with the corresponding code on the ECU. In case of a mismatch of the codes, the electronic circuitry prevents the engine from starting. Under no circumstance the engine will start with any locally fabricated key. Maruti recommends that incase of a loss of the key, the customer should visit the dealer workshop to electronically, de-link the lost key.

Source : Taking a cue from EU, Maruti launches ‘Immobiliser’

2nd part : Making it..

AutoSpeed - The World's Best DIY Immobiliser
Old 6th November 2007, 17:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have a Swift VXI + nippon(paid extra for it) which comes with a remote lock and immobilizer..

does this iCATS mean same ? does it mean maruti is giving it for free...?

i bought my car in march end..and that time i didnt hear anything like this.
Old 6th November 2007, 19:38   #50
BHPian

i got fiat 1.6 sienna 2001 model it has got something like immobilizer is it similar to iCats or only some ordinary feature ?
Old 6th November 2007, 20:12   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
It is not too difficult to clone these keys using a pc. A local locksmith to me (in UK) has all the gear to clone these so called smart keys. He charges the equivalent of 640RS to cut and program 1 key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdesai1987 View Post
THE IMMOBILISER, branded as iCATs (Intelligent Computerized Anti-Theft System), is an electronic system that works on digitally encrypted codes and hence is tamper-proof. Cars equipped with the iCATs have a secret code on the car key fob. This code is matched with the corresponding code on Electronic Control Unit (ECU) of the car. Only after the two codes match, the ECU, permits the engine to start.
The description sounds like RSA Public/Private key encryption, similar to the secure certificate used for online secure encryption (HTTPS). Reverse engineering these keys can be extremely difficult.
Old 6th November 2007, 20:36   #52
BANNED

Does my car have iCATS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I have a Swift VXI + nippon(paid extra for it) which comes with a remote lock and immobilizer..

does this iCATS mean same ? does it mean maruti is giving it for free...?

i bought my car in march end..and that time i didnt hear anything like this.

Maruti started selling iCATS cars only by May / June. Some time in April/May, when I was researching, they used to give two quotes on their sites for cars with and without the immobiliser. By the time I purchased it, it was a standard feature, and all maruti sites gave prices of cars ONLY with the iCATS feature.

If your dealer gave you an anti-theft system with an immobiliser, it is likely that your car did not have one ex-factory. My dealer said that the higher end systems are no use for me since the only additional features are movement sensors and immobilisers.

Only way to know if your car has an immobiliser is to look at the plastic side of the key - if it is big (approx 2 inches), it does come with an immobiliser ex-factory. Anything around 1 inch is a normal key.
Old 6th November 2007, 22:33   #53

iCATs (Immoboliser) deals only with Engine start functionality.
As already said in this thread, the ECU allows to start the engine only when it confirms the key is genuine (Be it owner or any other theif who got at knife point)

FIAT is giving Immobiliser as standard option for its Stile varients. I am not sure if it gave to the older models too.

Just to add, typically the key, when goes into the RF Area, emits some key of certain length. This is used by the Engine ECU to validate. This key is said to be capable of producing random number, which may appear again after many months (say 100000 times?). On the other side, this immobiliser function is active before start of engine. Once the engine starts, immobiliser is not active until key is removed from the key-hole (Engine is stopped).

The current fancy about these immobilier (as we can see in RR, Bentleys etc), you donot have to insert the key into the hole. Just keep it with you and press the START button on the dashboard. I guess BMW/Mercs have this already (see the coverage area). I also heard somewhere about new concept from Volvo, where it recognises the owner (key) approaching the car, it unloks the doors, adjusts the seats, pedals, steering etc.

Coming back to the point, YES, it will certainly keep theifs comparatively away from the vehicle.
Old 7th November 2007, 06:50   #54
BANNED

Will iCATs do any good in the case of Hollywood/Bollywood style of breaking wires ?
Old 7th November 2007, 09:02   #55
BHPian

I have one doubt.. as this iCATS are electronically operated will this work on battery power or so? If so what happens once these equipments get old...means these electronic equipments tends to play tricks when they are old. If this happens the CAR DOESN'T START. Imagine on a nice tour with family and this happens to you!!!!!

Ramki.
Old 7th November 2007, 10:20   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanni View Post
The current fancy about these immobilier (as we can see in RR, Bentleys etc), you donot have to insert the key into the hole. Just keep it with you and press the START button on the dashboard. I guess BMW/Mercs have this already (see the coverage area). I also heard somewhere about new concept from Volvo, where it recognises the owner (key) approaching the car, it unloks the doors, adjusts the seats, pedals, steering etc.
OFF TOPIC: Yes my US car used to recognize both the keys as different and driver seat position-height, steering, CC temperature and ORVMs used to get adjusted automatically to same which you set last time for perticular key. I thought this was meant for Mr/Mrs driving with different keys, but it has unique thing about security. So security digital key was same or were different for both keys I could not say so.

It was Ford.

Last edited by omishra : 7th November 2007 at 10:22.
Old 7th November 2007, 14:39   #57

Ramki,
The key has what they call as transponder. It does not require external power supply. The EM present near the key hole is sufficient to drive the transponder. Remember some people stick some stuff on the mobile, which starts glowing even before it starts ringing... exactly like that.

Omishra,
Yes, its like the modern hotel/apartment keys, where key can open all the gates and one room. Similar as they call in encriptions world as public key and private key. Each key acts as private and vehicle acts as the public key. So car can remember the setting done by individuals.
Old 7th November 2007, 23:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Well Nothing In the world is safe. Not even you yourself.

Cars Are also Kind Of Gadgets and there is till date no fool proff method to protect cars. These Things Just Elongate the Stealing Time Of The Theifs.
Have Heard A Car Stolen A Corolla with immobilizer with ease
But Was found later on!

So You Gotta Protect your car to the maximum.!
Old 5th May 2008, 00:02   #59
BHPian

Maruti iCATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Hi all!
Was wondering how effective this iCATS (intelligent car anti-theft system) thing is.

My question is: Has anyone had an iCATS car stolen? Or has anyone heard of one being stolen? In other words, has this system been 'cracked' by our auto thieves here in India?
Any news of cars fitted with iCATS being stolen? The system has been around for some time now.
Old 5th May 2008, 08:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Any news of cars fitted with iCATS being stolen? The system has been around for some time now.
Yes, it's now just over a year old for Maruti cars. So if anyone has heard of ANY Maruti car (less than a year old) having been stolen, then it is an iCATs equipped car that has been stolen!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks