Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2022, 12:45   #1
BHPian

Registering a new car | Aadhar & PAN card mandatory?

Hello All,

I've recently booked a new personal car at Chennai, through the manufacturer's online booking page. The next day their dealer's sales team confirmed my booking and is now insisting on production of my Aadhaar card and PAN card which according to them is "MANDATORY" for registration of any personal vehicle, or even to proceed forward with the booking. Another source also echoed the same. This is happening across all the brands/dealers it seems.

Is their any exception to this?

With the recent Supreme Court ruling, which I could remember, spelt out that Aadhaar must not be insisted as the only proof of Identity when other alternate proof's are available, how come this is being enforced upon us as mandatory?

Am I availing any subsidy from the Union government /MORTH or the TN-RTO for registration of the vehicle for which they want to avoid duplicity/check eligibility by insisting on Aadhaar? - No!

Request anyone who has faced this question recently and have successfully overcome this requirement by producing alternate ID's like Passport/License etc.

Thank you.

Kind request: Please avoid counter questions like "Why dont you want to not provide your Aadhaar and get away with this?". That would be up for a detailed debate not applicable to this thread.
vijay.sundar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 14:27   #2
BHPian

re: Registering a new car | Aadhar & PAN card mandatory?

Taken from the official site.
Commissionerate of Transport and Road Safety
Government of Tamil Nadu.
https://tnsta.gov.in/Faq_registration.jsp

Registering a new car | Aadhar & PAN card mandatory?-tn-reg.png
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 15:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Isn't Aadhar, PAN mandatory for transactions over 2 lakhs? This has nothing specific to do with vehicle registration.
narayans80 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 19:21   #4
BHPian

I registered my car in December 2021 in Bangalore. Initially the dealer (Nexa) indicated that Aadhaar was required (they asked at time of booking stating it is required for registration), but on requesting them to check, they immediately talked to their colleagues and confirmed that it is not required. The additional document required was some sort of Affidavit for Rs 150, which they arranged.

Overall my interactions with Nexa (Kalyani) was favorable in this aspect. They went with the default process that has seeped in regarding requiring Aadhaar, but were prompt in understanding my stance and working with me. Did not encounter coercion from them, which seems to be what you're at the receiving end of.

Same for Car Loans - Was initially told it is mandatory SBI, but on pushing back they were happy to do it without Aadhaar.

Also, please note that there is really no mandate for a booking to be tied to Aadhaar. In my opinion with the advent of online booking by manufacturers and the large queues at launch, they are just pushing this illegally in the garb of "KYC".

Last edited by abhinavm : 5th November 2022 at 19:39.
abhinavm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 19:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Isn't Aadhar, PAN mandatory for transactions over 2 lakhs? This has nothing specific to do with vehicle registration.
Could be PAN is. Aadhaar isn't. There is a requirement to link PAN with Aadhaar but IT Dept keeps extending the deadline (recently with a penalty of Rs. 1000 when you eventually link).
abhinavm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 20:28   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Pan is mandatory for any transaction of higher value of more than 2 lakhs. Any id proof is enough. I booked and took delivery of my CB 350 and my XUV 700 without giving my Aadhaar number.
rajeevsulu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
Hello All,

With the recent Supreme Court ruling, which I could remember, spelt out that Aadhaar must not be insisted as the only proof of Identity when other alternate proof's are available, how come this is being enforced upon us as mandatory?

Am I availing any subsidy from the Union government /MORTH or the TN-RTO for registration of the vehicle for which they want to avoid duplicity/check eligibility by insisting on Aadhaar? - No!

Request anyone who has faced this question recently and have successfully overcome this requirement by producing alternate ID's like Passport/License etc.
My sister underwent this torture in Chennai to be precise in TN10 RTO during the peak of Aadhar mania which I guess in 2017. She was based out of Dubai but was in Chennai for a year and wanted to have a Activa. They refused registration and even after taking it upto Transport commissioner, they didn't budge. They told to get civil court order if we wish

Finally she got Aadhar for this purpose and got it registered. I don't know what they do but in TN they ask Aadhar for everything like Driving licence, property registration etc. But they never registered with Aadhar to verify biometrics or Aadhar authentication.
thanixravindran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 21:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Leave aside the Supreme Court judgment, RTO work in every sphere requires your aadhar for authentication. Be it learning licence, licence renewal, registration, reregistration and fitness, change of address, change of ownership and what not?

Yes we have the Apex Court judgment, but who is going to tell the Babus there, where a majority of them are imbecile, stubborn, hide bound, arrogant and quite many are corrupt too? If they get convinced it's OK. But so far, perhaps no one has convinced them.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:34   #9
BHPian

Re: Registering a new car | Aadhar & PAN card mandatory?

Its mostly because babus are lazy and only learn basic possible tools.

People who do not want to use adhaar are very very rare so they just do the bare minimum to cater the herd.
Old 7th November 2022, 21:14   #10
BHPian

TN RTOs are making it mandatory for their convenience and may be and to show off their powers. It's possible to register with Voter ID or notary also as i understand. Not sure what are the other accepted proofs. License is not accepted.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 21:31   #11
BHPian

RTOs use Aadhar to validate identify , at least here in Hyderabad. They also take your biometrics. Here, the tax is 2% more for 2nd vehicle. My guess is that they use Aadhar to ensure people are not using different IDs/names to avoid paying taxes . There have been reports of multiple PAN cards earlier.

Even in US, the depart of licensing takes the SSN number while registering vehicles and for driving license, if I remember right.
sanchari is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 11:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

On a different note, we have no working system that a fine automatically 'reaches' the inbox of the registered owner in case of any offence, something the developed countries have had since ages. Aadhaar seems the only (easy) proof of valid address that the RTO can avail.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 12:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
*ZNIP*
Even in US, the depart of licensing takes the SSN number while registering vehicles and for driving license, if I remember right.
SSN is equivalent to PAN, not to aadhar.

Cheers
Old 8th November 2022, 12:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
SSN is equivalent to PAN, not to aadhar.

Cheers
It was meant to be equivalent to PAN. However, due to corruption, people were able to get multiple PAN numbers. Hence they came up Aadhar with biometric identification, and now require PAN to be mandatorily linked to Aadhar to weed out duplicate PANs. Aadhar is now equivalent to SSN instead of PAN as that is what is used for govt funded social security schemes too, like LPG/fertilizer subsidies, Provident fund, pension, MNREGA and other schemes.
sanchari is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 12:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
It was meant to be equivalent to PAN. However, due to corruption, people were able to get multiple PAN numbers. Hence they came up Aadhar with biometric identification, and now require PAN to be mandatorily linked to Aadhar to weed out duplicate PANs. Aadhar is now equivalent to SSN instead of PAN as that is what is used for govt funded social security schemes too, like LPG/fertilizer subsidies, Provident fund, pension, MNREGA and other schemes.
Give it 5 years and they will come up with a new scheme. A new jadoo number. You heard it here first. Save this post for posterity.

With apologies to Tolkien,

One Number to rule them all, One Number to find them, One Number to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Spaced Out is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks