Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2022, 14:13   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
The Greying out of plastic can easily be fixed by any detail. Also, this sort of thing is common in any car that gets regular exposure to the hot sun. Try changing the parking spot if possible, that much help.
There’s some paint done by BMW on the plastic which is coming off not the case of greying out. The texture over that area has changed too. It’s nothing to do with detailing because my car gets waxed and detailed every season. I’ve got stilt parking so that is not a problem either.

Mechanically too the car has had list of premature replacements like all 4 shock ups, link ends, control arms(twice), crankshaft pulley, engine mounts, air intake box, steering rack(twice).

We’ve booked X3 Msport which is due for delivery this Feb but I’m in two minds now on the quality control aspect.
Old 27th November 2022, 20:59   #17
BHPian

I find this very strange. I have opened up the backlights of many cars ( M800, Zen, Esteem, Baleno, Toyota Fortuner, Chevrolet Beat, Honda Amaze, to name a few). They do have condensation holes/ drainage holes, but not space enough for insects to crawl inside.

I don't know about BMW, but if any automotive light has space for insects to get in, it will be filled with dust from the road in no time and become ineffective. So there is something wrong here.
Old 28th November 2022, 09:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ants made a colony in my Fortuner taillamp and the whole unit was promptly replaced under warranty.

I have not faced similar issues while using the 320D or heard complaints from BMW friends, but none are X1 users
Old 21st December 2022, 21:36   #19
BHPian

The BMW logo fell off today because the quality of the glue gave up leaving the tape behind!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps-7f997b2a50094125b56152ee0edbdb1a.jpeg  

adi58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 09:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

For those of you facing this issue it's a good idea to check the rear side of the tail light to understand where the entry point could possibly be. Yes, headlights and taillights are not air tight sealed components. However there is always a breather cap provided to exactly prevent these things from happening. Might be possible that the breather cap would have fallen off due to vibrations or broken. I can imagine ants making their way inside in some cases but definitely not bigger bugs.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 22:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Both rear led lights have bunch of bugs trapped in them. Shouldn’t this be sealed? Any fix?
Had the same issue in my family's f generation 3 GT. Both developed this issue in the taillamp in the boot section. Lamps were replaced under warranty as the cars are under BMW secure. Have noticed the same on f series of X1 also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks