Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2022, 16:17   #1
BHPian

BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps

Both rear led lights have bunch of bugs trapped in them. Shouldn’t this be sealed? Any fix?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps-bc06a29c1967475e99f74fa9078e80ec.jpeg  

BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps-8ae72c5cc3a04a299e35782fd7951149.jpeg  

Last edited by adi58 : 23rd November 2022 at 16:23.
adi58 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:44   #2
BANNED

re: BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Both rear led lights have bunch of bugs trapped in them. Shouldn’t this be sealed? Any fix?
These are not sealed so as to allow any condensation to evaporate. I have had the same thing happen on my X1(bugs trapped in tail lights), and the service technician removed the light and got the bugs out. Seems like a common occurrence looking at his expertise in this matter. Especially considering I had not noticed anything and they took care of it on their own.
agambhandari is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Wow.. never seen this even in my earlier cars (non-BMWs). I just ran to my X4 and checked (as it is parked in an open farm kinda place now), and did not find a gap. All lights are sealed. Not sure if I missed anything though.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 07:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Both rear led lights have bunch of bugs trapped in them.
Please mention what model & model year your BMW is... is it the X1 mentioned in your profile?
Rehaan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 12:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Please mention what model & model year your BMW is... is it the X1 mentioned in your profile?
I’m sorry but how is the model & year connected to this problem? Shouldn’t the quality be standard across all the models? Or few models are designed to get bugs inside lights and others don’t?

Last edited by adi58 : 24th November 2022 at 12:31.
Old 24th November 2022, 12:50   #6
BANNED

Quote:
I’m sorry but how is the model & year connected to this problem? Shouldn’t the quality be standard across all the models? Or few models are designed to get bugs inside lights and others don’t?
It is helpful so that people can share their experience and we come to know which models are affected. The title of this thread is a very blanket statement that doesnt help at all.

BTW, the tail lights are well sealed at front but have openings at the back, which can be seen by taking off the panels on the backside(in tailgate), there is enough space to get them out.
This is not a quality problem but a design flaw.
agambhandari is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 14:53   #7
BHPian

Wow, I've never seen this in any car let alone a beamer. I would have assumed product design would consider situations like this, seems it didn't cross their minds at all!

Last edited by Sheel : 28th November 2022 at 09:53. Reason: Please do not type with dots, request you to punctuate instead. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2022, 15:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So that it can be highlighted better (other owners who may not have noticed might check and respond) and also to see if this is an issue specific to a particular model or batch of cars from BMW. More people and relevant replies in short, usually comes with specific details in an online community. i.e if you are expecting it.

PS: Details always helps and does not mean trivialising the issue.
Jaggu is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 16:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Haven't faced this issue in the E60 525D or F30 328i that we sold at 9 & 10 years of age respectively, though did face this on our W211 E270 headlights, as did a friend on his W211.

Ideally the rear lights should be sealed units : should have it opened and checked out once to make sure there aren't any gaps or so due to age / changing of bulbs, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 16:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Every BMW has a different light design. If we know the model we can make out if its this particular design that is faulty. It won't be across all models of BMW for sure. That's ridiculous to think that every BMW light has a hole inside it.

Moreover your pic is zoomed in and we don't even know which part of the light has the problem.

Thirdly the bugs may not be inside the cluster but in the gap between the body panel and the light cluster.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 11:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Please mention what model & model year your BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Every BMW has a different light design.
So some models might be bugged by design or have a design bug?
navin is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 16:20   #12
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps

Quote:
WOW ! I had the exact same issue in my magnite. The rear right tail lamp had bugs inside. I was under the impression it's supposed to be a sealed unit and had never faced this issue before in any of the cars I have owned. The service center too had never seen this and after 3-4 months of followup the tail lamp was replaced by them ( I kept saying it's supposed to be a sealed unit and Nissan never said it's not ! Had I known it's not a sealed unit I would have been fine with them just cleaning it )
Old 26th November 2022, 18:47   #13

I have the same thing in my VW Polo (MY 2020). Noticed it way back when it was new. Never thought that this wasn’t common. The only change being that I have mosquitoes instead of bugs. Haven’t raised it with anyone yet since I’m not facing any problems with it so far (condensation or so).
Vaishak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 23:56   #14
BHPian

Quality problems is not limited to just the lights. My car is barely 3 years old yet showing age of 10.

Plastic cladding paint coming off. This is not scratch or damage.
BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps-28cd4e120d7145859a47c8febd6a8e3d.jpeg

Leather steering paint coming off
BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps-dd3142bf2ae04ca984b93ac81ff9eddc.jpeg
BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps-4019494d11ae4aa4a1927f8e10353a28.jpeg

And the most prominent door handle melting. Almost all BMW’s are affected over a decade yet they continue to put substandard materials.
BMW X1 Quality Problems | Bugs trapped inside LED tail-lamps-af94cd4636014b84acd0caad8e057ddf.jpeg

Mods please change the title so that it’s not just about the lights.
adi58 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 08:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Quality problems are not limited to just the lights. My car is barely 3 years old yet showing the age of 10.

Plastic cladding paint coming off. This is not scratch or damage.
Attachment 2384281

Leather steering paint coming off
Attachment 2384282
Attachment 2384283

And the most prominent door handle melting. Almost all BMWs are affected over a decade yet they continue to put substandard materials.
Attachment 2384284

Mods please change the title so that it’s not just about the lights.
I think your car just needs some detailing work, mainly plastic restorer and would look much better. The Greying out of plastic can easily be fixed by any detail. Also, this sort of thing is common in any car that gets regular exposure to the hot sun. Try changing the parking spot if possible, that much help.
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks