Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2004, 14:39   #1
Vin
BHPian

Hey guys,
i have been trying to get in touch with the mahindra people through email,
been trying to ask them is it is possible to purchase the export quality classic in india,
but got no response
many of u guys are mumbai based,
can you help me out,
thanks in advance .....
cheers
Old 28th June 2004, 15:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vin,

The last Mahindra Classic rolled out of the production lines in end-1998...and Mahindra has stopped manufacturing the chassis completely, thereafter. You cannot source a brand new Classic from Mahindra. The export quality you speak of applied to all Classics as this model was developed specifically for the UK and some European countries.

If you are really keen on getting a Classic, I can help you in any way possible. You should be able to source a fairly well-maintained second hand piece for 1.25 - 1.50 lacs. Spend another 1.5 lacs on totally rejuvenating it and you have a "piece" for 3 lacs.

Keep one thing in mind. Though Classics are amazingly reliable (havent had a breakdown yet in 90000 kms myself), there is always some niggling thing here and there to take care of. Buy one only if you have a lot of time and money to invest in her.

GTO
Old 28th June 2004, 20:21   #3
Vin
BHPian

well mahindra says the bolero invader is a much better vehicle than the classic,
http://www.mahindra-bolero.com
checked out the site - the looks are pretty avrg,
lets see ....
i have asked for a test drive tomorrow,

will keep u posted
Old 28th June 2004, 21:49   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
well mahindra says the bolero invader is a much better vehicle than the classic,
Isnt it logical for them to say that, since they cant offer you a Classic?

GTO
Old 28th June 2004, 22:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

You could even try an MM550. It dosen't look quite as good as a Classic, but, is equally capable and has a lot of potential for customization. It's also available with the Bolero 2.5L, 72.5bhp engine. The military spec ones are fabulous.

More on the MM Range

Old 29th June 2004, 14:17   #6
Vin
BHPian

the MM550 is good .... but did you check out the specs of the invader ....
what do you think of that
actually my problem is i need a proper offroader,
but the place im going .. there i cant afford to have any sort of problems with the jeep since the nearest mechanic or petrol pump will be 75 kms,
so i need to buy a new jeep ..
Old 29th June 2004, 14:43   #7
Vin
BHPian

GTO,
since you live in mumbai so i cant ask for your help personally but tell me what all things should i keep in mind when i go to buy a classic, we do get second hand reconditioned classics here,
what should i check when i see the jeep ....
do reply,
Vin
Old 29th June 2004, 15:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vin,

These checks are most important when you are picking up a Classic. I take it that reliability is key since you will be away from any service stations.

1. Get the engine compression checked to see how strong the engine is.

2. The Electricals. Very important even though the circuitry is very very simple. O.E. wiring is a must and not too many alterations should be present.

3. Drive a couple of Jeeps. It will help you to gauge between well-maintained and poorly kept vehicles.

4. Rust : The number 1 enemy for older Mahindras. The bonnet line, fenders, front face and interior flooring are most prone to rust. The radiator also has a not-so-long life.

5. Overheating : Go for a long drive (atleast 50 kms round trip). Overheating issues in the Classic are not that easy to settle. Also make sure that the vehicle is able to start after a long drive.

Feel free to ask me anything specific to a Jeep you may have checked out

GTO
Old 13th March 2006, 16:33   #9

MM classic

hi folks i am from bangalore and i own a black mm classic 97 and just joined the group some of gtos reviews and comments from other members were great and i joined up the group so that i could connect up with a few other jeepers and also so that i could look for some expert advise from long term owners
Old 31st March 2006, 09:13   #10

Hi Guys I'm Sandy I just want to know where can I get a good M&m Classic 4X4. Could Anyone help in getting one. My budget is around 1.5 lacs and will do with any registration. Please let me know....
Old 30th December 2009, 18:39   #11
Mahesh Dewan

Hello Guys, I have been driving my Skoda Octavia for last 3 years.. now i am thinking to buy a Jeep... Can some one advise me which Jeep would be the best choice for me. My budget is around 5 Lakhs. I was interested in Mahindra Classic, but just learnt from GTO's review that Mahindra stopped manufacturing this baby a decade ago.. Appreciate your response.
Mahesh Dewan

Old 30th December 2009, 19:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

guys wait for the autoexpo next month in delhi and you will see a new offroad 4WD vehicle by MM!

keep your cash ready!
Old 31st December 2009, 09:10   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
keep your cash ready!
+1 to that and if it is properly equipped with creature comforts and cruising capability, this could well be India's own Jeep Wrangler. Fingers and toes crossed.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:28   #14
BHPian

Heres what i would do:
Phase I: buy a second hand MM540 with working 4WD. I saw one last week in decent condition for just 45k! plonk in a Bolero type CRDe engine. Even the 72Bhp DI engine should be decent.

Phase II: Do up the interiors to "look" like the CL: jazzy seats, bullbars,paintjob etc.

A trained eye will ofcourse spot the difference but should be good enuff for more than just mall-bashing.
Old 31st December 2009, 15:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

If only there was a cheap way to export these from the UK back to India. You can find ok examples for a few hundred pounds every now and then on ebay in the UK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks