Old 31st May 2023, 02:04   #241
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon Facelift launch in September 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A close look at Tata Nexon's new 2-spoke steering wheel

Attachment 2456551

Link to Team-BHP News
I am more concerned that the panels/parts dont align correctly. Something I hate about Tata Qc.
Old 31st May 2023, 02:37   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
I am more concerned that the panels/parts dont align correctly. Something I hate about Tata Qc.
It's an optical illusion I think, the centre portion is set deeper than the side button/controls.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 08:18   #243
BHPian

Even though the steering screen thingy looks gimmicky, it does stand out. But considering the safety concerns I am not sure if this is worth that much.

And it seems the steering-mounted controls are touch-sensitive buttons which I think will be a bummer, I prefer tactile clicks.

Also, where do they plan to place the horn pad? Will it also be similar to the newer Tesla's touch-sensitive turn signals? Or do we press/touch the screen which also already looks like a dust/fingerprint magnet

Cheers!
Aswin
aswin93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:24   #244

I was already tired of seeing screens popping up everywhere in the new generation of cars and now this . Pretty much the last place I expected to see a screen. You have screens that replaced physical gauge clusters, screens in place of A/C knobs and audio controls, and now a damned screen to display a logo. What's up with this obsession over screens?!

Seems like the days of good old fashioned touchable logos are numbered. On the plus side, the new Nexon will be getting a new petrol engine so that's interesting.
RaceCyborg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 10:46   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Tata Nexon's illuminated steering wheel logo in action
Is it just me or anyone else see two small buttons at the bottom on left and right side?
Old 31st May 2023, 11:24   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
And it seems the steering-mounted controls are touch-sensitive buttons which I think will be a bummer, I prefer tactile clicks.

Also, where do they plan to place the horn pad? Will it also be similar to the newer Tesla's touch-sensitive turn signals? Or do we press/touch the screen which also already looks like a dust/fingerprint magnet

The steering mounted controls are physical buttons on both sides of this screen/panel. Check in this post:
Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCyborg View Post
I was already tired of seeing screens popping up everywhere in the new generation of cars and now this . Pretty much the last place I expected to see a screen. You have screens that replaced physical gauge clusters, screens in place of A/C knobs and audio controls, and now a damned screen to display a logo. What's up with this obsession over screens?!

Seems like the days of good old fashioned touchable logos are numbered. On the plus side, the new Nexon will be getting a new petrol engine so that's interesting.
I don't think it is a touch screen in the first place. It seems to be a dark piano black transparent plastic panel which will show the Tata logo when illuminated underneath. It may act as a horn-pad which is surely going to be a fingerprint magnet. The question about airbag still remains unanswered though.

Last edited by Knightrider : 31st May 2023 at 11:27.
Knightrider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 11:28   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I don't think it is a touch screen in the first place. It seems to be a dark piano black plastic panel which will show the Tata logo when illuminated underneath. It may act as a horn-pad which is surely going to be a fingerprint magnet. The question about airbag still remains unanswered though.
From the word go - I believe its a plastic panel with small LED chip-set underneath. In which case - an airbag under it - hardly makes any difference. Only concern will be if it was glass & even TaMo can be presumed to be that much considerate.

Remember - even today - the airbag is behind thick plastic horn-pad with a chrome plated logo, both of which can potentially break apart and cause minor / major facial injuries in the event of air-bag deployment - if the driver was born on Friday the 13th, on a moonless night.

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st May 2023 at 11:30.
Reinhard is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:24   #248
Senior - BHPian

So on one side we are using LED lights and screens at totally unnecessary points - Steering wheel with illuminated logo?

And on the other side we are inflating car prices and blaming them on semiconductor chip shortages?
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 13:13   #249
BHPian

I personally believe that the current steering wheel unit is much better looking. The illuminated logo is very cheesy too and am not a big fan of it. They should rather look at designs that are more pleasing to the eye. These sort of stuff doesn't age well.
Phantom 510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 13:16   #250
Senior - BHPian

I like touching the emblem on the steering hub, that's my way of twiddling in traffic jams.

That said, will Tata do a Rolls Royce and provide a 'static' emblem on the steering wheel hub ?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 14:19   #251
Senior - BHPian

In fact I'd like the screen to be hidden away elegantly and not 'pop' up
Quote:
I was already tired of seeing screens popping up everywhere in the new generation of cars and now this
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:01   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Nexon's illuminated steering wheel logo in action
That looks uber-cool yet wrong in so many ways.

1) Air Bag?
2) Driver Distraction? Explaining to cop

& My biggest concern being...

3) Accidents because the Human mind doesnt want to disturb the screen orientation because it was fixated at looking at something. Its something like 2-3 guys seeing, say IPL on one guys phone. The guys on the left and right want to tilt the screen towards them, the guy in center either had to adjust his neck or involuntarily his brain will resist to turn the screen away from his line of sight. If the brain gets fixated at something on the LCD display on the car, say you are trying to change radio or call some contact and you are trying to view it on the display - and you are approaching a turn, where is the study on such situation? What if the brain says dont turn?

Not sure if TATA has thought this new 'unique' feature all the way through. Pray nothing wrong happens in future...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:19   #253

Quote:
The SUV is rumoured to get Tata's new 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine producing 122 BHP and 225 Nm.
Quote:
On the plus side, the new Nexon will be getting a new petrol engine so that's interesting.
I am confused.

Almost every news article claims that the Nexon will be getting the new T-GDi engine. But, doesn't the official interviews given by the senior management and product development heads contradict the above claims made by news agencies?

IIRC, in those interviews they clearly state that the new engines will debut with the Curvv and the Sierra.
mega_wattt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_wattt View Post
I am confused.

Almost every news article claims that the Nexon will be getting the new T-GDi engine. But, doesn't the official interviews given by the senior management and product development heads contradict the above claims made by news agencies?

IIRC, in those interviews they clearly state that the new engines will debut with the Curvv and the Sierra.
There is no official comment on the Nexon facelift yet.

But, Mohan Savarkar, VP, Product Line, Tata Motors, had said in an interview that 1.2 GDi will make its debut with the Curvv.

1.5 GDi will go to Harrier/ Safari.

He didn't give much about their introduction in sub 4 metre cars.

Answer starts at 2:18.

ashutoshb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 12:06   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
There is no official comment on the Nexon facelift yet.

But, Mohan Savarkar, VP, Product Line, Tata Motors, had said in an interview that 1.2 GDi will make its debut with the Curvv.
And as other members have already pointed out that why would Tata invest in upgrading the current engine to BS6 Phase 2 norms when:-
1. They are only using it in 1 model.
2. They will discontinue it after a few months.
3. Even if they plan to use it in Altroz Racer, I doubt it will sell in numbers anywhere close to what Nexon is doing.

It doesn't make sense from the business point of view.

But, I still don't understand that why does every news agency keep saying otherwise.

Maybe they have some insider info and Tata officials lied in those interviews.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks