Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2023, 22:26   #16
BHPian

Re: How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?

Well, it so happens that on some Sundays, many of the BHPians in and around Calcutta catch up for breakfast at any one of our preferred joints. This happens so regularly that we don't post it on the meet section of TBHP any more - usually we coordinate over phone.

Yesterday was one such Sunday - 11 of us met for breakfast at The Wise Owl, which is one of the better cafes in town for an English breakfast.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-whatsapp-image-20230430-1.11.25-pm.jpeg

The best part is that they serve authentic and excellent ham and not the total abomination called chicken ham which is in vogue these days (pray tell, how can ham be chicken? One comes from a mammal and is red meat and the other comes from a bird and is white meat. But then there's also vegan meat, so I am really lost with these new definitions).

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-whatsapp-image-20230501-9.41.03-pm.jpeg

Apart from attending Team (Food)BHP programs, I also use my Sundays for short trips with family or friends with the odd movie/eating out experience thrown in for good measure.

However, trips always take precedence and sometimes can happen on a whim with little or no prior planning. Like, last Saturday, the better half and I decided on a whim to drive down to Gadiara on the Sunday following. Gadiara is a nice but somewhat basic riverside destination about 75 kms from Calcutta, located at the confluence of the Rupnarayan and Ganges (Hooghly). It is still relatively unspoilt and clean and is a good place for a day or overnight trip.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-gadiara.jpg

My better half had done a day trip earlier and had retained the number of the resort (Chalantika) she had been to, and after a quick call to confirm room availability and cost, followed by a token advance, our plan was finalized.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-whatsapp-image-20230501-9.41.02-pm.jpeg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-whatsapp-image-20230430-7.05.26-pm.jpeg

Her mother, sister and sister's daughter also joined us, so it became a family outing. We were also a bit lucky with the weather as the oppressive heat was washed away by an intense thundershower right after we reached.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-whatsapp-image-20230430-7.05.24-pm.jpeg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-whatsapp-image-20230430-7.05.25-pm.jpeg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-whatsapp-image-20230501-9.45.40-pm.jpeg

All things considered, it was a great Sunday and I'm looking forward to another Sunday sojourn soon.
Neversaygbye is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 23:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Usually, any car-related work is also carried out on Sundays, be it basic things like a wheel alignment and balancing session or something bigger like detailing work.
Yes! Our wheel alignments and balancings are also done on sundays
As a 17 year old and also from Hyderabad, I can relate to this post very well, although having been done with 12th, I'm currently spared of the schoolwork
jono213 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 12:48   #18
BHPian

Reading all these posts is giving me FOMO. I do absolutely NOTHING on Sundays. Other than the occasional temple visit and/or meal in a restaurant.

I'm now inspired to:
  1. Personally clean my car (I used to do this before moving to Mumbai in Jan 2020)
  2. Head out for a lovely brunch
  3. Go on a long drive
  4. Engage in a hobby (Swimming, cycling, beach-runs)
cityslicker86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 15:22   #19
BHPian

Well Sundays for me are for taking care of my garden, I frequently wash my vehicles (at times twice/thrice) in a day (Maybe OCD?) so Sunday's aren't different but yes visiting nurseries around Pune to spot any new type of flowering plant/variety that catches my eye. I have the liberty to add as many plants as I want so its been possible for me. Apart from garden care I would visit secluded spots on the old Mumbai-Pune Highway and spend some time there with my wife. Lately all the time is being spent with the new born, planning to do so more short rides with her soon.
indie_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:18   #20
BHPian

For a bunch of us Mumbaikars, Sunday is the day to drive our classic beauties. A bunch of us meet around 8 am at our usual haunt, Starbucks - Horniman Circle, and then go for a drive on the Eastern Express freeway, which is one of the nicer roads in Mumbai.

After the drive we head back to Starbucks, where even more late comers gather with their classic beauties. Usual breakfast is Brun Maska and chai from the Irani cafe Yazdani, followed by another coffee at Starbucks for some car talk in air conditioned comfort.

Our group is known as CDG - Classic Drive Group - a very informal bunch of like minded people from various age groups sharing a common passion.

Pics from our drives are usually posted here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/classicdrivegroup

and

https://instagram.com/cdgmumbai?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by manishk123 : 2nd May 2023 at 16:30.
manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:20   #21
BHPian

It is a routine for me to clean my car and bike on every sunday.

Since there is a construction in progress in adjacent site i need to clean my vehicle more often. Earlier used to dust if off using Jopasu Duster and then if the car is too dirty then wash with one bucket water and dry it using microfiber cloth.

Since last 6 months i need to clean it with water as the dust accumulates heavily and duster isnt doing any justice.

Sometimes it so happens that i need to attend other chores and i delay the cleaning of vehicles.

Generally sunday noon is spent inside house post lunch and evening a round for a cup of cofffee.
Oppanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 19:46   #22
BHPian

Well Sundays are usually rest days from Cult and I try to do something different usually.

Last Sunday was a trip to Murugan idli shop to Krishnagiri along with a short visit to the nearby dam.

This Sunday, went for a small drive (75km) and a hike to the Savandurga Hill. An interesting hike on purely rock massifs which, while interesting, is pretty easy. Of course, there were folks who tried to act stupid and injured themselves.
Pre-lunch is devoted to reading newspapers.
Lunch is either at a nice restaurant or a new eatery if not at home.

Evenings, I read for a couple of hours (reading a book by Peter James which seems pretty average) and then play a few boardgames (Splendour, Cryptid, etc.) with friends.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 21:29   #23
BHPian

Beautiful thread and many thanks, as it makes me go back in time. Started working since 1987 (Navy) and must say that changing to 5 day week was the best thing Shri Rajeev Gandhi did. Even some corporates started this a few years back. Suddenly sunday became busier than week days. Pre mobile/internet days my Sunday used to be writing/replying letters. Idling around and relaxing. In 90s there used to be movie on TV (5pm) and myself being in Kochi used to watch Mohanlal/ Mammootty movies and learn Malayalam. Life was so simple and peaceful. Would be glad to go back any time. Till to date I do nothing and sleep in the afternoon except cleaning of car in the morning.
sukhbirST is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great thread! Currently, my Sunday routine includes getting up early and going for a ride to my favorite piece of twisties just so that I can try to use up those tyres end to end. Its usually a 160kms round trip. My current busy schedule means that long rides has taken a back seat and now this concentrated dose of adrenaline keeps me going for the rest of the week.
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, this was last Sunday. Happy that way...

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-1.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-2.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 06:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Well, it so happens that on some Sundays, many of the BHPians in and around Calcutta catch up for breakfast at any one of our preferred joints. This happens so regularly that we don't post it on the meet section of TBHP any more - usually we coordinate over phone.
When meet ups become a habit, that's so good to know. Whenever i get to settle down near Kolkata, my first to do list will be joining this esteem group.

My Sundays are basically random in nature. But general outlines are:
1. Deciding to Sleeping to my heart's content. (and yes somehow I end waking up early, completely reverse)

2. Trying to read and learn about stock markets. I am trying to complete corporate finance by Prof Aswath Damodaran, but it's very confusing. Also, if any BHPians can guide me about how to be a good investor, I will be grateful.

3. Going to Subji Mandi. The view of a bustling market with fresh veggies makes me excited. I tend to take 4-5 empty bags. Result- my refrigerator gets overloaded. My maid gets frustated every Sunday evening. And I grin

4. Reading reddit and Teambhp. I can't express how much great these communities are!
5. Some calls and chit chat.
6. Downloading more ebooks with a future intention to read, don't know when!
iampulo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 15:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampulo View Post
When meet ups become a habit, that's so good to know. Whenever i get to settle down near Kolkata, my first to do list will be joining this esteem group.
We'll be happy to add you to the group - let us know once you're in Cal. In fact we are again meeting for breakfast this Saturday!
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks