Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda deletes parking lights from their new cars

The other day I was trying to switch on the parking lights of the City Hybrid. The lights come on as intended but as soon as I lock the car and walk away they shutdown.

How do you leave the parking lights on the City Hybrid, anyone tried this.

Last edited by Traveler : 25th April 2023 at 18:05.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 18:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The other day I was trying to switch on the parking lights of the City Hybrid. The lights come on as intended but as soon as I lock the car and walk away they shutdown.

How do you leave the parking lights on the Coty Hybrid, anyone tried this.
Try this: switch ON - OFF - ON the parking lights and then lock the car. This is how it works in some cars.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 22:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Try this: switch ON - OFF - ON the parking lights and then lock the car. This is how it works in some cars.
No joy. I tried but the lights turn off exactly after 15 seconds.

What I did discover is that if you don't lock the car the lights stay on. Very strange as it defeats the purpose of having parking lights.
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 10:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
No joy. I tried but the lights turn off exactly after 15 seconds.

What I did discover is that if you don't lock the car the lights stay on. Very strange as it defeats the purpose of having parking lights.
You need to go in the Settings Menu of the MID. There you will find an option called Headlight Auto Off Timer, it has 3 settings 15 sec, 30 sec and 60 sec. Set it to your preference and then the lights won't go off. Timer will calculate time after switching the car off.
Service centre technicians generally turn this feature off in every service and I have to activate it again and again.
Old 28th April 2023, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush812 View Post
You need to go in the Settings Menu of the MID. There you will find an option called Headlight Auto Off Timer, it has 3 settings 15 sec, 30 sec and 60 sec. Set it to your preference and then the lights won't go off. Timer will calculate time after switching the car off.
Service centre technicians generally turn this feature off in every service and I have to activate it again and again.
Thanks, I know about that setting. It is for headlights. My query is for parking lights. Parking lights should be independent of headlights and should remain on if one wants.

Apparently Honda City 5th Generation does not allow this. Headlight and Parking both go off one the car is locked.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 10:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excuse the back to back post and the rant.

Honda India have confirmed to me on email that the parking lights on the Honda City Hybrid do not remain on once you lock the car.

It quite amusing to know that they claim that this is done on basis of some study they conducted. Apparently all 5th Generation Honda City's have the same behaviour as well. I guess we don't need parking lights anymore, they could have saved some cost and removed them altogether.

So please be prepared to not have parking lights in your Honda City.

What is appaling is Honda's stubborn attitude to acknowledge the issue, instead they are hiding behind canned statements and some dubious study(probably nonnexisting) that they refuse to share. They admin that the ECU is programmed like that. (So it could be a easy fix, IMHO)

Their own 4th Generation City and all other cars have this working properly and I believe all cars globally have the function of a working parking light that can be turned on and remain on even after you lock the car.

Honda however does not and is totally deaf to even listen to customers feedback, let alone provide a fix.

Apart from this we all know of the pathetic shaking LED headlamps and the less than candle light fog lamps whose light throw finishes before it starts.
Traveler is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 12:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:

How do you leave the parking lights on the City Hybrid, anyone tried this.
I don't think the new Honda has parking light anymore. It's referred to as daytime running lights and seems to be only suitable for that and not for parking (as it switches off while parking). Maybe we can try writing to Honda requesting them to allow DRL to stay on when the car is turned off (by adding an option in the settings). This should theoretically be possible by a software upgrade.
Old 30th April 2023, 12:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
I don't think the new Honda has parking light anymore. It's referred to as daytime running lights and seems to be only suitable for that and not for parking (as it switches off while parking). Maybe we can try writing to Honda requesting them to allow DRL to stay on when the car is turned off (by adding an option in the settings). This should theoretically be possible by a software upgrade.
The parking lights are definitely there. If you switch them on and don't lock the car then they remain on. It is a programming bug which Honda refused to acknowledge.
Old 30th April 2023, 12:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The parking lights are definitely there. If you switch them on and don't lock the car then they remain on. It is a programming bug which Honda refused to acknowledge.
The lights are there, what I meant is that they call it DRL (which you can manually turn on), and they don't refer to it as parking lights because they no longer intend for it to be used as parking lights when the car is locked.
Old 30th April 2023, 12:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
The lights are there, what I meant is that they call it DRL (which you can manually turn on), and they don't refer to it as parking lights because they no longer intend for it to be used as parking lights when the car is locked.
They may be called DRL, doesn't matter. The light stalk has a position for parking lights and the manual also states the same as position lights.

The very fact that they remain on if you don't lock the car means that there is an ECU programming bug which is turning them off along with the headlights.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 09:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Excuse the back to back post and the rant.

Honda India have confirmed to me on email that the parking lights on the Honda City Hybrid do not remain on once you lock the car.
It's not a programming bug, the same behavior exists on the CRV as well, on all international versions. It's designed to preserve battery life where people mistakenly leave lights on. As per Honda, if you need lights after locking, you need to use the hazard blinkers to let others know.

Last edited by TheCatalyst : 7th May 2023 at 09:20.
TheCatalyst is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 10:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
It's not a programming bug, the same behavior exists on the CRV as well, on all international versions. It's designed to preserve battery life where people mistakenly leave lights on. As per Honda, if you need lights after locking, you need to use the hazard blinkers to let others know.
If thats the case then they should mention it somewhere. They did not give me this answer even when I raised a complaint with them. I even spoke to them and they were beating about the bush.

Do you know if Honda states this clearly anywhere?There is no mention about the battery running out or hazard warning to be used instead of parking in the owners manual.
Old 7th May 2023, 12:25   #13
BHPian

For someone who uses parking lights religiously this is a shocker. Parking lights are an important safety feature as they improves visibility of your car for other road users in dark/night conditions when parked on the side of the road, especially if its a darker coloured car. So it makes no sense for honda to remove it. If it was designed to conserve battery then they should have opted for the VW route of enabling lights on flanks only via the indicator stalk.
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 12:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
For someone who uses parking lights religiously this is a shocker. Parking lights are an important safety feature as they improves visibility of your car for other road users in dark/night conditions when parked on the side of the road, especially if its a darker coloured car. So it makes no sense for honda to remove it. If it was designed to conserve battery then they should have opted for the VW route of enabling lights on flanks only via the indicator stalk.
That's what I have been telling Honda. Spoke to them 3 times and gave a written complaint also. But Honda is totally stoic and unwilling to do anything. They are even unwilling to share the so called study that they claim resulted in this behaviour.

I am.unaware of any vehicle worldwide that has its parking lights switch off once the vehicle is locked.

Pure callous attitude on Honda's part.

Another thing.... their most premium eHEV City does not even have a web /pdf version of the owners manual in the Honda Connnect App. I raised this issue as well and met with the same response.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 07:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda deletes parking lights from their new cars

Honda deletes parking lights from their new cars - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks