Team-BHP - What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2659-what-your-actual-fuel-efficiency-376.html)

2010 i20 CRDi
4 medium sized people. Total distance travelled - 1300 kms
Mileage - 19.5kmpl
80% Highway(4Lane) 20% City,Rural roads
Speeds on highway- 90 to 120 kmph

Over the last weekend did a 754kms round trip to my native place, Malegaon & Dhule from Pune in my TUV3OO. Before the trip did a tankful and when I returned, dash was still showing DTE of 125kms. Did another tankful from the same bunk (with auto cutoff) and the tank gulped 50 litres of diesel (for 754 kms) giving me a mileage of 15.08 kmpl, not bad for a 1.6 tonner. Speeds maintained were 90-100kmph for most part of the trip and 99% of the road was highway. During the onward journey I was alone and during the return, my parents accompanied me with their luggage.

2019 October Innova Crysta GX Mannual
Currently Odo at 15700km. Above 12 figures are highway drive.

Mileage
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-ml.jpg

Rs / Km chart
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-rs.jpg

2019 March - WagonR 1.2 AMT - 14000 Kms (Now sold). Sparingly used and drove less than 2000 Kms in the last 2 years due to Lockdowns.
City 14 Kmpl
Highway - 17 Kmpl

2019 Dec - Dzire AMT - 9000 Kms
City - 15.5 Kmpl
Highway - 18.5 Kmpl

2021 March Tiago AMT - 7500 Kms
City - 12 Kmpl
Highway - We just made one trip last year and do not remember as we use Dzire for all of our outstation trips

Car: Mahindra XUV300 Diesel Manual
Occupancy: 2 passengers (including driver)
Usage Split: 70% Highway, 20% City, 10% Ghats
Speeds: 90-110kmph

Name:  AFE Graph.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  51.8 KB

Despite settling at around 100kmph for most of my highway drives, the AFE by T2T method hasn't been above 17kmpl for most parts. I believe this is due to a practice of getting up to speeds quickly because of that addictive 300Nm torque. Something for me to correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakumar (Post 5248455)
Car: Mahindra XUV300 Diesel Manual
Usage Split: 70% Highway, 20% City, 10% Ghats
Speeds: 90-110kmph

Attachment 2267711

Despite settling at around 100kmph for most of my highway drives, the AFE by T2T method hasn't been above 17kmpl for most parts. I believe this is due to a practice of getting up to speeds quickly because of that addictive 300Nm torque. Something for me to correct.

Xuv300 is among the least fuel efficient cars running on a 1500cc diesel. My acquaintance owns one and reports fuel efficiency as low as 12kmpl when driven spiritedly.

Weight of the xuv300 also plays a role here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagr22 (Post 5247844)

=============
Overall trip mileage (Blr - Hyd - Blr) as per tank full method was 22kmpl.

For a CVT these are really fantastic fuel economy figures. Kudos.

I dont keep track of my Car's FE, not in my current car (Creta 2018 model which does not automatically give me this information on the dashboard) nor in my earlier car. My point was, you have already bought the car, what good does it do to you to know exactly how much mileage you get to a liter of fuel? What will you do with that information? Can it help you in anyway? If its giving you 20kmpl, it will give you 20kmpl, if it is giving you 10kmpl, it will give you 10 kmpl, irrespective of you keeping a track of it, or not. So I have never kept track of my the fuel efficiency of mileage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtonsing (Post 5248595)
what good does it do to you to know exactly how much mileage you get to a liter of fuel? What will you do with that information? Can it help you in anyway?

A lot of things can be done with the information. AFE is one of the key metrics to ascertain running cost for a vehicle and not keeping track of it just doesn't make sense, purely from a financial standpoint. If I were to make some plans then knowing how much I should budget for fuel expenses is a good to know factor.

Also, the AFE isn't constant during the lifetime of a car. Which is exactly why tracking it over a period of time is necessary. You don't need to do it very often. But doing it twice or thrice in a year will give you an idea of where things are.

Your AFE will go down if there is anything inefficient about your car. Because if there are higher energy losses, it just needs more fuel to get the same job done. If you see large variations all of a sudden, then it might be worthwhile to get the car inspected at a service station or get a general servicing done.

The AFE can also highlight the differences in fuel quality or fuel pump authenticity. If you see the graph I posted earlier, one of the data points show a stark variation between MID and T2T. It is likely that the fuel meter registered a higher volume artificially than what was actually refuelled. I keep a track of fuel stations as well when I record these datapoints and now that's a pump that I'd avoid for sure.

But apart from all of the above, it's purely out of interest to be honest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakumar (Post 5248741)
But apart from all of the above, it's purely out of interest to be honest.

Thanks and I see your point. And perhaps it makes sense in a way. But your last line says it all lol:. I am just not bothered or not interested to spend time in knowing this information - actually, I have no use for the information that I would have gathered.
My line of work is primarily desk bound and I have been working from home even before Covid. So my almost 4 years old car has run less than 35K kms. Usage is such that it just doesnt make sense for me

Car: Toyota Corolla Altis D4D G
Usage Split: 90% Highway, 10% City
Speeds: 80-100kmph
Fuel Efficiency: 28.10 kmpl

I recently went to Beed from Aurangabad and almost the entire way is 4 lane highway with very little traffic. Since I wasn't in a hurry, I thought to myself, why not see how much mileage I can get out of the car, so I drove the car at a leisurely pace of around 80 kmpl, making sure not to take the car over 2000 RPM, when the turbo gets engaged. At the end of the journey (of about 170 kilometres) the car's MID was showing fuel efficiency of 28.10 kilometres, which is amazing considering the car has a rated fuel efficiency of around 21.43 kilometres. I compared this to the distance to empty shown by the car at the beginning of the journey and at the end, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the MID reading was accurate.

These Toyotas are definitely something else.

Car: Maruti Ciaz RS
Engine: 1.4 VVT (Petrol)
Usage: Ring Road(Moving traffic, barely any halt from point A to point B)
Speeds: 40-60kmph
Fuel Efficiency: 16.8 kmpl

The Ciaz has been a good beater as it just so frugal! over 1.3lakh kms have been clocked and although engine is underpowered, feels at home in 5th gear at 60kmph.

Car : Honda Amaze V CVT 2019 Petrol

Getting 7-8 kmpl in Mumbai Traffic conditions . Under mixed driving conditions- geting 10-12 kmpl.

In Recent drive to Kolhapur from Mumbai, got average of 18kmpl for a total of 800 kms.

Car: Tiago XZA+ (P) - Aug 2021
Odo: Closing in on 10K kms

Usage: Suburban roads of MH, usually with Driver + 1 passenger and AC ON
Fuel Efficiency: 14-16 kmpl

Usage: Highway trip from Pune to Goa via Amboli, with 2 passengers + luggage and AC ON
Speeds: 80-90 kmph
Fuel Efficiency: 17.75 kmpl (Got around 16.5 kmpl on the return leg, which was reasonable considering the uphill drive and much more spirited driving in Manual mode)

I always do tankful to tankful and have observed the FE to be in the range of 16-18 kmpl on an average. I am expecting further improvement after the first oil change cycle that will be due soon.

Car: Tata Harrier XZ+ - Jan 2022 (Currently in run in period before first service)
Odo: About to hit 1900Kms

Usage so far: 60% Highway and 40% urban

Fuel efficiency on first T2T method (consisting 95% Highway run): 17.2KM/L (MID showed a figure of 18.1 KM/L) for the same stretch

Overall fuel economy as per MID: 17.4 KM/L

A question to all forum members - Any good tools/apps to log fuel records?