Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2004, 14:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ July 30 2004,20:36)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Well Rehaan, don't be so sure. The Getz looks almost exactly like the new Matiz from the rear and also very similar from the side as well. Take a look and judge for yourself!
Hey Rtech,

I meant to say that there was a similarity but it didnt bother me that much after i looked at it again.
But i didnt realise how similar the rears were until i saw ur pics!, but in the flesh its a very good looking car and wont really be confused with the matiz much

cya
R

ps - i really hope there is a CRDI comming!
But the Getz existed long before the new Matiz.!!!!
Old 31st July 2004, 14:51   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]But the Getz existed long before the new Matiz.!!!!
I think its the other way around. Not sure though!
Old 31st July 2004, 14:58   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The new Matiz is just a facelift of the old matiz...which was introduced a long time before the Hyundai Getz.

GTO
Old 31st July 2004, 16:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ July 30 2004,13:51)]They must realise that they really cannot compete effectively in the C+ and above segments. Not yet atleast.
hey rtech

hey bud, aint the elantra a hit???, in hyd elantra diesel is a hit, people prefering it rather than the skoda

and also if i remeber right sonata used to outsell the earlier accord by a 2:1 / 3:1 ratio????
Old 31st July 2004, 18:06   #35
Team-BHP Support

Good point aadix,

I also had mixed feelings when i read Rtechs post.... but i was thinking more along the lines of the fact that Hyundai NEEDS to put out cars in the C+ and above segments because thats how they are building their brand. Ask the average Indian and Hyundai is right up there, partly due to the fact that they are seen as a manufacturer who are capable of putting out cars in the C+ segments etc.

Also aadix's post did bring to mind how well the sonata had sold (or rather, out-sold everything else in that segment). How the elantra sells well i dont really understand but people are strange!

cya
R

Old 31st July 2004, 19:13   #36

My friend has purchased Elantra diesel yesterday despite all my recommendations for Skoda. His reasons - higher ground clearance, better interiors and comfort. Now what do I say.
Old 31st July 2004, 20:37   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

I also had mixed feelings when i read Rtechs post.... but i was thinking more along the lines of the fact that Hyundai NEEDS to put out cars in the C+ and above segments because thats how they are building their brand. Ask the average Indian and Hyundai is right up there, partly due to the fact that they are seen as a manufacturer who are capable of putting out cars in the C+ segments etc.
Hyundai has parked itself in the top 3, right there with Honda and Toyota, in JD's quality studies. That they can effectively package a car is evident with the Santro and the soon to be launched Getz ( which has received good reviews in all of Europe). The only real problem that most of us have with the Santro is its looks...and to make an understated and visually pleasing car is the simplest thing in the world .

Butttttttttttttttttttt as you climb up the ladder, expectations rise tremendously. Hyundai may be up there with Honda and Toyota in the Initial Quality Studies, but the quality is still nowhere close. Powertrains are not refined enough, handling is adequate at best and so on. Hyundai already has presence in the upper luxury segments with the Sonata (in the US too) and it has met with disastrous sales results!! Not only the Sonata, even what was supposed to be their first real luxury car - the XG350 - is hardly selling well, and whatever it sells is because of the longest warranties and cheapest financing.

The strategy of offering more for less works very well in the lower segments (ex. more options at the same price as others less equipped cars) but sales in the luxurious segments require a lot more than just more options. Not too many people would think twice before spending that extra premium toward an Accord than a Sonata.

That aside, Hyundai has entrenched its brand too deep as a value-economy player to be successful in luxury cars. If it wants to move up, its going to have to work toward refinement, luxury and a totally new brand (Eg. Honda to Acura, Toyota to Lexus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]and also if i remeber right sonata used to outsell the earlier accord by a 2:1 / 3:1 ratio?
That was ONLY the initial market response to the Sonata. The success of a product is not gauged on the initial response, but the ability to sustain/grow from those levels. A short while after its launch, Sonata sales totally crashed.

Dont get me wrong, I am one of the biggest admirers of Hyundai as a company.

GTO
Old 31st July 2004, 22:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

btw when was the sonata launched in india?

in 2000?

by the way saw a grey sonata gold today , done 50k kms, grey colour for just 6lacs neg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 1st August 2004, 04:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ July 31 2004,20:40)]by the way saw a grey sonata gold today , done 50k kms, grey colour for just 6lacs neg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rather than going for a 50k done sonata for 6 laks
its more advisible to go for a mondeo 2001 for 6.5 laks ....only if u can afford te expensive spares

also u get 1 or 2 year old vectras for 8 to 9.5 laks
Old 1st August 2004, 14:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

hey dipen, i am not buying, bought a new one just 2.5 months back,
looks like the price of this car is the curtain raiser to toyota's prediction of a used sonata for four lacks soon
Old 2nd August 2004, 12:47   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hey bud, aint the elantra a hit???,
well, thats what the magazines keep saying, but out on the road, I sometimes don't see any for days at a time. Maybe they haven't got their production levels up yet, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Quote
and also if i remeber right sonata used to outsell the earlier accord by a 2:1 / 3:1 ratio?

That was ONLY the initial market response to the Sonata. The success of a product is not gauged on the initial response, but the ability to sustain/grow from those levels. A short while after its launch, Sonata sales totally crashed.
Thats what I meant. The Sonata just does not sell anymore. It have a very low resale value and new Sonata's (base Model) can be bought new for 10 lakhs. At the time when it was launched, it sold well because of the Indian mentality of buying flashy, showy cars. The Old Accord was not a flashy car - thats an understatment! But the new one, well, the sales figures speak for themselves. No one will buy a Hyundai when they can get a Honda for the same price or even a couple of lakhs more. Thats the flat out truth.

Hyundai makes great small cars. Contrary to popular opinion, i like the look of the current Santro, especially the rear. The space inside is great and IMO its a perfect city car. But remember, the expectations of someone spending 4.5 lakhs on a car are way different than the expectations of a person spending 10 lakhs plus.

In this bracket, the intangibles come into play. Things that will not show up during a test drive or even in magazine tests. These small things will show up only after owning a car for a few months. These intangibles are where the better engineered car companies score. Read GTO's report on his Benz. My own experience with the Skoda.

In the long run, its these small engineering details that make you appreaciate the extra money spent at the time of purchase. Basically, it makes you "feel good" about your purchase.

Hyundai is a good company to say the least, but all I'm saying is that they are not yet at the point where they can really compete with the established players. However, there is no doubt that they will reach that point, its just a matter of time. Basically its like watching the Japanese car revolution take place all over again.

Rtech
Old 2nd August 2004, 16:24   #42
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

very true. It makes sense to buy a Hyundai car thats priced less than 10 lakhs. The Accent, Santro, Elantra are good cars and priced very very competitively. But when it comes to D segment cars, no one would associate Hyundai with a luxury car. The reason why the Sonata sold was bcos it was cheap, looked good [thats bcos it was copied] and had lots of additional features. The only other cars in that segment were the Accord, C Class, Mondeo which were too expensive. Thats why the Sonata sold. Bcos of its price. But there is a limit. Above a certain price, no one is willing to pay for a Hyundai car , however VFM it may be or however luxurious it may be. 15 lakhs is that limit. Thats why even the Sonata V6 did not sell. Though it costed almost as much as the Accord it did not sell.
Old 3rd August 2004, 12:48   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Found some roadtests by reputable publications last nite. Why wait for the Indian mags to reinvent the wheel, right?

Hyundai Getz Roadtests:

AutoSpeed Roadtest

Top Gear Hyundai Getz

Wombat Test

MSN Getz

NRMA 1000kms

HonestJohn Getz

GTO

Old 3rd August 2004, 13:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

hey gto

looks like you have completely fallen for the getz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe this could be the first hyundai u might buy, right?
Old 3rd August 2004, 15:50   #45
Team-BHP Support

Just got a call from Cauvery Ford -

"hello sir !, I am from C F, would you be interested in buying a new ford ?"

am - "No, not at present"

"What car do you drive? "

"Honda City Vtec"

silence - guess they do not have a car to replace mine except for the Mondy

"Sir ! we are bringing out a new car next month"

am "Another Ikon with a fancy name"

"No No No sir 1"

am "Which one then ? "

"Fusion"

am "I might look at this to replace my wife's 800 - (no really), call me next month "

What this space for a test drive

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks