Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2023, 18:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition

MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition

A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_01.jpg

Earlier this year, MG launched the Blackstorm edition of the Gloster SUV. It's based on the top-end Savvy variant of the Gloster and costs Rs. 71,000 more than the regular Gloster. The diesel 4x2 variant costs Rs. 41,04,800 while the AWD variant costs Rs. 43,86,800. You can have it in 6 or 7-seater versions. The Blackstorm edition is exclusively available in only 2 paint shades out of the 4 on the regular Gloster. There are the Metal Black and Metal Ash paint shades which get red accents and a few other cosmetic changes. There are no mechanical changes to the car and it is powered by a 2.0-litre diesel engine. It comes in two states of tune - a single turbo version with 161 BHP and 375 Nm and a twin-turbo unit that puts out 215 BHP and 480 Nm. The latter comes with a shift-on-fly 4WD system. An 8-speed automatic transmission is offered as standard across both engine tunes.

You can download the MG Gloster Blackstorm edition brochure here - MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition Brochure.pdf

Since the MG Gloster has already been reviewed by Team-BHP, this report will only focus on changes made to the Blackstorm Edition. To read the full official review, click here.
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-pa020909.jpg

So, what's new on the outside?

For starters, the big chrome grille has been replaced by this mesh design grille in all black. It doesn't even get the chrome border which is a good thing and gives the front a mean look:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_02.jpg

The dual projector LED headlights also get red accents at the bottom:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_06.jpg

While the regular Gloster gets a chrome lip on the bumper, the Blackstorm edition gets a red accent lip. Also, note that the fog lamp housings are also finished in black instead of the chrome:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_07.jpg

Even the ORVMs get these red accents:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_08.jpg

If you thought the 19-inch alloys on the regular Gloster were boring, you get these black alloy wheels which look rather nice. Most importantly, you also get red brake calipers:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_09.jpg

The 'Brit Dynamic' badge has been kept the same, the strip next to it has been blacked out:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_10.jpg

Roof rails also get an all-black treatment:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_11.jpg

Changes to the rear are subtle but noticeable:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_03.jpg

The chrome strip below the MG logo has been retained, but all the badging has been blacked out and get red accents. Eagle-eyed BHPians will notice that the font of the 'GLOSTER' badge at the bottom is different (reference image):
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_12.jpg

A look at the highlands mist LED tail lamps. Also check out the black and red '4WD ADAS' badge:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_13.jpg

Rear bumper also gets the red accent:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_14.jpg

Our test car was missing the red accented body cladding on doors mentioned in the brochure. Here are a couple more pictures of the car:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_04.jpg
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_exterior_05.jpg

So, what's new on the inside?

The all-black theme continues on the inside as well. There's no tan leather here, just all black with red accents:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_01.jpg

Even the leather-wrapped steering wheel gets contrast red stitching:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_02.jpg

A look at the dashboard leather trim. The light below (red) is part of the ambient light package which can be customised in a total of 64 colours:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_03.jpg

Even the doorpads get the all-black treatment instead of tan:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_04.jpg

Front seats are comfortable and provide good support. The driver seat is 12-way adjustable with 2 memory presets. The passenger seat is 8-way adjustable. They're draped in black leather instead of tan leather on the regular Gloster:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_05.jpg

Due to the adjustable headrest for the middle passenger in this 7-seater variant, the view from the IRVM is pretty bad. You will have to depend on the 360-degree camera display on the touchscreen:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_06.jpg

The center console has been left untouched:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_08.jpg

Here's a look at the rear seats of the 7-seater variant. The middle passenger gets an adjustable headrest and a 3-point seatbelt:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_09.jpg

Centre armrest is pretty wide and also has cupholders:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_10.jpg

The middle row of seats don't tumble forward, but just fold and slide:
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2023_gloster_blackstorm_interior_11.jpg

Last edited by Omkar : 24th August 2023 at 07:17.
Omkar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 10:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition

A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition - Post moved to a new thread.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I got to see in person, and to me definitely looks better than stock. Again people who prefer chrome, may not like this. That said, they could have deleted the large lettering and despite nice tweaks, misses the butch looks compared to competition.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 18:02   #4
Kln
BHPian

Truly unfortunate that MG didn't see fit to tune the low rev range of the engine to be more peppy. It feels absolutely dead below 2000 RPM.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 18:48   #5
BHPian

Am I the only one who thinks the original looks way better than this new Darth Vader version?

Both inside and outside.

A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-3pa020898.jpg.jpg

Here's an attempt to fix the rear and cleaning it up.

Debadged the G L O S T E R written in size 95 font and that horrendous dual fake exhaust.

A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-pa020796.jpg1.jpg
inwester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Truly unfortunate that MG didn't see fit to tune the low rev range of the engine to be more peppy. It feels absolutely dead below 2000 RPM.
I remember reading somewhere that MG India has tinkered with the engine to eliminate the turbo lag below 2000rpm to a certain extent, if this still feels dead below 2000rpm then it’s truly a missed opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
That said, they could have deleted the large lettering and despite nice tweaks, misses the butch looks compared to competition.
Agree completely, one of the major reasons this car doesn’t sell is the road presence aspect! Even though it’s bigger in all directions compared to the Fortuner, it simply lacks presence!

As luck would’ve it, a Gloster was parked beside my 1st gen Fortuner and I managed to click a picture. Gauge the road presence.

A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-2981d52f1bd14fb1b1c16396a11bab95.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 24th August 2023 at 20:57.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 10:35   #7
BHPian

Am I the only one feeling the design has started to show age already, the first gen fortuner in India is still a looker on the road. The pic shared by @CEF_Beasts seconds my opinion.
puntra800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 16:26   #8
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I

Agree completely, one of the major reasons this car doesn’t sell is the road presence aspect! Even though it’s bigger in all directions compared to the Fortuner, it simply lacks presence!

Attachment 2494702

Major part of it are the headlights. MG makes some of the worst, bland, non descript headlights in the market that mutedly whimpers 'GENERIC' on road.

Compare that with the overhyped current gen Fortuner, especially the Legender variants -- what a beautiful set of headlights! More so for the timeless Endeavour - even when being standard square, it blends in nicely with the design language of 'classic'.

MG designers seem to be afraid of committing to one design language, and hence it is all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : MG Gloster Blackstorm Edition-20230825_162532.jpg  

Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 09:46   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I spent some time with the Gloster Blackstorm. Three things I loved:

- Soft ride quality. If you want the best car to handle bad roads, this SUV is for you. It's the absolute BOSS over them. So unlike the bumpy Fortuner which I can never live with.

- Light steering & overall being very easy to drive, despite the size. This is unlike the Fortuner's steering which has weight.

- Cabin space & luxury.

Three things I hated:

- The sound system is pathetic at this price! Even the Hector's ICE is so much better sounding.

- Looks old & outdated. The styling is meh & you really will have a hard time telling people you bought an "MG" for 50 lakhs.

- The price MG wants for this car. It's 50 lakhs OTR in Mumbai! Overpriced for the age, badge & overall product. No one in my family was aware of the existence of "Gloster". On the other hand, everyone knows what a Fortuner or Kodiaq is.

Don't know whether they have retuned the engine / gearbox or its the BS6.2 effect, but I didn't find the lag to be a deal-breaker. It's there, but you can drive around it. I got used to it in ~10 km and it didn't bother me post that. Not an enthusiastic engine or gearbox from any angle, yet not a deal-breaker either.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks