Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2004, 20:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

yeah shanty,

dont forget when the accent was launched it was 'ONE BILLION DOLLAR CAR " or something like that...i think. rite ??

and that poor girl's pop looks like a gold digging guy !!! or maybe he realised that an accent wasnt worth that much of respect!!

and what's the elantra's tag line ? play a different game or something....maan who thinks up these shitty lines...

different game ..i wud play nfs rather than sit in an elantra !!

cheers
Old 9th August 2004, 20:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ Aug. 09 2004,18:30)]..i wud play nfs rather than sit in an elantra !!
I don't understand why you guys are sooooo angry with Elantra. After all it's India's first performance luxury sedan
Old 9th August 2004, 22:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

hey rudra
i mean their ads agency.......
and yeah ive thought up some good ads for them during our hindi periods .............
man i hate hyundai. ........
they certainly ar good in marketing
Old 22nd October 2005, 13:07   #19
BANNED

I think Hyundai Motor should learn from their own accusations before pointing fingers on companies like Toyota. Oh God! I'm still laughing!! Why is the Sonata Embera so so so so so stripped down comapred to the Sonata Embera in Korea and North America?

Rudra sen, no offense, but please don't make me laugh harder than I already am.... Performance and Hyundai Elantra? Oh my God! Hahahaha!! (and I am laughing at that line all the more because I am comparing the Hyundai Elantra to ONLY the Toyota Corolla in terms of performance)
Old 22nd October 2005, 13:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Boom,

Rudra sir made that (sarcastic, IMO) comment on August 2004; Kindly take a look at the dates before you post and thus revive old posts....
Old 22nd October 2005, 14:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys I think we can't really blame Hyundai for comparative advertising. No company is going to advertise the shortcomings of its products in its ads. But even then I think Hyundai ads stretch this a bit too far. I remember around 2000/2001 they ran a highly objectionable series of ads in the local newspapers around here and they were asked to withdraw the same and apologise for them when the other companies protested.

As for quoting power in PS that's the way they have always done to show their competition as inferior to them. But the weight issue is more serious since I remember some time back Car & Driver had tested the Accent and it turned out to be 200-250 kgs. heavier than the quoted weight. Will try to find the article & post it if possible. This could be the reason for the Accent/Sonata/Elantra's poor performane despite the power figures.

One more thing not many people know is that in the US Hyundai alongwith Mazda had to compensate some customers when it turned out that their cars were not producing the power figures quoted. For Mazda it was the RX-8 & for Hyundai the Sonata. Both companies resorted to giving discounts, freebies etc. for the same. I think if I remember correctly their figures were about 15-20 % off the claimed figures. Seems like Korean companies power figures are not in HorsePower (HP) but rather PONY POWER (PS)

I guess Hyundai's are VFM because they cut corners on development and in the long term it shows. My Santro over 4 years had repeated part failures which were replaced and the service was no doubt good but the fact is the repeated failures and down time of the car were a pain in the ass.

But all said & done you got to say that Hyundai is a very good company at Marketing itself.
Old 22nd October 2005, 14:53   #22
rkg
Senior - BHPian

santro Vs swift ad imbroglio

it is very recently that hyundai has to withdrawn their ad comparing santro with swift after maruti has dragged it to court. they price their products very high , spend part of this higher profits in ads and giving huge discounts. i remember long back hyundai boss mr subbu stating that they dont offer discounts like their competitors( read maruti) to sell cars. but in reality they do offer huge discounts. my sister got 30K discount on santro in march 2005. even now they released the limited period offer of santro with alloys at the same price as santro. one thing is they very good at marketing their products.
Old 23rd October 2005, 06:09   #23
BANNED

Umm sandeepmdas??? The Toyota Corolla was out in the market before the Hyundai Elantra and Rudra Sen obviously made that comment after the Hyundai Elantra was launched... Also, I said no offense. What date do you want me to look at now and why use me to become a favorite with a moderator by sucking up without any logic? Pal, we are discussing cars here, not egos .

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 23rd October 2005 at 06:10.
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:14   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
Tomorrow they'll say, "Our cars can accomodate 4 people with ease. Can a Ferrari do so? No! So buy a Hyundai."
They did this quite recently against Maruti thankfully not Ferrari But I guess Maruti's strong revolt blew Hyundai management back to their place.

When will these people learn to market their engineering? They add a knock sensor to the Santro and sell it as an altogether new version (eRLX) what a way to sell cars.
Old 23rd October 2005, 18:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Its not always with safety. Hyundais advt tactics are wierd. When Honda launched the new City, Hyundai started comparing the power figure with the NHC, which it wudnt have dared to do with the old City. Also when it comes to comparing specifications and features with competitors, they always exclude the spec which they are low in. Remember seeing lots of these ads in the papers.
Saw an add by Indica Turbo today along the same lines.... comparison with Getz GLE and Swift Lxi and they highlighted areas that they better them.... like Engine capacity, torque, width, height, power windows and central locking. Not sure we can only hold Hyundai responsible for unfair comparison tactics.... I guess everyone is doing it!
Old 23rd October 2005, 19:25   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
hey rudra
i mean their ads agency.......
and yeah ive thought up some good ads for them during our hindi periods .............
man i hate hyundai. ........
they certainly ar good in marketing
Hey Lambo, I think Rudra is probably amused at your loose reference to his profession. You are pretty much using the term marketing and advertising interchangeably.

Coming to the main issue, almost all product companies do comparision charts in a lop-sided way. They pick only those attributes that show their products in a positive light. I think Hyundai ads probably over do it. You can't really blame the Ad agency, they work with the data provided by the marketing dept of the car company and the final cut of the AD is approved by the marketing dept before it is unleashed into the world.
Old 23rd October 2005, 19:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Talking about comparisons, Hindustan Times readers may be knowing the small blocks of advertisements that come every day stating One advantage of Santro over WagonR- sourced from an Autocar article...
Old 24th October 2005, 01:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is kinda that young man who has suddenly got so much fame he/she cant handle and hence the outbursts.

Shame on you Hyundai.

you start making good cars and loose reputation.
Old 24th October 2005, 12:08   #29
BHPian

New Sonata rear looks uncannily similar to Honda Accord

Guys, have you noticed that the rear of the New Sonata resembles very closely that of the Honda Accord. The lights etc. Infact, I mistook the car for an Accord (from the rear) and only when I saw it from the side did I realize that it was actually a Hyundai.

Pure "Coincidence" I guess!!!!! Mr. Subbu
Old 24th October 2005, 12:28   #30
BHPian

but

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Hyundai is kinda that young man who has suddenly got so much fame he/she cant handle and hence the outbursts.

Shame on you Hyundai.

you start making good cars and loose reputation.
But, why are these so called car manufacturers not offering in India what they sell outside?

Corolla does not give air bags. period.
So is Fusion when all the fusions sold outside in Europe have air bags.

I can understand m800's because tey are meant for masses with little money and affordability and transportation become the main factors.
Not in premium segment cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks