Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2023, 00:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000

When the untested, unproven (in India) Fortuner released in India in 2009, it cost ~20L ex-showroom. Adjusting for inflation, that is 45-50L in 2023. Today, the comparable, super established 4X4 model is cheaper (~40L) and Toyota has even introduced lower priced variants (Petrol, 2X2 etc) starting at 33L that will satisfy the needs of most Fortuner buyers.

Zooming into this year, inflation is at 6.8% (August). This means that Toyota needs to increase prices by 2-3L across the Fortuner line up (vs last year), just to keep up with inflation. They need several hikes similar to the one seen this week (70K) to achieve this.

Yet, IMO the Fortuner & Innova are very pricy. I think I (and I suspect others) find it hard to evaluate what premium to pay for the top notch reliability & after sales Toyota provides. At the same time, I find it much easier to place a tangible value on features that another manufacturer might offer resulting in a high price tag(e.g sunroof ~50k, touchscreen ~30k, Leather seats ~50k etc). Despite being very loyal Toyota customers, it's always tough to cough up the premium when buying a new/used car.
L8ButV8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:30   #17
BHPian

This should be a wake up call to Nissan. Whilst Isuzu may not have the portfolio to match Toyota, always wondered why Nissan was lagging despite such wonderful products like in the middle east. Maybe it is time now, it would be able to introduce great products without any under cutting, the party proper may be the dealers.
Old 12th October 2023, 10:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8ButV8 View Post
. Adjusting for inflation
Well, These OEMs did not compensate their so called business partner (read poor vendors or suppliers or service providers or even employees) for this 'Inflation adjustment'. These exercises are just milking the customers who can easily afford these prices to show that they are arriving.

The customers base is entirely different - builders, politicians, land lords etc. They do not care for these 'small' hikes. So Toyota is just doing what a greedy business should do.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:46   #19
BHPian

Guys! It's not just Toyota, Mahindra has increased the XUV 700 prices by approx. 3.7 Lakhs (AX7L models) in 2 years! If people are willing to pay even after a waiting period of 6-8 months, then manufacturers can't be blamed for price hike; Afterall it's sellers' market currently - "make hay while the sun shines."
Rahkehs is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 11:15   #20
BHPian

Fortuner price should actually be considered as - 30L for the car, plus 10L in FD. The 10L will come back with returns at resale!
Voyager-1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 11:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Damn!!!

Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000-img_2603.jpeg

At this rate, by 2027/28 it will hit 1cr in bangalore. And looking at the resale value this & innova defies all finance logic around automobiles. These are investments, not depreciating assets

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th October 2023 at 11:54.
SoumenD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 12:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Damn!!!

Attachment 2516617

At this rate, by 2027/28 it will hit 1cr in bangalore. And looking at the resale value this & innova defies all finance logic around automobiles. These are investments, not depreciating assets

To be fair, if you buy the GR-S or legender variant you don’t really care about money and just want to brag about paying 10L extra just for a body kit and some different alloys over the 4x4 AT
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 12:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I remember the time when Mercedes M or ML (current GLE) used to be cheaper than this! Inflation is one thing but Toyota people believe there is hyper inflation
Old 12th October 2023, 13:33   #24
BHPian

We may say these price hikes are an indication of Toyota's monopoly position and greed but what this really indicate is the growing purchasing power of certain economic class of our population and how they perceive the value of certain goods and have no problem continue buying/owning them. In fact few will be happy to see Toyota entering into 'value luxury' segment from existing 'value utility' segment.

There's no doubt that Toyota is abusing its monopoly position in Indian market but as GTO said they are not here for any charity causes or on a mission to cater to our automotive passion. They are simply here to make as much money they could possibly make and till now there is no indication from existing or future customers that they are going to back off stepping into Toyota's showrooms.

YES, these prices might have made their products out of the purchasing power of certain customers but Toyota owes nothing to these set of customers and simply decided to move on to a different customer set. You have to play with the car'd's you are dealt with.

It won't be anytime soon I will step into Toyota showroom as I am not the customer for the overpriced value they offer notwithstanding the overrated reliability and dealer/salesperson's arrogant attitude but I don't see anything wrong with their price hikes as any business responds to hard numbers and not emotions/outrage and as past history suggests that Toyota and it's customers are happy with each other.
ranjith_cbz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:38   #25
BHPian

Slightly deviating: Is there a thread that collates all price rises for each brand/car. Especially Covid and post Covid the prices have gone up exponentially on most cars.
aby.sam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 14:50   #26
BHPian

Hello from UAE! And clearly, I don’t see ONLY Toyota responsible for the Net Cost in India!

Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000-8f157fe1f86d4949a6172cc68981848c.jpeg

Cheers
Amey
Old 12th October 2023, 15:21   #27
BHPian

People are missing an important point here. Who is the target audience for Fortuner in India?

A huge chunk of Fortuner buyers are politicians, governments and bureaucrats. None of these 3 customers have any issue on price. In fact, for 2 of these segments, it's paid by us taxpayers and for politicians, it's again not his/ her money.

The minority left are the rich individuals who did not have problem spending 55-60 lakhs and now will have to pay few lakhs more. Let them keep buying

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th October 2023 at 15:42. Reason: Typos
RaghuVis is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 15:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Hello from UAE! And clearly, I don’t see ONLY Toyota responsible for the Net Cost in India!
Check this out both the HyCross and Fortuner start at the same price in UAE.

Just a point to note, the HyCross sold there is only available as a Hybrid and is available as a GX and VX (exception in VX being a powered tailgate and DRLs that double up as turn indicators from the ZX in India)

Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000-4c988397b8984aeeabedd7c74dd95cfb.jpeg

Toyota Fortuner prices hiked by up to Rs 70,000-d6fce76253564fb3821b830d2880c37e.jpeg

And the Fortuner 2.7L that starts at 126900 AED is absolutely barebones: No Auto AC, No leather seats, etc etc.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 12th October 2023 at 15:40.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 15:41   #29
BHPian

Nothing wrong with Toyota milking the situation. It has a fan following in the general public.

I disagree that it has no competition. There are things that Fortuner lacks where other European competitors do better. Not everyone with money has use of a gigantic car with 7 seats. With minimal personal experience on Fortuner and what we have heard here, it is not a very comfortable highway cruiser. I would add Tucson to the competition with its more than capable diesel avatar.

No car is ever perfect; you choose what matters to you.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 16:02   #30
Kln
BHPian

Surprised how much people are willing to give leeway to Toyota! This is classic price gouging. Yes, don't buy if you can't, free market etc etc. But a discussion is worth having if this aging car is really worth this much.

Personally, I'm waiting for toyota to start selling it in 70 lakhs to 1 cr bracket. At least then, we will start seeing less of the typical awful drivers who own these. I'm sure every city has the stereotypical Fortuner owner - blacked out windows, always driving on upper beam, no number plate.
Kln is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks