Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2004, 14:12   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just heard this morning over breakfast that a friend of my fathers crashed his Vtec beyond repair. Totally his fault.

He was on the way to Shahapur on a religious trip with 5 oldies (50+ age) in the car. Was overtaking a truck from the left side at a 100 km/h!!! Needless to say, the truck swerved to the left and the Vtec was left without any room. Swerved to the left and took a 15 foot dive - the car and passengers.

The car landed upside down on its roof straight into a 5 feet deep body of water. Panic and screaming was obviously abundant. Some villagers came to their help, broke the glasses, forced open the doors and dragged all the passengers out.

Luckily for them, a group with two cars stopped to help them and take them to the hospital. After going through excruciating pain for a full two hours, the Sion hospital started treating them. The Vtec is an insurance write-off.

Two of the 5 people in the car escaped without injuries. The three others wernt so lucky and are going to spend a good amount of time in the hospital due to fractures and bruises.

Drive save, Team-BHPians. And dont ever overtake from the left side. 99% of accidents occur due to driver error.

Also remember that the outdated trucks in our country have almost zero rear visibility. Honk when overtaking from the right and make your presence known.

GTO
Old 9th September 2004, 14:33   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also remember that the outdated trucks in our country have almost zero rear visibility. Honk when overtaking from the right and make your presence known.
Thats why trucks have "HORN OK PLEASE". If you overtake from the left you HONK. If you are behind it its OK. And if you wanna overtake from the right, PLEASE you are welcome.

Good the injuries were not major. Cos landing upside down after a 15-ft dive can really cause some nasty injuries. Tbhpians Drive safe and dont forget to Belt-up.
Old 9th September 2004, 15:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ Sep. 09 2004,13:03)]Thats why trucks have "HORN OK PLEASE". If you overtake from the left you HONK. If you are behind it its OK. And if you wanna overtake from the right, PLEASE you are welcome.
So finally!.. (is that really the logic?)

I always thought "horn ok please" was a kind of phrase saying "blow the horn if you plan to overtake..ok? * *"

Lol...
R

ps - yep...overtaking from the left it a huge nono- even overtaking from the right without informing the truck/bus or without getting their approval is a bad things because up ahead they might need to swerve to avoid motorcycle guys or pedestrians (who u were not able to see..being behind the bus) and that would push you straight into oncomming traffic.
Traffic protocol exists for a reason. Even if you dont understand the reason..just follow it....its better than learning the hard way.

Old 9th September 2004, 15:36   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

Thats why trucks have "HORN OK PLEASE". If you overtake from the left you HONK. If you are behind it its OK. And if you wanna overtake from the right, PLEASE you are welcome.
Nope. Thats not the intended interpretation. Horn "OK" Please was introduced in TATA trucks a little while after independence. Basically the word "OK" was fitted on a red light. So if you want to overtake "Horn Please", then the truck driver would check for oncoming traffic and press a switch which lit up the "OK" sign. Meaning its OK for you to overtake.

GTO
Old 9th September 2004, 15:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

I seen a similar accident at Linking Road near National College at the bus stop. It was early in the morning but the accident must have happened somewhere in the middle of the night. The car, a darkblue honda city vtec, was completely GONE! The car hit the divider [the huge wall I mean] and must've somersaulted twice or something. The top was badly damaged. I could see the suspension rods coming out through the hood. It was very very bad. Wonder if they survived. Didn't see anything in the papers though.
Old 9th September 2004, 15:52   #6
BHPian

spot on about the "HONK OK PLEASE" gto!!
Old 9th September 2004, 16:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

dreadful accident GTO..glad to hear all are safe ....maan

but sometimes these trucks dont leave an option but to try n overtake from the left. a case in point is the vashi bridge...try it out there !!!

btw i thut the story behind HORN OK PLEASE ...was that horn ok ? after the horn ...please urself ...overtake wherever u want to !!

cheers
Old 9th September 2004, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Horrible accident....
Thank Gawd for the new life pal!!! Take 2
Old 9th September 2004, 20:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well.. this is wat i think!! I may be wrong!!... people who have habbit of overtaking from the left ( many Indians have ) should not press the horn while overtaking from the left as it can lead to bad consequences!!
Say a truck with load behind on that flat bed....u honk him while overtaking from the left... he may think u r behind him (if he doesnt see in his mirror) and comes on the left lane may be at the same time at which u r trying to overtake him from the left. He may think u will overtake from right... after he goes on the left lane... but then u r on the left... u will *be honking for u r life then!!!
Hope i made myself a little clear!!!

Old 9th September 2004, 23:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hey Stratos,
your explnation is crystal clear but nobody should overtake from left side in the first place. There cannot be such a daring hurry under any condition.
Old 9th September 2004, 23:32   #11
BHPian

Uhhh.. horrible .......left side overtakin is a big NO...sure ..... remember .control is not wen u floor the pedal on a open road and touch the top speed ..but control is wen u DUN speed on a open road...

Tc guyz ne wayz ... i jus hope the oldies are all rite
Old 10th September 2004, 01:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

holy cow,
really sad abt the accident but great to hear that all are safe.from wat we read,it seems it was the car driver's fault as there is no way the trucker can see on the LHS.
this accident cud have been avrted if ....

drive safe guys.
Old 10th September 2004, 01:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

LHS overtaking is the worst thing you can possibly do. It's the perfect recipe for disaster.

I never let any car or bike to overtake me from the left nor do i try these stunts.

I don't understand the concept behind it, are they like too scared to overtake from the right?? Makes no sense to me.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 10th September 2004, 01:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its better to slow down than be in a hurry to overtake.

Overtaking from the left is as grave as committing harakiri. I personally see quite a few of them do it regularly on the WE highway. And have seen some rather disastrous consequences. Honestly, with most highways being two laned, it makes sense to stick behind a truck for 5-10 minutes at times than be in a hurry to slot your car as early as possible to avoid fast oncoming traffic.

Drive safe Team-Bhpians. Its better to be late than to not have reached at all!

Revv
Old 10th September 2004, 10:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hhmm... Sad situation here but i must say i have never felt safe in a honda city specially the old version body style like the vtec. I have a old 1.3 honda and the car has pretty good power lesser than the vtec for sure but even in the 1.3 on a steep turn or sudden turn needed to save a cat or dog makes me weak in the knees. I have driven the vtec city and find it way to light , all my frnds who have it complain of the same problem. So all u vtec owners out here i know there r quite a few, power aside when a turn comes in forget abt the power!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks