Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2024, 10:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ford in talks with Tata for a possible JV

If Ford pulling out was a mistake, this JV would be a disaster. There is just no comparison between their products. Being here for 25 years if they cannot find their footing back, there is something fundamentally wrong, better to ditch the plan of re-entry.

Ford was best under Alan Mulally, this guy Farley seems like a bean counter with no vision. Anyways they dont have proper Ford products to bring to developing markets. Bringing in high end cars with horrendous import duties will not work. As much as I want Ford to come back, somehow feeling they will mess this up with stupid decisions.
bullitt1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 10:54   #32
BHPian

I have a different view here. I believe Tata got the most out of Ford's exit from India since Tata and Ford shared some of the USP's like value, safety etc. Mahindra is on the same list but I guess Ford already explored that option. I guess this is more for EV/Hybrid future for both brands and would love to have strong competition here. Hyundai has been steadily improving on safety front; Not sure if they have hybrids in pipeline, but their EV wave is coming for sure. Maruti is planning a big push with hybrids/range extenders and that should worry Tata.
Old 4th March 2024, 11:08   #33
BHPian

I am thinking there could be three possible synergies that Tata and Ford would work on:

1. Hybrid Tech - Ford has hybrid tech in some of their large markets and they must be thinking of sharing this with Tata to get some leverage. Tata needs Petrol and Hybrid tech for sure for their Harrier / Safari line

2. EV Platforms - Ford is betting big on EV space now and will think of it as a niche / differentiate approach from before. Tata can think about licensing or sharing their EV platforms for Ford to build on.

3. Thinking beyond passenger cars, Ford has built a specialized platform Ford Pro for its commercial buisness, a wild theory could be the JV focusses only on commerical vehicles only.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 15:07   #34
BHPian

Tata is currently grappling with quality concerns and a less than stellar reputation for service. I'm curious about how Ford plans to leverage this partnership.

Before diving in, Ford should thoroughly grasp the market landscape, especially its trajectory towards EVs or hybrids. They should consider launching their own products independently without relying on a joint venture. It's crucial that this collaboration doesn't just result in a superficial logo swap.

Ford should partner with someone well-versed in our market and be prepared to make substantial investments. There's little room for failure this time around.
Old 4th March 2024, 17:36   #35
BHPian

Rumour: Ford in talks with Tata for a possible JV-tata-demerger.jpg

Tata is looking at demerging the passenger vehicle and commercial vehicle businesses. Maybe the current talks on JV could be for one of the entities as I have mentioned in one of my previous threads
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 23:20   #36
BHPian

Honestly the amount of high handedness some members treat Tata as a brand here is downright ignorant and narrow-minded. Especially those who have zero firsthand experience of Tata cars. I have one Nexon diesel going strong at 40K Kms and had one first gen Nexon which even after 1.3L kms was going strong and got my cousin a resale price that will drop Maruti and Honda fans’ collective jaws.

Tata has come a long way and they show a willingness to listen and change. That’s something even Maruti the market leader isn’t capable of; They continue to stick to their stupid guns and old ways. Looking forward to Tata and Ford JV and I’m sure it will be a hit if it comes to the market provided the products are competitive and Tata overcomes their shortcomings with time which I’m sure they will.

I’d anyday prefer a Tata over Maruti. Sorry, no more death trap tin boxes for me unless I need a cheap on the pocket city beater.
Himanshu809 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks