Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with you current turbo petrol AT ?
Yes 293 82.77%
No 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2024, 17:45   #91
BHPian

Re: Turbo-petrol owners of Team-BHP | Are you happy with your purchase?

My Venue N Line completed 26,000 km in less than 10 months. Coming from 15 years of DDIS motor - this Turbo Petrol spoiled me.

Further with Stage 1 tuning and modified exhaust - it drives like a little sports car - then who cares for Mileage. I think i saved enough of money with driving Maruti's in last 20 years. and Now that i am touching 40 - its time to get naughty - come on Turbo - give me that boost.
Ashdel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 18:54   #92
BHPian

I don't think there are any decent naturally aspirated petrol engines left in India.
I'm not counting those 1.2 litre ones. They're gutless and not of much use nowadays in my opinion.
Honda has a decent 1.5 L ivtec.
Elantra in 2021 had a capable 2.0 L one which by no means was sporty but you could definitely enjoy it out on a highway.

And if money is no issue for you, then you'd have to upgrade to Porsche Cayman.
Old 6th May 2024, 19:04   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LR-GUE View Post
6. Mileage is very sensitive to outside temperature ( I get good mileage in nights, than afternoon with the same driving style).
Are you seeing the same behaviour even with higher octane fuel?
Old 7th May 2024, 15:57   #94
BHPian

My ownership history (well documented on the forums) has been Diesel (2013 Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI - An enthusiast's delight (Quantum Remap + Downpipe + Bilstein B6s))PetrolDiesel (all turbocharged & Stage 2+ tuned).

Things I miss from my old turbo-petrol car 116i (2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback):

- All that sweet-sounding music at the top end - Intake whooshes, Blow-off valve psst psst & the exhaust notes.
- Refinement and creaminess in the low end—At 100 kmph in 8th gear, one could stop and wonder if the tuned engine is even turned on.
- Low-end torque (vis-a-vis NA): We have a Corolla Altis with an NA 4-banger and a hideous CVT, which you need to rev the nuts off to make any real progress (rubberband effect). By contrast, the 1.6 turbo had a healthy torque spread from as little as 1500 rpm, making all the power accessible and usable.

Things I don't miss from my old turbo-petrol car:

- As everyone who owns turbo-petrol vehicles observes, FE figures depend hugely on driving style (and operating/ambient temperatures). I had to drive carefully to manage a decent 9 kmpl on my 60-40 Highway-City cycle. Bear in mind my car was running a 97-octane map.
- Smaller tank ranges and overall FE. More money is spent on fuel, and more time is spent refuelling at the bunks.

Turbo-petrol over NA petrol any and every day of the week. I was thrilled with my purchase, but I want to do one better and say...

After coming full circle, I prefer turbo-diesel over turbo-petrol cars (while I can). They can be all the car for everyone, as I have neatly explained in my ownership report of my replacement, which sports a highly tuned 3.0L inline-6 turbodiesel (2014 BMW X3 xDrive30d (F25) Review | The Ultimate "Urban" Driving Machine (350 BHP / 760 Nm)). It's a rare story where Power meets Fuel Economy.

Last edited by n:CorE : 7th May 2024 at 15:59.
Old 8th May 2024, 17:59   #95
BHPian

Voted Yes. I own New Fiat Linea Tjet 2014. In those days I don't even recall anyone mentioning turbo petrols and I don't think there were any available in sedans. The 2 cars most popular on road were Honda City and Vento Diesel. I was tired of seeing Honda City and the tractor like sound of Vento Diesel put me off. Also my running was not much. I never knew that Fiat had launched a turbo petrol and I had heard that the NA engine was underpowered. But then Tjet was launched, happened to see one overtaking my getz. I could glimpse Tjet written at the back and was curious to know about it. Well reached home, checked a wonderful official teambhp review, took 2 test drives and deal done. It's been 10 years and it has been one of the best decision taken. Even now it's solid and stable. Touchwood!
SSD2122 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 07:40   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzen7@5800u View Post
We bought a Nexon XE 1.2 turbo petrol in 2018. 90,000+ kilometres later, the experience has been amazing.
From day 1 we have used regular 91 octane petrol, no high octane stuff - but have got acceptable mileage of 13+ km/litre.
No reliability issues have been faced in the car, except for an electrical bug where the car refuses to crank when hot occasionally and a hole in the radiator plumbing due to stones. Neither of these issues can be attributed to the engine itself.
We did get the timing kit replaced at 85k after a suggestion to do so by the service centre as part of preventative maintenance.
The turbo power in sport mode is very fun out on the highway, and the engine is punchy enough for quick getaways from lights in city mode. Eco mode is practically useless.

Touchwood, looking forward to the next 1 lakh kilometres with the car!
Hello fellow Nexon owner

Great to know your car is going strong. Can you please elaborate a little about your electrical bug? Were you able to get it resolved? Someone I know might be facing the same issue.

Thanks!
NorthernStar
Old 9th May 2024, 16:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
Can you please elaborate a little about your electrical bug? Were you able to get it resolved?
NorthernStar
It's difficult to explain. The bug first popped up when dad switched off the car for refuelling, and the electrics refused to turn on afterwards. No fuel pump priming, no gauge sweep, nothing. It took 2-3 key cycles for the electrics to wake up.
This issue then began occurring at traffic signals, but slamming doors shut seemed to jostle it back to life. We then thought it was a loose fuse, but there were no blown or loose fuses in the fuse box.
We also supposed that it could relate to some door ajar system or immobilizer, but to my knowledge no such system is fitted on the car.
Tata service centre was not able to recreate the issue when we took it to them, and eventually it seemed to fix itself.
The bug has not recurred in the last 6 months or so. No clue why it started and how it resolved itself. The only guess is that when we replaced the battery, the FNG told us a part of the wiring from the battery had started to fray. Replacing that reduced the incidents, so I suppose it had something to relate to that.
Old 9th May 2024, 21:32   #98
BHPian

I've got an Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI and I don't think I would like to drive any other car which isn't turbocharged. Paired with butter smooth DSG and top notch handling, I think I got a little sports car in budget. The way car behaves when you press full accelerator and car shoots like a rocket after turbo lag is a feeling which I've started liking bit too much.Even though I have a Accord 3.5 V6 which has comparatively bigger NA engine but due to the total weight of the car the pull isn't that strong. Turbo Petrols for the win!
DK_accord is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks