Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: are indian drivers better than other nation driver -
a) yes 14 32.56%
b) no 25 58.14%
c) cant say 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2004, 14:09   #16

Indian drivers may not be good for F1 but sure they are really "EXCELLENT" for Rallying...

Old 13th July 2004, 16:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vinaypro @ July 13 2004,22:39)]Indian drivers may not be good for F1 but sure they are really "EXCELLENT" for Rallying...
All we need is the right kind of training from the right ppl.

One more thing i've noticed (especially down south) is that they don't know the difference between "rash" and "fast" driving.

I've had friends from tamil nadu and kerala asking me, "Are you a slow driver or a rash driver?" lol
They just don't get it when i say, "i'm neither of those, i'm a fast driver". hehe

In any form of racing, no matter how brutal it may seem, you have to be smooth and precise with your driving style. A WRC car may look like it's out of control but the driver inside knows exactly what he's doing.

Smoothness is what Indian drivers lack.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 13th July 2004, 21:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nothing is gonna change until the attitude of the politicians change.

Last year they wanted to Implement mandatory helmets rule in Hyderabad. And just a day before the deadline, there was an order from CM not to implement it. He also mentioned that police has to guide citizens to wear helmets instead of forcing. Are people going to listen if cop says "Sir, please wear a helmet sir." This is ridiculous.

And another thing, we are going to have better traffic only when autos are out of production. I have an idea. We can collect donations (Re.1 per india) and give it to Bajaj auto to compensate if they stop production of autos.

In my hometown in coastal Andhra, I never saw an auto running on petrol or diesle. They all use kerosene. When they are out of gas, they don't visit gas station but grocery store.
Old 13th July 2004, 21:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well.....what can i say...Satish, you make a lot of sense...same here in Bangalore too..the govt was supposed to make helmets compulsory but just days before the deadline they cancelled it.

And Shan2nu...its absolutely true that Indian drivers(most of them) lack smoothness.
Vinaypro....even rallying needs Discipline which most drivers here lack!
Old 14th July 2004, 20:13   #20
BHPian

I have a theory. All these indisciplined driving are caused by driving two wheelers. Two wheeler driverss, because they can't just pause/stop for some time, tend to just weave around and do not mind driving in the opposite side of the road (let alone the footpath).
If the RTO office makes a rule saying that you should get your 4 wheeler license first before getting a 2 wheeler license, things should get better. (But then, how many on road have license and that too the correct way)

Siva
Old 14th July 2004, 22:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Naaa......i dont think the psychology while will ever change. Its about being ahead..."first" i mean
Old 15th July 2004, 03:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Ofcourse there a few who might be infact better than Schumi in terms of reaction time and reflexes.
nope.. i dont think so
in fact the margin is so great that u cudnt compare him to indian drivers..
Old 15th July 2004, 16:23   #23
snoopy41

maybe this would help,,and id like to know how many members agree,,we JUST CANNOT accept the fact that a merc was built to go faster than a accent was built to go faster than an 800 was built to go faster than a taxi(padmini) was built to go faster than a doodhwala on a bicycle ,,and ,,so there is no EGO lost in moving aside to let a vehicle capable of going faster,,do so and overtake u,,since its likely that the POOOR harassed guy in the faster vehicle will then start breaking every rule of disciplined driving to get ahead of the slower vehicle

Old 15th July 2004, 17:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (snoopy41 @ July 15 2004,14:53)]maybe this would help,,and id like to know how many members agree,,we JUST CANNOT accept *the fact that *a *merc *was built to go faster than a *accent was built to go faster than an 800 *was built to go faster *than a taxi(padmini) was built to go faster than a *doodhwala on a bicycle *,,and ,,so there is no EGO lost in moving aside to let a vehicle capable of going faster,,do so and overtake u,,since its likely that the POOOR *harassed guy in the faster vehicle will then start breaking every rule of disciplined driving to get ahead of the slower vehicle
hehehehe....
Old 15th July 2004, 17:46   #25
Tom
BHPian

rash or fast driving on indian roads does not necessarily mean they will make good race drivers. racing goes much beyond that....one must know the physics of the car and lot of other techniques are involved in racing.

I once read that americans kids make good fighter pilots cos they play lot of video games
Old 17th July 2004, 20:34   #26

This is a very interesting issue. I'm in ausi right now and looking and the drivers on the roads its easy to say that Indian drivers are way b etter than ausi drivers or even american or Uk drivers as a matter of fact. The deal is that in India you have to expect the unexpected and this improves your reaction time. This not only improves your driving skill but also enables you to drive in any other country no matter what the sitation is. The other thing is that in other dveleoped countries the roads are so good or you may also call them boring as there are 5-6 lanes and you have to stick to alane and speed limit making it boring to drive and also no overtaking like in India on 2 way highways. Therefore in conclusion I say that Indian drivers are way better drivers than most country drivers..............
Old 17th July 2004, 23:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (racedriver82 @ July 17 2004,19:04)]......... The deal is that in India you have to expect the unexpected and this improves your reaction time. This not only improves your driving skill but also enables you to drive in any other country no matter what the sitation is...............
Well, individual reaction time maybe lesser, but, the point is that u expect the unexpected....usually the 'unexpected' is in the form of another motorist or a driver doing crazy things which is, as you say, not seen in other countries...
Old 18th July 2004, 00:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

i guess i have to agree
but the main issue is corrupt cops.
pay them 25 bucks and get back to ruling the road.
in fact even jay walkers contribute to our rash driving.
and the worst part is that its always our fault that we hit a jay walker.
the govt needs to impose higher fines .... in somme countries, the fine for smoking is rs 4000 - 40000 bucks.
higher fines and better pay to the cops will reduce the rash driving.
while we are talking about indian drivers , let me just add that we need to learn from people in other countries.
how about wider roads , cng buses , auto,taxis and other polluting vehicles and maybe proper use of a zebra crossing ( which is meant for jay walkers ) . even a seperate bus and taxi lane would be appreciated as they are one of the main causes of accidents.
Old 18th July 2004, 16:14   #29
SLK
Senior - BHPian

.... Indian drivers... are in NO way better than any nations drivers.
The only thing they (WE, YOU, ME and EVERYONE) know is, zig-zag driving. Only thing we know more than others is slipping the clutch .. and changing gears .... so some of us think we are doing much more hard work.

As far as reaction time is concerned, I don't think we are better.... as we are not used to speeds... just a fraction of what a common man does there in his daily life.

I don't think its the fault of the people here.... its the whole system.. which is... way behind the west.

ps: Exceptions are always there.... (doesn't mean he's ready for racing)

Old 4th August 2004, 11:16   #30
BHPian

Is this a joke?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks