Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your peeve on the road? - Five things that torture you when driving
Taxis & Autos 78 74.29%
BEST & ST Buses 4 3.81%
Trucks & Trailers 2 1.90%
Pedestrians & Cycles 15 14.29%
The Traffic Cop 6 5.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2006, 00:44   #61
BHPian

The auto drivers are the most irritating followed by pedestrians who expect you to stop so that they can cross. When I'm riding, I open the throttle and go straight at them. Love the look on their faces when I do that.
Old 4th January 2006, 01:06   #62
BHPian

The most irritating things happening while riding are
1: Large vehicles not giving the way to overtake.
2:High beams even when I dim the light from my side.
3: [COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Pedestrians [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]who thinks the road belongs to their father.
and one final member
4: The vehicles of ministers disobeying all available road laws.
Old 4th January 2006, 06:36   #63
BHPian

auto's are by far the most irritating and followed by people on 2 wheelers who think they can squeeze themselves athrough anything and also people driving on high beam at night
Old 4th January 2006, 12:39   #64
DRC
BHPian

I can not vote..
There is not all the above option!?
Old 4th January 2006, 17:41   #65
BHPian

When you are in Bangalore, you have to be on the look out for more number of autos than anything else. The number of autos has increased alarmingly in the past year or so. Then there is always the torture of the BMTC bus drivers, they'll hunt you down and ram into you like a bunch of drunken drivers.
Old 5th January 2006, 00:42   #66
BHPian

For me auto drivers, cyclists followed by pedestrians are most irritating fellows. Auto drivers take turn without giving any signal. Cyclists ride in the middle of the road. Pedestrians crosses the road where there is no zebra line. God... Please educate them how to use the road.
Old 14th March 2021, 01:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

re: What's your peeve on the road?

For me it is mainly anything less than 4 wheels in India. From Auto rickshaws trying to squeeze into small gaps and two wheelers filling in whatever remaining space, I easily get irritated with them. Another option though not present on the poll are the holes and craters on our roads.

What's your peeve on the road?-road.jpg
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 02:16   #68
BHPian

The biggest irritants for me while driving inside the city are the 2 wheelers that try to squeeze in between small gaps at all times and the apathy towards the 'Free left rule'. Everyday I encounter atleast a couple of people blocking the left turn at a signal and trying to reason with them is a big pain.
Old 14th March 2021, 18:48   #69
BHPian

IMHO as a class (not talking about specific individuals) none are qualified to talk about the other.

Talk about two wheelers? No point comparing Japan etc but even in poor Cambodia you will see hundreds of two wheelers crammed into the street like crazy yet not hear a single honk. They go about peacefully.

Talk about four wheelers? Car drivers are the worst. Start honking like crazy about 5 seconds before the signal turns green and don't stop until you get moving and cross the light. Of course, never give way to any vehicle that's not likely to reduce you to pulp or driven by some goon that may do the same.

Don't even talk about cyclists at least that's a reducing tribe unlike rest. They still think it's India of the 50s you can drive like it's your uncles backyard.

Almost ALL classes of vehicles take a hard left at a junction without even bothering to check at traffic coming from the right and has right of way. I generally assume any stopped vehicle can and will abruptly end up in your lane. If not some moron will open the door without checking.

Plus almost all start their vehicles and tangentially drive right into your lane without once looking around before starting.

You could go on and on...

Think we need a poll on what to do about it.

Fines? Only they turn into bribes.
Violent Street "justice"? Hasn't worked whether or not you agree on the morality.
Play movies of accidents and force all to watch? Practically everyone has friend relative or family that's been maimed, killed. Yet nothing changes.
Volunteer, NGO ? Some are genuine and active but it's easier to seek donations attacking Modi and live the good life.

I've no idea!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th March 2021 at 18:03. Reason: Multiple errors
ggkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 07:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My major peeve is actually not even mentioned in the list provided, its the blatantly ignorant drivers who have no sense of traffic rules, manners or courtesy. Drivers who dont know the ABC's of right-of-way, break traffic lights and do not maintain lane discipline.
This tbh. I was going to mention this and it's very common where I live. And it's worse on weekends and Mondays when people behave extra stupid due to the heavy highway traffic.

Another peeve of are cattles and dogs in middle of NHAI roads and flyovers. Yes, that's right. It exists here. Imagine riding at a decent 70-80km/hr on free roads with "No Restrictions" for a particular distance (not even triple digits even though you have ample safe road for it) only to see a dog in the middle or a cow/ox/bull standing in the midst. What are we paying road or highway tax for?
Old 15th March 2021, 08:03   #71
BHPian

Any poll that has those three wheeled tins driven by a nationwide network of heavily unionised and extremely lawless people with absolute disregard for order or any kind, is an easy choice.
Old 15th March 2021, 08:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I agree GTO . I have the same fun with the Sierra. When a rick or cabbie tries to cut in we honk once and then just ram into it . Idiot cant do anything has to just go away.

For me it has to be the ricks , cabs and the iggnorant drivers
I hope you are not serious here. Ramming into another car to punish it for allegedly wrong driving?
Old 15th March 2021, 08:25   #73
BANNED

Royal Enfield: I don't know what get into their heads, but I have been experiencing the greatest menace on road from these guys. They overtake thinking that 'if a car/auto/lorry/anything collides with my bullet, that is the end of that car/auto/lorry/anything. You know what, these 'so called riders', ride only in city, mainly to go to office, or buy groceries.

Auto Rickshaw: do I need to say anything here. This one word would you give you all horrible memories.

Scooters: they have a great 'feel' in their rides. They think that they are going at 100kmph, so it is ok for them to occupy the middle of the road. But poor souls, do not understand they are actually doing 20kmph. Wish they come to their senses very soon.

Note: city driving has become a 'death race' or 'mad max' movie scene now.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 10:24   #74
BHPian

Apart from everyone on the list, mine has to be people taking / texting on the mobile while driving. If it is a two wheeler rider then s/he is driving erratically and if it is a car driver then s/he is driving slowly in the middle of the lane oblivious to everyone else on the road.

I have started ignoring these people of late but they are still at the top of my list.
Old 15th March 2021, 10:25   #75
BHPian

In my opinion, it's a total lack of consideration for anyone else sharing the road. It's a strict hierarchical system, just like our society. Maybe it's a reflection.

Pedestrians<cycles<bikes/scooters<autos<hatchbacks<sedans<SUVs.

No one maintains lanes, respects gaps, speed limits, traffic rules etc. It's endemic to almost everyone 'sharing' public roads. Maybe to our society, which has faced shortages of everything except a privileged few, sharing as a concept is kind of alien. Maybe it's totally futile getting riled against unruly traffic.

When I'm driving down a thoroughfare, maybe my idealistic notions of considering for the safety/wellbeing of other citizens sharing the same public space as me is a sign of my privilege: I can afford to be late by 15mins to my work, whereas my fellow autodriver or bike delivery person, losing 15mins of their time spent on giving up the right of way to a pedestrian or another vehicle means losing a part of their wages.

Sure, I do get irritated often, sometimes cuss at the top of my voice, but there's a stark difference between unloading on a hapless delivery person and a Fortuner breaking traffic rules and norms.

Currently I rage against bullying SUVs and RE/KTM type chhapri riders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks