Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2007, 01:26   #1
BHPian

Now an Indigo Compact

came across this article on ACI's website ... wow this car looks really small, but do we really need it ?

looks like TATA are planning in advance to take on FABIA sedan (which I guess hasnt been launched with the 2007 version yet, but is in the pipeline)

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

old fabia sedan pics

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...abia_Sedan.JPG

Mods : I couldnt find a thread for this, but if it already exists, please merge or delete
Old 25th October 2007, 02:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Tata. They seem to be coming out with one variant after another for each of their models. It just goes to show you just how much R&D is going on at Tata. The Indigo replacement is not too far away but they have chosen to come out with a notchback/compact. A notch at that price with class leading interior space and decent boot will be unstoppable.
Old 25th October 2007, 02:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even if they graft the Indica face, hope they do away with those plastic wheel arch protrusions. Although done to increase the overall width on paper (to match GETZ). Makes an otherwise mature design look wannabe.
Old 25th October 2007, 09:57   #4
BHPian

I think this is the same one that tushky had mentioned in another thread but couldnt post pictures of! Cant remember which thread that was though!
Old 25th October 2007, 10:37   #5
BHPian

Now, this is the compact car / notchback which should be a hit in the market (private buyers). At an entry price of less than Rs. 5.0 Lac (OTR, Bangalore) with an 70 bhp Dicor for its LS version or entry price of less than Rs. 5.5 Lac (OTR, Bangalore) with an 90 bhp Dicor for its LS version it will shame a few premium hatchbacks with its frugalness, practicality and value for money proposition. Then, the 90 bhp Dicor could be one of the cars that I will evaluate when I am buying another car to my family.

Great work, TATA.
Old 25th October 2007, 10:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the best proportioned Indigo yet.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:09   #7
BHPian

But didnt we already have an Indigo Compact - the Indica?
Old 25th October 2007, 12:20   #8
BHPian

@vikrantw1

nope this car is a smaller indigo with reduced boot.(like how there is Indigo XL long wheel base)

Tata's are moving very fast. If they can price it just slightly higher than Indica (considering that it is also less than 4 meters), a lot of people would be moving to it.

-Rahul
Old 25th October 2007, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
But didnt we already have an Indigo Compact - the Indica?
naa indica is a hatchback, whereas this would be a notchback ... an indica now fitted with a smaller boot
Old 25th October 2007, 12:27   #10
BHPian

People buying this car will only be the people who otherwise would have bought indica. Unless tatas come out with new interiors, better quality egeines and good fit and finish, I don't think they will be able create much flutter in the market with new versions of cars on the same platform. Indigo xl, dicor, 100bhp petrol, all are failures and example of the same.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

If they sell this with the 100bhp Indigo XL petrol engine it would hopefully be fun to drive, too.
Old 25th October 2007, 14:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Can't make out much from the disguised car pic.
Is the second pic a photoshop or original?
It'd be nice if they give it Accent Viva like rear but then that's expecting too much from the desi designers.

I wonder how Tata will position this; it could hurt both Indigo and Indica.
If the excise duty structure is made independent of car size in the next budget (there are some indications to this effect), this car would become redundant, unless they phase out the current Indigo.
Old 25th October 2007, 14:17   #13
BHPian

If this notchback version of Indigo is offered with 70/90 bhp dicor motor or 100 bhp petrol with loads of features and not to forget ABS + Airbag, then it will be a hit.

Doesn't it makes more sense to go for this car than spend 2.5 laks more for Verna and 4 laks more for Magnum diesel.

In my opinion they should not include the wheel flare arcs from Indica on this. It just makes the car look ugly.

This would be great job done by TATA is they launch this.
Old 25th October 2007, 14:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
If this notchback version of Indigo is offered with 70/90 bhp dicor motor or 100 bhp petrol with loads of features and not to forget ABS + Airbag, then it will be a hit.

Doesn't it makes more sense to go for this car than spend 2.5 laks more for Verna and 4 laks more for Magnum diesel.

In my opinion they should not include the wheel flare arcs from Indica on this. It just makes the car look ugly.

This would be great job done by TATA is they launch this.
The car sure looks much better now. Will surely do well if launched with right engines and ofcourse riced right.
Old 25th October 2007, 19:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If they sell this with the 100bhp Indigo XL petrol engine it would hopefully be fun to drive, too.
Probably yes, but not before they put in a tilt steering system. The steering position makes hard driving pretty unconventional.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks